Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2021, 10:45 PM

Default Software automatically shutting down after creating Project Name.

Hi team,

I am brand new to this. Purchased a Focusrite Scarlett Solo, followed all instructions to install Pro-Tools First, have an Ilok account attached etc.

While working through the Focusrite setup tutorials, it tells you to create a new project in Pro Tools First. I have not yet even been able to do that.
The moment I select "Create" from the menu items, and then give the project a name and then click on the ''Create" button, Pro-Tools automatically shuts down. I have tried half a dozen times now, and when I open Pro-Tools back up, I can see the Project Name I created, however when I try to open it, it gives me the message "[Project Name]cannot be opened. The latest version of the project may have been uploaded by a newer version of Pro Tools". Please install any available updates and try again".
Bear in mind I have only just created the project, and not yet had the luxury of recording anything within it. The software literally shut down within 2 seconds of creating a project name.

This issue was happening on the software version that was sent to me in a link (version 2019.6.0). I have now upgraded to Pro Tools 2020.9 hoping that would fix the problem, but having the same problem. I am not yet able to use or enjoy this software. Any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

System Info in attached picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg System settings - for Protools issue.jpg (31.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-31-2021, 03:49 AM

Default Re: Software automatically shutting down after creating Project Name.

Several issues chief of which is your computer. With those specs you'll never get PT running right much less at all. A 1 GHz cpu? Didn't think they made anything that slow in this day and age.

iLok? Cloud or physical iLok? If Cloud you need to be connected to a functioning internet router all the time. If physical iLok make sure it's plugged into a functioning USB port that has had it's power savings measures turned off in Windows Control Panel.

PT First is a joke. If all you want to do is to try and see if PT works for you I'd grab either the 30 day free trial of the full PT or do a monthly subscription. With PT First you can't use third party plugins that are not purchased through the Avid store.

But again - if those specs are right I'd take that computer to a recycling station and buy a more powerful modern machine.

QAPLA!
Old 01-31-2021, 04:08 AM

Went to edit my post for added details but I got the old 'you don't have permission to post' deal. Anyways here's what I wrote:

I thought those specs were wrong but went looking and found that at cnet.com here: https://www.cnet.com/products/dell-i...b-ssd-english/ they are right. Didn't think anyone made a desktop/laptop that skimpy cpu wise. Most search engine entries put this machine in the 3.x GHz range for cpu.

QAPLA!
Old 01-31-2021, 07:59 AM

Wow, that is an under-powered computer! Beyond that, try creating a "session" instead of a "project". Sessions reside on your computer, while projects are in the cloud(a bad enough idea with a great computer and a perfect internet connection). I also recommend NOT using the cloud version of iLok. Get a physical iLok(2 or 3) so you are not at the mercy of your internet connection.

You might also try Cakewalk by Bandcamp(this used to be called Sonar and is free) and Reaper(free to try and cheap to buy). Both of these programs are very capable. Both will work fine with the Scarlet and both are less finicky about the computer specs

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-31-2021, 02:11 PM

Thanks albee1952 for the solution-focused response. Much appreciated. I might try one of those alternatives. I don't need anything fancy pants for what I am doing. Only went with ProTools First because it was recommended by the makers of Focusrite Scarlett.

My laptop is 6 months old, and is perfectly fine for everything else I use it for (albeit I have never done sound recording on it before, and didn't purchase the laptop with that use in mind either).
Old 01-31-2021, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabwil View Post
Thanks albee1952 for the solution-focused response. Much appreciated. I might try one of those alternatives. I don't need anything fancy pants for what I am doing. Only went with ProTools First because it was recommended by the makers of Focusrite Scarlett.

My laptop is 6 months old, and is perfectly fine for everything else I use it for (albeit I have never done sound recording on it before, and didn't purchase the laptop with that use in mind either).
Your computer may be 6 months old but will never work for any kind of audio recording. Period. It's sad the Dell would put out such an underpowered machine. I have an old Dell laptop running Windows 3.1 and that has more horsepower than your machine. Sorry if I come across as mean spirited but only want you to have the best experience possible no matter what you want to do. That computer will only frustrate you in the long run. Keep it as an email machine and get something with more guts.

QAPLA!
Old 02-01-2021, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Your computer may be 6 months old but will never work for any kind of audio recording. Period. It's sad the Dell would put out such an underpowered machine. I have an old Dell laptop running Windows 3.1 and that has more horsepower than your machine. Sorry if I come across as mean spirited but only want you to have the best experience possible no matter what you want to do. That computer will only frustrate you in the long run. Keep it as an email machine and get something with more guts.
All good, thanks for your input. The Dell specs, and the invoice, lists it as up to 3.6GHz. However the specs from the laptop itself (which is the screen dump I provided), lists 1.00 GHz. From what I understand (and I am no expert, so correct me if I am wrong), it dials up and downs down depending on the tasks you are performing at the time. Or are you suggesting that even 3.6 GHz is not adequate?

According to the focusrite site (and correct as at Nov 2020), Pro Tools First supports "Windows 10 (build 1909) with an Intel® i5 processor or greater" - I believe I am within those specs?

Also, I am not precious about using Pro Tools First, or free software, I literally went down this path because it was recommended on the Focusrite site. I'm just really going through the motions of finding the right solution.
Old 02-01-2021, 04:38 AM

Quote:
All good, thanks for your input. The Dell specs, and the invoice, lists it as up to 3.6GHz. However the specs from the laptop itself (which is the screen dump I provided), lists 1.00 GHz. From what I understand (and I am no expert, so correct me if I am wrong), it dials up and downs down depending on the tasks you are performing at the time. Or are you suggesting that even 3.6 GHz is not adequate?

According to the focusrite site (and correct as at Nov 2020), Pro Tools First supports "Windows 10 (build 1909) with an Intel® i5 processor or greater" - I believe I am within those specs?

Also, I am not precious about using Pro Tools First, or free software, I literally went down this path because it was recommended on the Focusrite site. I'm just really going through the motions of finding the right solution.
If the computer ramps up and down in speed according to load that is NOT a good thing, especially if it's lower speed is 1 GHz. This page https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...m-Requirements has most of the hardware requirements for PT but doesn't list a minimum speed. A 1GHz cpu speed won't cut it. I wouldn't try PT with anything less than a 2.5 GHz minimum speed. Finding the right specs for your computer isn't easy and the page I linked to shows the specs as you listed them.

QAPLA!
Old 02-01-2021, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
If the computer ramps up and down in speed according to load that is NOT a good thing, especially if it's lower speed is 1 GHz. This page https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...m-Requirements has most of the hardware requirements for PT but doesn't list a minimum speed. A 1GHz cpu speed won't cut it. I wouldn't try PT with anything less than a 2.5 GHz minimum speed. Finding the right specs for your computer isn't easy and the page I linked to shows the specs as you listed them.

Thanks - it's actually a power saving feature, but apparently StepSpeed can be disabled in BIOS so that the CPU runs at max frequency.
Old 02-01-2021, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Thanks - it's actually a power saving feature, but apparently StepSpeed can be disabled in BIOS so that the CPU runs at max frequency.
Good that you figured it out. Power savings features of any kind are a big no-no when recording. Make sure you also disable power savings measures for the USB ports so anything connected to them (like an iLok) powers off unexpectedly. Also don't let your computer or drives sleep either.

QAPLA!