Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2000, 04:31 AM

Default we sure could use some chat rooms

I can see why you vets get frustrated. Only having been an owner and
participator for a couple weeks, I can see all the redundancy in both
questions and answers throughout the DUC. Any ideas out there on how
we could "chat"? It would be great for newbees and vets alike...
Old 03-20-2000, 08:25 AM

Default Re: we sure could use some chat rooms

..but on the other hand, problems are "redundant" too...it's not like someone is never gonna get another 6042 error, freak out and ask the DUC...it seems like it's working rather well....people ask redundant questions, yes, but the answers are always there and friendly too... it's just human to ask first, search later...

For me, "chatting" is a giant timewaster. You gotta be there....with the DUC you can post a question and go on about life. We are supposed to be professionals here, arent' we? (so why am I sitting here writing this instead of making music....??? Hmmmm.....)

[This message has been edited by Gary Stadler (edited March 20, 2000).]
Old 03-20-2000, 09:25 AM

Gary, groovatism,

I thought about that the other day, it is human nature to ask first, although, a lot of newbees post first....lately some newbees have been posting the same question numerous times, SO IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO FOLLOW A THREAD!!!!! I always search the DUC and find answers first, it's fast and entertaining. I never chat (or video conference any more) and think that it would take away a professional aspect from the DUC. In fact I recently dismissed a good friend, who was always chatting when I would return his call or when he called me. I think that it is very disrespectful to chat on-line while I am spending my time to speak with someone on the phone....it really annoys me.....I just hate chat all around and I don't list an email address here for that and a zillion other reasons.......

As far as working....I always post here while an hour long real time dump from dat is going into the system; or during a long audio processing job, always a job in progress...24/7.

The comments I made about people getting shocked inside a MAC, were made after reading numerous posts where the posting party, mis-spelled alomost every simple word in a posted question. It used to be that if a person could afford and knew about a DAW; you could assume that person had a certain level of knowledge of all the sciences involved......now I don't assume that at all.

I understand your idea groovatism, (so no dis' intended) I am just against the whole MTV mentality, that chat represents so well.

I have been a PT user for more than a decade, every day, every way. If the new folks would listen for a mili sec. They might learn from the wealth of professionals around here.....Instead, it seems like they ask a question without reading the manuals, even once, and then pay no attention to the anwers posted.

I do think that digidesign should post a searchable manual on their web-site, for every product........

Regards

e

[This message has been edited by Godzilla, in a cranky mood (edited March 20, 2000).]

Old 03-20-2000, 11:11 AM
Administrator

I've been involved in some live chat sessions with Tech Support experiments both here and when I was at Opcode, and it just didn't seem to be effective at all. Too much lag time seemed to be the biggest problem. While you were typing a response, 5 other questions came in, making it all kind of confusing.

As far as users to users chat, one way to go about this is to use ICQ. If you want to go that way, you can put your ICQ Number in your DUC Profile. You're welcome to set up a regularly scheduled or one time session and post it here. If there is a lot of interest, we can create a separate forum for that purpose. I haven't used ICQ in quite some time, but current software and info is available at www.icq.com

Other topics...

A lot of people don't realize that the Acrobat manuals on their Pro Tools CD ROM are completely searchable. PT 5 and LE include the entire reference manual in electronic form for the first time. I use the search function to look stuff up quickly all the time.
We try to put as many documents as possible online as well, but feel that the Reference Manual should still be reserved for registered owners. For now, anyway.

Our support people also get a bit weary of answering the same questions repeatedly. It's been suggested that we create an FAQ Read Only section right here on the DUC, since there will always be some people won't use the links already provided. We'll probably go ahead and do that since it may help. I don't usually get annoyed when someone asks "is this compatible?" without looking at the compatibility documents, but I will usually direct them to the link rather than answer the question for them.
Kind of the old philosophy:
You can give a man a fish and feed him for a day, or you can teach him to fish and feed him for a lifetime.

I have to say also that the help that so many users are giving other users is tremendous, and really, really appreciated by all.

------------------
Bruce Paine
eMarketing
Old 03-20-2000, 02:20 PM

When I was teaching music technology...back in the early '90s....I never minded different students asking the same question, or even the SAME student asking the SAME question (maybe my original answer contained some ambiguity or difficult tautology)............
I'm as much as a RTFM kinda guy as the next featherless biped, but I don't mind posts which ask the same/similar questions, as they usually contain seemingly minor differences eg OS/CPU etc..etc which are often significant in the long run..................
...I think I'll stop now........and go and play the piano..!!..(quick nurse...the screens!!!)

Old 03-20-2000, 03:26 PM

batman,

Hey whats up groove meister.

Yes I enjoy the heck outta' the newbies questions and don't mind answering them, if I can. As of late the same newbies have been posting the same question, several times on the board, all in a few minutes. As I am trying to respond to the question, I find that another digi user answered it in another thread, so I cannot follow the threads easily. All I am saying is try to condense the information newbies, WE LOVE YA', but post it all on one thread if possible, not the same question with a different title in 3 or 5 threads. That way we can all enjoy the answers and respond as per what other users have added.....

NWEBIES PLEASE GIVE ME SOMETHING TO DO WHILE PROCESSING FILES OR DUMPING ,TO DAT OR WHILE MY WIFE HAS LOCKED ME IN THE CAN (pwr book up link). I think we all welcome you and enjoy the heck outta' helping you if we can.

With Best Regards

e
Old 03-20-2000, 04:55 PM

I'd like to see something started. Not as a help resource, just a fun and casual place for us to meet and bs with each other.

Maybe digi could have a rep on at specific hours to field questions, or take the temperature.

Will need a link to a good page explaining how to set up irc tho.

------------------
Angelo Quaglia
AQ Productions

Cheers,
Angelo Quaglia
Old 03-20-2000, 08:41 PM

Yeah, what Angelo said...fun...
Maybe I can shed more light on this. True, we're all inolved in P-T to a
greater or lesser degree, but I assume we're all also musicians and humans.
The more, and closer, the interaction, the better. Sure, I work my butt off,
record, fix gear, play music, but communicating with people of similar interests
is vital. Everyone can learn something from everyone, no matter what level
of accomplishment they're currently at. I've on occasion learned a thing or
two from my guitar students.
I guess since several people not only read, but replied to this posting,
maybe some people woulld view a "chat" as a waste of time or distraction
from their work, but many would feel like Angelo. I'm going to look into
this as suggested, will keep you posted.
Thanks again, guys, for your time and input...
Old 03-21-2000, 12:11 AM

Editor- I think we'd probably make good friends!!
Old 03-21-2000, 07:57 PM

Groovatism, I wouldn't mind starting something on irc with or without Digi.

Email me if you're interested and we can talk about which servers and yada yada.

[email protected]

------------------
Angelo Quaglia
AQ Productions

Cheers,
Angelo Quaglia