Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2015, 11:22 AM

Default Re: Why avid has no news about EI Capitan

Best thing to do is stay at Yosemite for now even though we all know El Capitan makes Yosemite feel like crap. I would be on Mavericks but my GTX 750 TI won't work in Mavericks. Snow Leopard and Mavericks IMO are the two best Apple has ever released.
Old 12-01-2015, 02:57 PM

I am stunned as well that it is taking so long. Almost every other company is already on board - Avid seems to always hate anything that came out of Digidesign - It is as if AVID intentionally wants all traces of their involvement in hardware to be a distant memory. I don't think AVID will be happy until every hardware unit has been tossed away - and not hurrying to support the MBox is a big step forward in this goal.
Old 12-07-2015, 09:29 PM

There's support for MBox pro on El Capitan now, just not the regular one (like I have) unfortunately. But whatever, it doesn't help that Apple releases a new OS version every ten minutes.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:37 AM

Why would there be support for the MBox3Pro and not the MB3? How much extra work could there be to get this done? Did the programmer go to lunch and forget what he was working on? You'd think it would take about an extra 20 minutes of coding to finish the project.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:54 AM

The Mbox 3 Pro is a Firewire device, the Mbox 3 is USB. They are completely separate drivers. I'm not sure what had/has to be done to get drivers to be compatible with El Capitan, but either there was less work to be done with the Pro, or it was higher priority.

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM
Old 12-08-2015, 10:37 AM

Thanks, Joel. I may head to EBay to check prices on the Pro - I'd prefer ] to buy an Apollo Twin or 8 but they are pretty pricey. I have been disappointed with my MBox3 because it has mechanical flaws - like an extreme jump in volume on one of the Gain pots (many have reported this). There are other things - like uneven output from the speaker plugs on the back - - - - I don't know.

But - I had missed the fact the the 3Pro is Firewire.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:54 AM

The reason why the Mbox Pro is qualified and Mbox 3 is not is because of USB Compliant compatibility issues with El Capitan. This has been a know issue with some USB devices aside from Avid. I believe Apple is aware and I would guess that Avid is waiting for Apple to aid in the bug fix with a 10.11.2 release. Just a wild guess but I would agree that Avid is taking a long time.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelG View Post
The Mbox 3 Pro is a Firewire device, the Mbox 3 is USB. They are completely separate drivers. I'm not sure what had/has to be done to get drivers to be compatible with El Capitan, but either there was less work to be done with the Pro, or it was higher priority.

Joel
There is general USB incompatibility with USB devices in El Capitan. The Mbox Pro driver wasn't even updated. Avid saw that it worked with the latest driver on the site and because it is a FireWire device it does not experience the same issues as USB devices
Old 12-08-2015, 06:30 PM

I prefer believing that Apple is the problem. And what I have just read could make sense.Still, Apple has had some updates sine the original release of El Capitan in September. You would think that a USB compatibility problems would have been a HUGE issue for Apple.
But we are due for another update on the OS X soon - I really hope this solves the problem.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ormond View Post
I prefer believing that Apple is the problem. And what I have just read could make sense.Still, Apple has had some updates sine the original release of El Capitan in September. You would think that a USB compatibility problems would have been a HUGE issue for Apple.
But we are due for another update on the OS X soon - I really hope this solves the problem.
10.11.2 is out