Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2010, 05:56 PM

Default new to using pro tools, mbox 2= problems!!

Hi...new to this forum! I'm posting this for my boyfriend who is currently upset about his Pro Tools not working...

I have a 2 year old (as of April 10) iMac desktop...it's got 1GB of RAM...I'm not quite sure on the specifications, but I absolutely know that my computer is up to par to run the systems he bought.

He recently bought a package bundle at Guitar Center of Pro Tools LE 8, M Box 2, two speakers, a mic and a mic stand. He mainly bought it for the Pro Tools and M Box, but we're having a lot of problems.
He also bought the Axiom 25 keyboard by M-Audio, which came with Ableton Live Lite 6 (I think, sorry if it's wrong, I'm not quite sure what everything is!) and the software for the keyboard. He also got a cable MIDI output input thing...basically it cotnnects the keyboard to the M Box.

So..the first problem that I'm aware and is off the top of my head is when he got the keyboard, they didn't give much information on how to set it up. He put in the software disc for the keyboard into my computer, which keep in mind runs OS X, and it spit it back out, same with the Live Lite 6 disc. We tried his brothers older Lenovo (which was running windows), and it spit it back out too. We then looked at the guides and it said that you could simply plug it in and it would work, IF you were using OS X.

Now for Pro Tools...it installed successfully. He's launched it successfully a couple of times, and made a song. Today he tried to launch it, and this Digidesign thing popped up with all these funky words and said "respond to the challenge" to authorize it on my computer. What does that mean?? Did he not download all the plug ins needed or things needed to make it work? We also registered it if that helps any.

He also couldn't get his keyboard to connect to the M Box. He had the cable connecting them, both were turned on and connected. We opened up the MIDI input output thing and like the guide said, you "connect" the correct arrows, we tried and nothing happened, and he still can't figure out how to use keyboard.

Sorry this post is long and blabbering on, I just want him to use his equipment! Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you so much!!!
Old 05-07-2010, 06:06 PM

Default Re: new to using pro tools, mbox 2= problems!!

this is sweet

So I guess we can WELCOME BOTH of u to the DUC|AAF(whateva the heck it is now)

As for ur computer being "up to par",
that is not a fact I'm sorry to say... It will work "for a while or so"...

As for the popups, u must be specific as we can't guess what it is;
it more likely is plugs that were installed that are only demo's meaning those demo's hav exceeded the start time but again, we hav no real idea because u gave us no inforeally...

As for the keyboard,
u plug that to the computer VIA USB, & thatz pretty much it; I don't get what u mean by connecting it up to the Mbox

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 05-07-2010, 06:14 PM

I'm on another computer, but I'll post what's happening when I go on my computer...

Sorry for not being specific...: /
I tried asking him what exactly was wrong, but he doesn't even know!
Old 05-07-2010, 06:20 PM

Since ur on'eim for ur BF, look up^^^ & u will see a couple of must read links...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 05-07-2010, 07:41 PM

Here's a couple of suggestions:

Your Imac should be fine. Mine is a little older than yours and works great. Since it's a couple of years old make sure you're on the operating system (OS) Leopard (10.5.8) or Snow Leopard (10.6.3), not Tiger (10.4.11) because Protools 8 software is not compatible with Tiger or anything older.

You have 1 gb of ram. This is what came with the computer and it's not enough to really run hardly anything, and not even the recommended minimum for Protools. Your Imac will take up to 4 gb and I strongly recommend you install that and max it out. You can get great, compatible ram here:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other.../6400DDR2S4MP/

As for the Axiom keyboard, don't worry about the basic installation software, in fact you can delete it. The mac won't even need it. The other software (Enigma) is optional but you're better off downloading the latest version.

Don't mess with trying to use the axiom via midi through the mbox. It's much easier to hook it up via usb to the Imac. Go into Applications>Utilities>Audiomidi Setup> and hit "rescan midi". It will recognize you have an axiom and you'll be good to go. Now you can use the axiom with Protools, Garageband, Virtual instruments or any other application on your computer.

As for the challenge/response thing, let us know if this is saying this for individual plugins. If that's the case, then you probably accidently installed protools plugins that are bought separately and don't come with it (easy to do, because they're on the basic install discs for convenience). You can delete those particular plugins by going into Libary>Application Support>Digidesign>Plug Ins, and then drag those certain plugins to the trash.

Also, one more thing, the basic Protools installer disc may not be the latest version, so make sure you download the latest update (There's other threads on how to do this).