Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 11-07-2011, 12:16 PM

Default Re: anyone using Protools on an SSD?

Dear ,

Which machine are you using ? No need to worry !!! It seems to be a PT issue .
It is realllly slow loading from a SSD Drive .All other apps load lightning fast except Pro Tools . It is a PT specific issue .
Old 11-07-2011, 02:08 PM

thanks for your help Bashville. Yah i turned off Spotlight when i first installed PT 10. Never much liked it anyway. The Spotless Utility is not yet adapted to work with Lion.

KSSSD, are you experiencing the same issue, or just offering me some emotional support? I do agree with you, but so it goes.

I just worked in PT 10 for the entire morning. Fortunately on just one session. I remain amazed at how fast PT 10 is for certain processes, such as the rendering of many regions into one contiguous region. It now happens instantaneously. And when I edit a region on the fly during playback, it still plays correctly after only about 2 seconds of lag, whereas it used to need 10 full seconds to catch up to my editing changes.

As I say, the problem I have is 100% about loading a session. Everything else is great.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:31 AM

OK guys, I fixed it. The fix can be found here.

Many thanks for Mr Darcy, writing on a related thread, who found the fix. It's all about a setting in the Sharing preference, specifically, what name is listed in the "computer name" box. . In my case, I even had settings that LOOKED correct, but i decided to redo it anyway.

Here's what i mean. At first look, the names of my computer and my account looked the same. But there was also a second name that I had listed for the shared folder. So I deleted that since AI never use it anyway.

Then, loading PT 10, It still didn't work. Took over 2 minutes to load a file.

So I went back into the Sharing preference. This time I copied the computer name, as given in the box for computer name, then pasted it back into the same space. Then I restarted the computer.

Opened Protools. A session took all of 2 seconds to load. Just as the Mac folks had told me it would be, using this SSD.

Makes me realize two things. First, Protools makes unique use of the operating system. AND doing that, it doesn't always catch nonstandard (but still "legal") ways of setting up your computer. In this instance, i think I've read about at least 10 other users with the same problem. So when does a nonstandard setup, become standard?

And, second, why doesn't tech support offer better tech support? especially with 10 users all reporting the exact same glitch. AND...the glitch has very specific symptoms.

Worse still, the solution to this problem was actually reported here in DUC in June 2011. On that specific thread there were 3 or 4 people discussing the mutual problem. And it certainly was not an insignificant problem and solution. It was the same problem i reported in my phone call with tech support last week. And going in two different threads here. The guy at tech support kept telling me i needed to try again his long list of troubleshooting tips, even though I'd already done them.

I suppose you can accuse me of not doing a thorough job of researching past threads on DUC. But the thread with the solution was called:

Re: Pro Tools 9 Installed successfully - but Airport needs to be off?

In other words, the guy who started the thread had a different problem, and the thread name did not reflect my own problem at all.

Anyway, enough about this. The thread that now posts the correct solution is named:

Re: PT 10 takes long time to open

That clear name should keep some other miserable sap from enduring the same slow load as me without wasting hours of troubleshooting.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:16 PM

Oreo1,
I'm about to buy a macbook pro with SSD memory.

I just read your whole thread and mainly i'm writing to sympathize! And hope that I don't experience any problems like you have had.

I'm glad you managed to solve the problem eventually. I'll be coming back here to go through the steps out should i fall into the same abyss.

thanks for posting the solution, and poor show to PT on the support front.

vito
Old 06-12-2013, 08:03 PM

You will love it!

Sent from my PT beating heart
I am the main songwriter/performer for Midwest Whitetail, Cabela's Deer Nation, Spring Thunder, and Northern Waters Series!
Old 06-13-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jryser View Post
You will love it!

Sent from my PT beating heart
Second that!

SSD on the system drive and Samsung 840 Pro 512 GB SSD on the session drive and it works beautiful

—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 10-31-2013, 03:40 PM

Hey,

I'm getting a new MBP in December. They only offer SSD drives now, which is fine by me, but my question is if I absolutely need an extennal drive to track to? And if so anyone have suggestions of a thunderbolt drive that would work?

Thanks
Old 10-31-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyderian View Post
Hey,

I'm getting a new MBP in December. They only offer SSD drives now, which is fine by me, but my question is if I absolutely need an extennal drive to track to? And if so anyone have suggestions of a thunderbolt drive that would work?

Thanks
Yes you still need external for sessions. You can use USB 3.0 I think... Anyone know if it's approved by avid for Mac? Wd caviar black 7200 rpm in a chassis with Oxford chipset works...
Old 10-31-2013, 04:40 PM

Preferably it would be a Lacie drive. I have a situation that allows me a crazy deal on their products but don't know which ones are solid.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyderian View Post
Preferably it would be a Lacie drive. I have a situation that allows me a crazy deal on their products but don't know which ones are solid.
Just make sure it's 7200rpm and not a green drive