Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 10-08-2006, 09:27 AM

Default Ingest Workflows? What\'s everyone doing for QT?

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post on the DUC and I'm very excited to be a part of the group!

I'm curious what everyone is doing for their quicktime ingest workflow. I've seen many different methods including using a second monitor and video breakout boxes. I'm especially interested in the possibilities working with the Mojo. Anyone have suggestions or case studies?

Thanks again!

Zach Seivers
Zach Seivers Sound Services
Old 10-08-2006, 09:40 AM

Default Re: Ingest Workflows? What\'s everyone doing for QT?

Quote:
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post on the DUC and I'm very excited to be a part of the group!

I'm curious what everyone is doing for their quicktime ingest workflow. I've seen many different methods including using a second monitor and video breakout boxes. I'm especially interested in the possibilities working with the Mojo. Anyone have suggestions or case studies?

Thanks again!

Zach Seivers
Hi Zach, Welcome!!!

There are a thousand different ways.... Some people use the canopus ADVC-110, Others use Mojo, while still others use Virtual VTR, etc. My preference would be to use VVTR, since that removes the workload from the computer...depends on your needs. Mojo looks great, but if your overall workflow is Final Cut Pro based, then perhaps it isn't a great choice. What I would suggest is for you to tell us what your setup, workflow, and budget are because then people can recommend a workflow based on experience.

-Todd A.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:56 AM

Thanks for the quick response Todd!

My budget is probably going to be under $2000 and I currently work with Avid editors on EPK and TV spots. So, the turnaround is very quick and right now our method is to render a QT in the Avid and I have a Panasonic plasma that I use as a second monitor. I haven't had any sync problems, although I've heard to watch out for that. The system works fine for what we are doing with the exception of the time it takes to render QT mixdowns.

They are also, very often, sending me 15:1 media, which looks pretty horrible. Sometimes, when we QC, they will take the time to output 1:1 quality QTs. But when we are busy, it's simply not possible due to the amount of time it takes.

They are considering changing the workflow so that the editor will simply output to a digibeta, in real time of course, and then ingest that media into a FCP station. The capture scratch will then contain a DV QT which I can then import into Pro Tools directly. I'm not sure how much time this will actually save. And, it seems like it opens up a can of worms in trying to maintain sync.

Anyway, I suppose it's a multipart question. One would say how do you get the media into QT form? And then how are you going to play it back?

Personally, I'm comfortable with my current method of playback as I'm not experiencing any system performance issues. I'm more concerned with how to get the video from Avid into my machine.

Any help you guys can provide would be awesome!

Thanks,

Zach Seivers
Old 10-08-2006, 10:03 AM

Hi,
FWIW, we get a DVCAM output from the pix department and load it (realtime, obviously) into Virtual VTR. Works great, looks at least as good as what's in the Avid, and can be loaded exactly as we need it, eliminating the "oops, wrong codec" or "I just gave you a low-rez, 'cause the high-rez seemed too big" problems.

Good luck!

Joe

IMDB

Puget Sound on Facebook
Old 10-08-2006, 05:37 PM

I took the Digidesign Post course last April and it seems most studios using Avid and PT HD are using the Mojo.

Regards,
Bruce
Issaquah, WA 98027
Old 10-08-2006, 06:35 PM

hey Bruce, nice name for your company!
I'm from Seattle, and nobody down here can pronounce "Puget". But then, they'd have a hell of a time w/ Issaquah or Puyallup too:)

Joe

IMDB

Puget Sound on Facebook
Old 10-09-2006, 04:33 AM

I am using mojo; but I am a former canopus user. I mixed on a stage with VVTR, and it was pretty painless, but that is my only experience with it, and we had techs dealing with the ingest; so I didn't get a hands on. I have to say that with 7.2, mojo is the way to go if you are under a tight deadline; especially if you are working with avid picture. If you are not going through picture changes very often, and ingesting a 90+ minute program that will not change daily, then VVTR or other dependable "outside of the box" solution is the obvious choice since it takes so much load off the PT computers. I would recommend canopus, but once I upgraded to mojo; I started to really feel sync. I don't know how to explain it, but the DV boxes feel a bit "sloshy", especially when looping a section. Also, the ability to capture to the timeline while genlocked takes away some of the paranoia I get with other ingest procedures.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:54 AM

Default Re: Ingest Workflows? What\'s everyone doing for QT

i use VVTR and love it. initial setup can seem a little confusing, but once you got it, it is pretty fantastic! ingest is quite easy. you can play any format that your card will allow...even uncompressed (if you have the setup). i can even play animation codec. i can switch between jobs in less than a minute. any frame rate. HD (if you have the hardware). you can use any video card you chose: decklink, aja, aurora.... multiple movies in your bin. takes ZERO processing off of your DAW cpu. doesn't take a PCI card. scrubbing is tight... la, la, la...

for an AVID workflow, mojo seems to make sense. and with 7.2 (and beyond) mojo makes more sense. you do need to use a dedicated FW port and/or a PCI-FW card and it does take processing power off of the DAW cpu... VVTR is restricted to Quicktime movies. nothing is perfect.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 10-09-2006, 09:11 AM

Quote:
i use VVTR and love it. initial setup can seem a little confusing, but once you got it, it is pretty fantastic! ingest is quite easy. you can play any format that your card will allow...even uncompressed (if you have the setup). i can even play animation codec. i can switch between jobs in less than a minute. any frame rate. HD (if you have the hardware). you can use any video card you chose: decklink, aja, aurora.... multiple movies in your bin. takes ZERO processing off of your DAW cpu. doesn't take a PCI card. scrubbing is tight... la, la, la...

for an AVID workflow, mojo seems to make sense. and with 7.2 (and beyond) mojo makes more sense. you do need to use a dedicated FW port and/or a PCI-FW card and it does take processing power off of the DAW cpu... VVTR is restricted to Quicktime movies. nothing is perfect.
It sounds like a great box. Probably an even better solution than Mojo for most purposes. Unfortunately the Mojo does eat up the host when using QT now in 7.2, and it has me limited to an HD2 accel at the moment because I won't spring for a chasis nor the headache that goes along with it; at least from my experience. Avid video is flawless though. I think I might take a good look at VVTR though for those very reasons.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:59 PM

Quote:

FYI, VirtualVTR can natively play *all* qualities of Avid Meridien, DV25 and DV50 format (and 10 bit) with a QuickTime reference wrapper, using the Avid QuickTime codecs. This allows a very rapid 'export' from Avid (using the 'same as source' option), so no transcoding is necessary. Also supports 23.98 and 24 FPS qt wrapped Avid movies. Some of the larger mix stages are now blowing up 24 FPS avid movies using VirtualVTR to HD 24p so that its doing a true progressive scan projection with no 3:2, just like the old days projecting film.....

Apparently Directors really appreciate the difference between 24p (as HD 1080p) and 3:2-interlaced-NTSC projection. Even though the raw content is the same, avoiding the 3:2 and interlace makes a huge difference.