Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2004, 06:19 PM

Default Re: It\'s Official:Mix Support coming to an End!!

Quote:
I myself just picked up a MIX3 system for $3050. Tis the patient man who reaps the benefits.

Wow. I don't mean to cast any aspersions upon where you got that deal but after checking ebay closings it must've been from a crack head who was getting evicted and owed Tony Soprano a major gambling debt, Systems are a bit lower now (I did find some 888/24 s for $800 ish and finally mix farms are coming down) but they are around a third less than they were 2 years ago. Thats still not too bad. Compare that to the performance of HD process cards which must've lost around half their value in only 1 year.
Old 04-24-2004, 08:59 PM

Quote:
There is something to be said for the fat OS9 plugins folder, and let's just leave it at that. Eventually, the same OSX folder will be fat too!
Soundboy, I hope Digi takes note I am so tired of all this blatant stealing
Old 04-24-2004, 10:26 PM

Quote:
There is something to be said for the fat OS9 plugins folder, and let's just leave it at that. Eventually, the same OSX folder will be fat too!
If iLok gets cracked I will. . . Currently most mix systems (my competitors)have the fat Plugin Folders, while all my plugins are licenced. Ok, I can live with that because Digi promised to get this under control, but if months from now these people are running HD on OSX with free fat plugin folders, after I have dumped $10k+ on plugins, I will be way past livid . . . I hope Pace/Digi have done a better job of protecting their technology, and our anti-up investment for the toolsets, this time round.
Old 04-24-2004, 11:45 PM

Quote:
There is something to be said for the fat OS9 plugins folder, and let's just leave it at that.
Don't you mean phat?
Old 04-24-2004, 11:48 PM

Quote:
I am amazed how people who make their living (or want to make their living) creating copyrighted works have little to no sensitivity to those that make their tools.

You should trash your "fat" plugins folder at once and apologize to the software developers you've been stealing from by having the cracks on your machine.
Maybe you should read this thread? Or, all the other threads dealing with iLok headaches.
You know, it kinda sucks having clients paying $1000/day when your purchased plug-ins aren't able to load. Actually, it really sucks.
Old 04-25-2004, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Introduced in September of 1998, Pro Tools|24 MIX systems have provided many years of service for our customers. However, for Digidesign to continue to develop new features and refine existing ones, it is necessary for us to focus development and testing on our currently manufactured systems. Consequently, we regret to have to announce that the upcoming Pro Tools 6.4.1 software release will be the last that will include support for Pro Tools|24 MIX systems.

Pro Tools|24 MIX Systems are Not Compatible with Apple Power Mac G5s
The architectural changes in the Power Mac G5's PCI bus combined with the more than six-year-old architecture of Pro Tools|24 MIX presented technical challenges too substantial to take on in the available timeframe. Preliminary testing and development indicated that the risks of undertaking a full effort were significant, due to the disparities between older and newer technologies. For this reason, Pro Tools|24 MIX systems will remain incompatible with Power Mac G5s.
This is sad news

So in 6 years we can expect a thread on the DUC where the words "Pro Tools|24 MIX Systems" and "G5" are replaced by the words "ICON" and "G9"?... How in earth will the ICON ever obtain a 'Vintage Neve' or 'Old SSL' reputation with this polecy?

Old 04-25-2004, 11:49 AM

Quote:
[Maybe you should read this thread? Or, all the other threads dealing with iLok headaches.
You know, it kinda sucks having clients paying $1000/day when your purchased plug-ins aren't able to load. Actually, it really sucks.
So it's OK to steal if the product you are stealing doesn't work perfectly?

The hypocrisy of some creators astounds me.
Old 04-25-2004, 01:47 PM

Default Re: It\'s Official:Mix Support coming to an End!! *DELETED*

Post deleted by Chief Technician
Old 04-25-2004, 07:32 PM

One HD Accel card equals roughly a Mix 3 system nothing wrong with that kind of a speed increase. When Mix came out the top end computer I think was a 9600/350 (G2 Processor)

I don't hear anybody complaining that Accel does not run on a 9600!

You can keep your Mix system as long as you want. It will not stop working. I am sure there are people out somewhere using Nubus systems as well.
Old 04-25-2004, 07:45 PM

I've just noticed something that kinda annoys me - I upgraded to PT6.2.3, off the digistore last month. Shortly before all these announcements came. I paid $195 (or VERY similar) to upgrade from 5.1.1. Now I find, 5.1 owners can upgrade for $35.

WHAT??

Can I expect a refund?