Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 11-25-2003, 08:32 PM

Default Remote controll ProTools- via network - it works

Here’s a little thing is just discovered for remote recording, it made my life a bit easier, and recording fun again.

REMOTE CONTROLLED PROTOOLS OVER A NETWORK, it works faultlessly. I ran this for 8hrs, no crashes, dropouts nuttin.

I have a small home studio (set up in a spare bedroom) and I had a problem. I wanted to record my band, with me playing, live……..ok nothing new here….we play in the lounge/dining rooms at the other side of the house, about 15 meters away from the record button. Ok nothing new here either.

The normal solutions I didn’t want to use;
Me in the control room, everyone else wherever.
Hit record, then run……….
Buy long cables 4 my motor mix
Buy long cables 4 key/mouse/monitor.

What did I do…..VNC. http://www.realvnc.com/

this is vnc's blurb, from theie web site

“VNC stands for Virtual Network Computing. It is remote control software which allows you to view and interact with one computer (the "server") using a simple program (the "viewer") on another computer anywhere on the Internet. The two computers don't even have to be the same type, so for example you can use VNC to view an office Linux machine on your Windows PC at home. VNC is freely and publicly available and is in widespread active use by millions throughout industry, academia and privately.”

I use protocols le 6.1.1 on a pc (P4 2.8 1gig ram, 10/100/1000 nic), I linked this pc with my laptop (pIII 900 128 meg ram, 10/100 nic) via a 15m x-over cable (actually 2 normal and 1 x-over with joiners). I ran vnc server on the protools box, vnc viewer on the laptop, then REMOTE CONTROLLED PROTOOLS OVER THE NETWORK. All worked faultlessly until I turned it all off, never a crash.

I was able to go into the control room to make changes, or make changes on the laptop, all changes made on either was mirrored on the other.

Why is this good, well to record roughs live I now run audio, click AND DATA to the lounge, look at the other humans. (what a change, I almost thought my writing partner was a pc screen)

I can record with full PT functions, without being in the control room, I can change anything remotely.

Does it FEEL like im using the gun pc, no, the screen refresh isn’t really good, it feels like an old version of doom (huh what shot me). BUT I turned infinite hold on the meters so I can see if anything goes into the red, I recorded at a safe level, so nothing did distort.

These are LIVE roughs, but the best I have done so far as I was with the other people(Vibe).

Using the 10/100 nic means there is bugger all headroom (processing power) taken from the pt pc. The laptop was only drawing the screen bits so it had no problems at all.
I hope this helps someone else, it made my life easy.

email if you want more info

Damien
[email protected]
Old 11-25-2003, 09:33 PM

Default Re: Remote controll ProTools- via network - it works

I personally like TightVNC.....has nice compression and optimization options for low bandwidth links.

www.tightvnc.com

Old 11-25-2003, 10:17 PM

I use tightvnc to control my fileserver. Works pretty well...

Bastiaan
Old 11-25-2003, 10:26 PM

Nice!, Ive used AT&T's VNC (now RealVNC) for ages to tech remotely, nice tool, fyi: XP Pro has built in remote desktop if you want to try that also, only prob with doing this is the CPU usage and the netcard will be working at full speed using up precious CPU, I'm surprized you made it so long with no PTLE glitches