Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 03-23-2005, 05:36 PM

Default 1st time caller, long time listener

First, let me say that after a typically frustrating day wrasslin' with this newfangled technology that seems to stand directly in the path of me creating any music, it was helpful to read through some of the other posts here and see things like "I think I'm having a stroke" and "pro Tools made me cry today." At least it's not just me.

I'm definitely dedicating what's left of my mind to the the above sticky about recommended setup, but was wondering if any of you could give me some insight into the error message taht has sapped my will to live for the last 9 hours.

I'm running PT 6 (M Box) on a 533 MHZ G4 with 896 MB of Ram. I have OSX and I have two (partitioned) 40 GB Harddrives with my PT applications seperate from other applications.I was getting a ton of CPU error messages whenever I ventured above 6 or 7 tracks, so I gathered that it had to do with my harddrive speed. I recently purchased a Pacific Pro Audio firewire drive with the Oxford 911 chipset, thiking that would sort me out.

I have 6 tracks from a recent live show that a friend put on the firewire for me. I'm not usinga ton of plug ins or anything, but when I tried to add an extra track to the existing ones, I kept getting the following error message:

"DAE cannot get audio from discs fast enough. Firewire disk could be having trouble due to extra firewire bandwith or CPU load (-9073)."

Any thoughts? And advice would be very much appreciated. I'm off to have some totally analog choclate pudding and rock gently back and forth.
Old 03-23-2005, 05:58 PM

Default Re: 1st time caller, long time listener

Hmmm. What would I do if I were in your position? Besides linger over that pudding?

Well, after trying all of the standard troubleshooting measures (see the link OS X/Pro Tools 6.x setup and general troubleshooting at the top of this forum's first page) such as trashing the Digidesign Databases folders on all your drives and restarting the computer and possibly even uninstalling and reinstalling Pro Tools, then I might try some things such as seeing if it makes any difference to try to run Pro Tools without both drives. And maybe I'd transfer the session to the PowerMac itself and try to open it...just to see if that made a difference. And if I really had to accomplish something with those recorded tracks soon, maybe I'd mix three or four of them down to a single stereo track and then continue mixing with a reduced track count.

Any luck with the troubleshooting so far?
Old 03-23-2005, 06:12 PM

Default Re: 1st time caller, long time listener

Thanks for the answer. Funnily enough, a friend suggested dragging the session over to my HD2 and I was able to do some work with it there (lots of the spinning beachball, but at least I laid down the track I wanted). It just confuses me since the idea was to use the FW drive's faster speed.

More ideas welcome.