Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2006, 11:53 AM

Default DiskTools - This is tragic !

Hey,

Just lost my 200GB Lacie d2 drive. Lot of stuff gone :-0

The thing is, I've done all the "right" things like ejecting drives before
removing FW cables AND I've been using DiskWarrior on a regular basis.

It's happened a couple of times before and I've got this nagging feeling that DiskWarrior is to blame.
Am I the only one with this suspicion about DW - Is it better just stick to OSX's own tools ?

I'd really appreciate your insight on this one !!

Thanks
Jacob
Old 04-07-2006, 08:56 PM

Default Re: DiskTools - To Use or Not To Use that\'s the Q ?

I've never had a problem with disk warrior. However, I have had issues with Mac's own tools. Running disc utility and repairing permissions on my audio drive has inadvertently trashed large amounts of audio files. Neither disk warrior or norton was able to recover any of the lost data. Since that horrific experience, I've always defaulted to Disk Warrior, and only repaired disc permissions on my system drive. I've always used disk warrior as a prefered app over Norton. My collegues at my studio seem to agree that it does a better job a defragmenting/repairing drives.

Hope this helps,

Matt Grimm
PT 11 HDN
Omni
Old 04-07-2006, 10:52 PM

Not sure what is to blame, but I had 3 Lacie d2 drive's go bad within a 2 week period. They would not even power up. Someone a while back had mentioned that the Lacie d2 drives get very hot and unless there is proper ventalation they can have some problems. I lost a lot of data. These were my back up drives. Luckily they came up one day and I was able to get really important files off before they totally crashed forever.

I have heard that DiskWarrior works well. I use TechTool and it does great. I have had no other problems with any other drives, knock on wood, and have been doing hard disk recording for over 10 years. I now back up to a min of 2 locations just in case.
Old 04-08-2006, 02:13 AM

Before you go and run the risk of doing more damage…

LaCie drives are notoriously prone to chronic failure… of their power supply.

As a matter of fact, it coincidentally happened here again today. One of the four d2's currently in use here*, simply gave up the ghost today. Or did it? I swapped the PS for the drive in question and it sprung to life like a digital Lazarus.

* They belong to the client, I sure wouldn’t buy ’em.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 04-08-2006, 02:43 AM

To defend LaCies, we use lots and lots and lots of them. We record orchestral sessions directly to them (even although our rigs have both removable Firewire and SCSI Rorke bays our assistants, say they see a better performance with the LaCies on intense sessions), we back up to them, clients take their mixes away on them. We probably use about 30 per month.
In the last 12 months we have had one drive dead on arrival (straight out the box), otherwise we have not had a single drive failure in recent history. We have never had a power supply failure.
About 12 to 18 months ago we saw a greater number of dead on arrivals, but had a word with LaCie and they changed supplier of the hard drives, since then we have not had any problems.
We would not even think about using anybody else's Firewire drives - we have seen lots of failures of a whole variety of client's own drives.
Old 04-08-2006, 03:57 AM

Thanks for your replies guys,

It's good to know i'm not the only one....(actually it's not !! - I'm just being selfish ;-)

Did any of you have random little "squeeek" noises coming from your drive, in the period leading up to
it's final breath.....I mean burst !!

Jacob.

PS. I'll try another PSU as soon as DataRescue is finished.
Old 04-09-2006, 05:15 PM

Just lost my 320 GB Lacie d2 drive as well !!

What's going on ?
Is my FW buss haunted or something ??

This is so depressing

J.

PS. Mostly back-ups, but still......1/2 a TB lost in 2 days......!
Old 04-09-2006, 06:25 PM

Yeah, I've heard those squeeks. Not random, but a steady pulse. Just a minute or so before my Seagate Barracuda died. No likey.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:00 PM

Default Re: DiskTools - To Use or Not To Use that\'s the Q

How's the power in your place? Ever notice any lights dimming or other anomalies? I used to have a rash of bad hard drives when I lived in an apartment with bad power. Adding a UPS has, to the day, prevented any further loss.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:54 PM

I have 2 friends that use Lacie Drives and both of them have experienced loss of data. I use Maxtor, Segate, IBM/Hitachi, and Western Digital Drives. I have had issues with IBM a coupel of issues and Maxtors - I have probably sent 10 or 12 drives back to Maxtor (1 the other day). I have never sent a WD or Seagate back ever. I have over 30 drives.
I bought a Lacie ( the only one ) it failed less than a week old, I exchanged it for a Seagte.
Maxtor, Lacie, IBM/Hitachi are all on my do not ever again list.