How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2013, 06:22 PM
Avid

Default Re: Eleven Rack GUI in PT11

The Chimp is still at Avid! I don't get to the DUC much these days, but I just wanted to say hi to you guys. Good to see the community is still thriving!

Sorry we had to drop the control window in PT 11...please know that WE know that the #1 idea for Eleven Rack on Ideascale is a standalone editor for Mac and Windows...and there are still people at Avid who care about Eleven Rack.

Enjoy NAMM, if you happen to go!

-Chimp
P&S Creative Professional
AVID
Old 12-20-2013, 06:28 PM

I'm glad I waited on purchasing 11, 10 is fine, but no gui is a reason to not upgrade in my situation.

It would be cool to have pt 11 features, but the eleven rack's full functionality is more valuable to me as a recording guitarist than 64 bit or offline bounce is.

I'm sure other studio techs don't care about the rack and absolutely love offline bounce.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChimp View Post
The Chimp is still at Avid! I don't get to the DUC much these days, but I just wanted to say hi to you guys. Good to see the community is still thriving!

Sorry we had to drop the control window in PT 11...please know that WE know that the #1 idea for Eleven Rack on Ideascale is a standalone editor for Mac and Windows...and there are still people at Avid who care about Eleven Rack.

-Chimp
Nice of you to drop by! The fact that you mentioned NAMM...Is that a subtle hint that there might be something new or updated in the world of guitar products?
Old 12-21-2013, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChimp View Post

-Chimp
Thanks for dropping by. Going from what you say here about dropping the control window in PT11 - does that mean it will never come back in PT11? And further - why DID the control window have to be dropped? Not being sarcastic - inquiring minds want to know.

Have a safe Holidays!

QAPLA!
Old 12-21-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Thanks for dropping by. Going from what you say here about dropping the control window in PT11 - does that mean it will never come back in PT11? And further - why DID the control window have to be dropped? Not being sarcastic - inquiring minds want to know.

Have a safe Holidays!
If I recall correctly, we only found out that this had been dropped when PT11 was released, but wasn't there a promise at the time that it would be brought back later (probably in a 'dot release' version)? Surely, this would have enticed 11R users to PT11? Hopefully, The Chimp is hinting at a late Christmas present at NAMM! :)
Old 12-21-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Righty27 View Post
If I recall correctly, we only found out that this had been dropped when PT11 was released, but wasn't there a promise at the time that it would be brought back later (probably in a 'dot release' version)? Surely, this would have enticed 11R users to PT11? Hopefully, The Chimp is hinting at a late Christmas present at NAMM! :)
We were told well before 11 released that the control window would not be present in 11 till a later update.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 12-21-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
We were told well before 11 released that the control window would not be present in 11 till a later update.
Thanks guitardom - that's what I thought i.e. Avid stated that it would come. So they must have determined that it was do-able (not just from a technical standpoint) and took a business decision to develop it.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
I know that but I'm wondering if things have changed in the meantime and Avid's software geeks found something out that it can't be done? I'm saying that in light of what The Chimp wrote here. He said that they were sorry they had to drop the control window and were cognizant of the fact a standalone editor was the #1 thing on Ideascale. It doesn't take a psychic reading the tea leaves to take that as the control window won't be showing up in PT11 and that if anything there will be a standalone editor for the 11R instead.

QAPLA!
Old 12-22-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I know that but I'm wondering if things have changed in the meantime and Avid's software geeks found something out that it can't be done? I'm saying that in light of what The Chimp wrote here. He said that they were sorry they had to drop the control window and were cognizant of the fact a standalone editor was the #1 thing on Ideascale. It doesn't take a psychic reading the tea leaves to take that as the control window won't be showing up in PT11 and that if anything there will be a standalone editor for the 11R instead.

"Can't be done" would be hard to fathom, if just staying with support within Pro Tools only then there is not much "there there" in the Eleven Rack GUI. It is just some very simple in concept plugins talking midi control over USB to the Eleven Rack box. And the Basic GUI stuff for AAX is clearly well shaken out. But there are lots of little bits to do and if it was being done by say a contractor new to this then it might well take time.

I would be careful reading tea leaves from primates, but OTOH if Avid bit the bullet and decided to do a full stand alone editor then they have the choice of writing that in AAX and shipping with a stand-alone AAX runtime (maybe using bits they already have from the SDK?) or rewriting a GUI completely outside of AAX or maybe using just bits of the AAX GUI code--to help with cross platform portability. It could well take time to shake that extra stuff out and get it shippable. And if you do a stand alone editor do you also do an editor that will run inside Pro Tools to cleanly handle things like track embedding. Maybe that leads you to want to do an AAX-64 port that can run as a plugin or stand-alone in a separate AAX runtime or need hooks in Pro Tools or a plugin in Pro Tools to handle that communication with a stand alone GUI.

Ah idle speculation.... personally I am beyond really worrying, the Eleven Rack works great for what I need and I barely use the GUI. If something happens there then I will be pleasantly surprised.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:34 AM

Standalone editor probably won't let me embed rigs into the tracks right? Not completely ideal.