Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 12-17-2018, 03:53 AM

Default Audio PC Build

Hello,

I am in for a new PC that is designed for Audio and a little Video Production.

On my old Computer I used Pro Tools 10-Pro Tools 12 and my latest Version is Pro Tools 2018.4.

My current Setup is i5 3570 with 16GB Ram and Windows 7 Home Premium.

Lately the Computer is getting pretty loud and it also starts to lag when I am doing a little bit heavier Mixing. I don't do this professionally so I don't need a super fast Computer.

I wanted to get a good price Performance Ratio. The Computer needs to be more quiet than my actual one. After treating my Room acoustacilly it is sometimes pretty annoying to hear the fan of my actual Setup.

I think I know what I wanted to get as Hosuing and Power Supply:

https://www.bequiet.com/de/case/1472
https://www.bequiet.com/de/powersupp...wer-pro-11/761

As A Hdd I would get a Samsung 860 EVO 500GB.

The Main thing I am not sure about is the CPU and the Motherboard. Maybe someone can give me some Tips what would be a good purchase what would keep me up to date for a few years.

I think I will go for the Intel Route cause most Sites, I read, refer to them to be more stable than the AMD CPU's when it comes to Audio Production.
Maybe someone can suggest some of the Intel Sockets with Pro's and Con's.

As I mentioned, the PC will be only for Audio Work and maybe in the Future a little Video Production. I do a lot of Editing and Guitar Recording in Pro Tools 2018 but I also have Cubase 8.5 Pro and I am thinking of working with Reaper as Well. I don't work with a lot of Sample Libraries or Virtual Instruments. Mosty it's real Drums, Guitar, Bass and Vocals. But this could easily ad up to 100 Tracks and more in some Cases.

My Audio Interface is a RME Fireface UC.

Heavy Greetz
Old 12-17-2018, 09:48 AM

Default Re: Audio PC Build

Pre-built: www.pro-tools-pc.com

You Built: Ask here
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 12-17-2018, 03:06 PM

Quote:
As A Hdd I would get a Samsung 860 EVO 500GB.
I would not waste time building a new PC and using a SATA SSD. Not when there are stunningly fast PCIe/NVMe drives available like the 970 Pro or 970 Evo and lots of motherboard M.2 slot support.
Old 12-17-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
I would not waste time building a new PC and using a SATA SSD. Not when there are stunningly fast PCIe/NVMe drives available like the 970 Pro or 970 Evo and lots of motherboard M.2 slot support.
1TB and 2TB NVMe SSDs are still pretty staggeringly expensive. A SATA SSD might not be such a bad thing for bulk storage, samples, sound fx, etc...

I plan to get 2 512GB NVMe SSDs for my new computer, one for the OS and one as a primary recording and session drive. Then a 1 or 2TB SATA SSD for bulk storage.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 12-17-2018, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
1TB and 2TB NVMe SSDs are still pretty staggeringly expensive. A SATA SSD might not be such a bad thing for bulk storage, samples, sound fx, etc...

I plan to get 2 512GB NVMe SSDs for my new computer, one for the OS and one as a primary recording and session drive. Then a 1 or 2TB SATA SSD for bulk storage.
2TB Samsung 970 Evo NVMe ~$540
2TB Samsung 860 Evo SATA ~$300

There had been significant price reduction for all these drives in the last year. I would not call that price difference staggering given the perfornance is so significantly faster. When looking at boot/systems drives get the fastest drive you can, it makes the whole computer snappier.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:39 PM

@JCB

Why spend a lot on a bulk storage SSD when spinners for storage are almost free nowadays? I would spend that extra cash on bigger drives like 1TB for main and 1TB for recording/session drive purposes. Don’t know when SSD drives will become storage drives here but so far we have WDC Black 2-3 TB drives for storage and honestly I trust them maybe even more than having SSD’s for that purpose.

We of course run SSD’s for recording and mirror backups and OS drives but for storing we only use WDC Black since they Are very cheap and fast enough for what we use them for

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-18-2018, 12:45 AM

Hey,

I don't need fast SSD's for Storage. I got a few different 1 TB Drives for my Storage Needs. Right now I only have one SSD's for my Main System Hardrive and all my Projects are on a seperate SATA HDD with 7200rpm. Never had an Issue with the Drive speed so far. But I am planning on adding a seperate SSD for Projects I work on later. So I got one SSD for the System Drive and one for my Project Drive.

I had a look at the Thread about the PC Build but that seems to be a bit confusing cause it's pretty unstructured.

My Main concern is which Socket I should get and if more cores are really better. I don't really know how the Plugins use the CPU.

Heavy Greetz