Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio

Old 02-24-2021, 02:20 PM

Default Re: MTRX Studio and DVS Monitoring

Hi Jan,
Thank you very much indeed for the info. Penta is definitely a beautiful piece of advanced tech and definitely the way to go on the long run! Looks like a perfect way to expand the Mtrx Studio, I am so glad you brought it to my attention! I will probably get it as soon as my budget allows. Until then I need a „temporary solution” that will keep studio running- I can hook the bricasti to mtrx in analog for now, but the problem is with my stereo mastering converters- they use AES to connect. So... will probably have to get the AVIO thingy but you got me REALLY scared with the src. Let me ask a basic question here... say I run a mastering session in 96k in PT ( Mtrx getting 96 clock via digilink) and connect AVIO AES to the second rj45 at the back of mtrx studio unit and hook the stereo Da and DA converters there and clock them as slaves to MTRX ( wordclock?). Will it mean any additional src going on? Or anything that would compromise the quality?
If not I could perform this until I get the Penta unit. Thank you in advance for your time !
Old 02-24-2021, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntp-jl View Post
And the cool part about this, is that the Penta 721s is also controlled by the same DADman software you already use for the MTRX Studio.

Does that mean that the preamps might also be controllable via pro tools as well, like the MTRX pre's are?
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 02-25-2021, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativecontrol View Post
Greetings,

Glad to hear you are making progress. Unfortunately DVS doesn't really have the ability to adapt to different rates by following another piece of hardware on the Dante network. Focusrite has this ability for example with their PCIeR card - if you were using that to route system audio - to automatically track the rate of another device on the network which is super handy. It would be fabulous to see Audinate add this kind of functionality into future DVS versions. For now, you need to manually open up Device View in Dante Controller and change the sample rate of DVS to match the rate of your MTRX. I would encourage you and everyone else to feed this back to Audinate and perhaps we can all influence better behaviors.

best,

Jeff
OK this explains why I loose DVS Mac audio piped via Dante into MTRX Studio when I open a PT session that’s at 44.1k? Normally I’m at 48k.

I actually have the Focusrite PCIe Dante card for routing audio from Abelton Live into Pro Tools. Do you happen to know if the Focusrite can be used with Live and Mac system audio simultaneously, in other words shared between apps?
Old 02-25-2021, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
OK this explains why I loose DVS Mac audio piped via Dante into MTRX Studio when I open a PT session that’s at 44.1k? Normally I’m at 48k.

I actually have the Focusrite PCIe Dante card for routing audio from Abelton Live into Pro Tools. Do you happen to know if the Focusrite can be used with Live and Mac system audio simultaneously, in other words shared between apps?
Yes, I do this.

I have all my MTRX inputs sent up to Dante so I have the same IO labelling between Logic/Live/other native apps and Pro Tools Ultimate/HDX.
It works brilliantly.

The only thing it doesn't work 100% for is Zoom- not sure why.
I use another output device for Zoom.

2019 Mac Pro, 2022 Mac Studio Ultra
Avid S6, HDX2, MTRX II, MTRX, DAD AX64, AX32, Focusrite Rednet PCIER, Trinnov MC8 Pro.
Studio: https://www.voltperoctave.com | Music: https://www.euclideancircuits.com
Latest Article: Auto-Bounce for Logic Pro

Affiliate Links:
Auto-Bounce by Tom Salta
Dreamhost Web Hosting
Old 02-25-2021, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptheoctave View Post
Yes, I do this.

I have all my MTRX inputs sent up to Dante so I have the same IO labelling between Logic/Live/other native apps and Pro Tools Ultimate/HDX.
It works brilliantly.

The only thing it doesn't work 100% for is Zoom- not sure why.
I use another output device for Zoom.
Thanks James

Can the Focusrite be used by Logic/Live and Mac system at the same time or is it just one or the other? I don’t want to have to keep switching between the two.
Old 02-25-2021, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
Does that mean that the preamps might also be controllable via pro tools as well, like the MTRX pre's are?
Yep, it sure does .
Old 02-25-2021, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertszydlo View Post
Hi Jan,
Thank you very much indeed for the info. Penta is definitely a beautiful piece of advanced tech and definitely the way to go on the long run! Looks like a perfect way to expand the Mtrx Studio, I am so glad you brought it to my attention! I will probably get it as soon as my budget allows. Until then I need a „temporary solution” that will keep studio running- I can hook the bricasti to mtrx in analog for now, but the problem is with my stereo mastering converters- they use AES to connect. So... will probably have to get the AVIO thingy but you got me REALLY scared with the src. Let me ask a basic question here... say I run a mastering session in 96k in PT ( Mtrx getting 96 clock via digilink) and connect AVIO AES to the second rj45 at the back of mtrx studio unit and hook the stereo Da and DA converters there and clock them as slaves to MTRX ( wordclock?). Will it mean any additional src going on? Or anything that would compromise the quality?
If not I could perform this until I get the Penta unit. Thank you in advance for your time !
Thanks for your kind words about the Penta 721s.

First of all, the Avio adapters, and many of the similar devices with 2 or 4 channels, are powered by PoE (Power over Ethernet) and do not have a separate power supply. PoE basically means that the device receives power through the network connector. The second network port on the MTRX Studio does not provide PoE so it can not power an Avio adapter (or other similar type of adapter). In order for this to work, you must therefore have a network switch which can provide PoE, and install this between the MTRX Studio and the Avio adapter.

Regarding your question about SRC, that is a bit difficult to answer as there are different ways of implementing SRC. In theory it could be OK to do as you suggest, but it is not something I can guarantee. I suggest you contact the Audinate support team and ask them the question. In any case, this solution will not solve the issue with 192 kHz sample rate.

I have also looked at other 2 ch. Dante to AES adapters and have not found any that does not use SRC. Some devices only have SRC on the incoming AES so the outgoing AES is locked to the Dante sample rate, while others have it on both input and output. And it generally seems that you can not disable the SRC on any of them. I am not sure how helpful this is to you, but that's what I know.
Old 02-25-2021, 05:22 AM

Jan,
Thank you!
I will do everything I can to get the Penta asap.
Seems to be the only reasonable option... really
I understand I will be able to simply connect it to the MTRX Studio rear net port2 and I will see the AES in/out and the clock that will appear there will automatically follow digilink ?
Thanks again,
Robert
Old 02-25-2021, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativecontrol View Post
Glad you got it going. Always happy to help.

I'll keep an eye out for additional solutions.
The following would work, but again - only support up to 96kHz:

https://www.rme-audio.de/adi-4-dd.html

https://www.audinate.com/products/devices/dante-avio

best,

Jeff
Jeff,
I am thinking Penta 721s on the long run, but for now I just realised that maybe I am not seeing the most obvious temporary solution: I still have my Omni and maybe it could be used to hook up at least one AES input and 4 AES outputs to the system.... The question is how to connect things properly?
I tried to connect MTRX Studio to HDN PCI primary and omni to HDN PCI ext port. Pro Tools can see both units but the sync goes wild and PT is reporting clocking issues, Not sure how to clock things properly. Experimenting all the sync options, let me know what's your suggestions? Should Digilink be set pri/pri in Dadman in this scenario?...
Old 02-25-2021, 12:25 PM
Avid

Depending on your use case.. If you don't need 64 channels of bidirectional audio connected between MTRX Studio and HDN, simply connect Port 1 of HDN to Port 1 of MTRX Studio, Port 2 of HDN to Primary Port on Omni (disable monitoring). Word Clock out of MTRX Studio -> into Word Clock in on HD Omni.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ