Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 07-02-2011, 11:11 AM

Default Xeon quad core HP with PT9, some advice please

Hi there

I received some very useful help from you guys regarding my wanting to buy motherboard, processor, etc, to build a computer for my PT9. After all the info from everyone, it does seem that approx £500-600 would be needed to have a pretty darn good new computer.

There is another angle and I would appreciate some feedback from you guys again. I came across this Hewlett Packard system, already setup (so no cross-compatability issues to iron out before getting back to work), and is almost half the price, but is a high spec machine.

The issue I have is that the guys at Avid have told me that this computer has not been tested so they cannot guarantee, but most of the modern, high spec machines should work. Can anyone verify that the HP I am taking about will work? I've put a link below.

I did get an email back from William Lamonica at Avid stating that RAID is not supported by Pro-Tools, hence why my old system did not work with my PT9.

I suppose my real question to everyone is wether they know, if I turn the RAID off his new HP system I've put a link to below, it won't pose a problem for running PT9. It is a Xeon Quad Core processor, and i will be running only a single 1TB ATA drive within the tower, using my external drives for all other storage so the RAID should not be a problem.

I've put the email below from William, as well as the link to the computer I am considering from HP.

I appreciate all the feedback and help as I'm one week away from purchasing,

Kindest regards, K

Hewlett Packard Proliant ML110 Xeon processor

Please also be aware of those known issues:

•Pro Tools does not support RAID technology. Please do not activate this feature on any Pro Tools recording drives.
•Computers with motherboards containing SiS (Silicon Integrated Systems) chipsets are not supported
•Computers with Intel Pentium III and older Intel processors are not supported
•Computers with AMD Turion, AMD Sempron, or Intel Celeron processors are not supported
•FireWire 800 drives are not supported for record and playback with Mbox 2 Pro systems
•USB drives are not recommended or supported for recording
•ATI Radeon Xpress 200 Series chipsets are not recommended for use with either AMD or Intel processors
•Pro Tools 8 uses certain SSE instructions for drawing and other performance critical code. We have found that some older models of AMD chips from the Athlon 64 X2 (Athlon X2, AMD K9) family do not support specific SSE instructions used by Pro Tools, even though they claim to be SSE compliant. On these AMD computers, Pro Tools 8 will not launch. Unfortunately, this issue is not something we think can be fixed on our end, given the amount of custom recoding and testing that would be required. Current AMD chips and those manufactured in the last few years do support these SSE instructions.

Best regards

William
Old 07-02-2011, 11:31 AM

Default Re: Xeon quad core HP with PT9, some advice please

The best I can say is.....MAYBE. The potential deal breaker is the chipset on the motherboard. If(big IF) its an intel chipset, then the odds get a bit better. Is there any way you can get a detailed parts list or a Sandra report on the system? That would tell the tale best. As for drive, I highly recommend(since this is a tower system) that you simply add 1 or 2 internal SATA drives(7200 rpm and 32 or 64MB Cache) as they will outperform any firewire drive setup. Use one of them as a recording drive and the 3rd drive for sample libraries and copies(backups) of session files(which I would also backup to an external drive. Back to compatibility, you also need to know what slots are available so you can be sure you can install the HD card(s) that you have(or are buying). PCI and PCIe are not cross-compatible.

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-02-2011, 03:23 PM

One thing to consider also is fan noise. My experience with any box configured as an off the shelf server is that they are loud. Not much consideration is given to noise levels as they are either in a closet somewhere or not used in noise sensitive environments.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:20 AM

Thanks for the feedback so far.

The chipset is an Intel® Xeon® X3430 (4 core, 2.40 GHz, 8MB L3, 95W). Admittedly it is not a 2.6-2.8 GHz which is what I was aiming for, but for the money the speed is very good and as a PT dedicated machione is good for now.

The problem is that this HP I've put a link to has a RAID storage controller and PT9 does not work with RAID, but RAID can be turned OFF, so I'm unsure wether this means it can be used? This is my biggest question I suppose.

I wouldn't use firewire external for the drive, definitely an internal 1-2 TB. The raid I understand won't work as PT works with super-fast transfer rates and huge data transfers, RAID means the data is divided which would prevent real-time recording.

Any other help anyone might be able to provide before I decide to buy something? I'm busting at the seams to get started.....

The computers spec is below if it helps for any further feedback. I get the feeling that to make a hybrid computer using a GIGA, i7 processor may be better.

Processor
Intel® Xeon® X3430 (4 core, 2.40 GHz, 8MB L3, 95W)

Number of processors

Processor core available

Standard memory
1 GB

Memory slots
4 DIMM slots

Maximum memory
16 GB

Memory type
PC3-10600E-9

Expansion slots

Network controller
(1) 1GbE NC107i 1 Port

Power supply type
(1) 300 Watt

Storage controller
(1) Smart Array B110i SATA RAID
Old 07-04-2011, 11:02 AM

They are actually asking about the "chipset" that controls the communication between the CPU and rest of the pc. Not the cpu itself.
2009 Mac Pro - Dual X5650 Xeon 6-core 2.66Ghz procs, 48GB of Ram, SATA 3 and USB 3.0 PCIe cards. R9 280X video card. macOS Sierra. Harrison Mixbus 32C, Studio One 3, Reaper, and pro tools 12 when I have to.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:38 AM

yes, I realised afterwads that it wasn't the CPU they were asking for. I'll have to get back to you guys about this, I'll find out now....
Old 07-07-2011, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CME View Post
They are actually asking about the "chipset" that controls the communication between the CPU and rest of the pc. Not the cpu itself.
This is the computer, the chipset is given in the page information, an Intel 3430, is this enough info?

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en...5-4063948.html