Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 05-08-2009, 05:02 AM

Default Watching Pro Tools Tutorials

I am new to Pro Tools and want to open a PT8 Session and watch a tutorial on DVD at the same time. When I do this I cannot hear the audio on the DVD. Is there a way around this so I can watch/listen to the DVD and have PT8 available to practice with at the same time?
thanks
Old 05-08-2009, 06:56 AM

Default Re: Watching Pro Tools Tutorials

You need to change your output settings within your operating system to what it was originally. When the Mbox is plugged in, it changes the output to that. Pro Tools will then still work and the DVD will play on whatever output you had it at originally.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:30 PM

I had already tried to change the settings in System Preferences > Sound > and changed my output to internal speakers on my MacBook Pro, but no audio while the DVD Player playing the tutorial. The 003 Rack seems to be interfering, but I do not know why.
What next?
Old 05-08-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaiel View Post
I had already tried to change the settings in System Preferences > Sound > and changed my output to internal speakers on my MacBook Pro, but no audio while the DVD Player playing the tutorial. The 003 Rack seems to be interfering, but I do not know why.
What next?
Download handbrake and rip the DVD to quicktime files? Then you can import the quicktime files into Protools and watch them within protools while you follow along/play around with whatever subject they are talking about?
Old 05-08-2009, 07:58 PM

thanks for the suggestion. I will do a search for handbrake. I was hoping an admin would drop in and give an explanation for this.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:31 PM

You have a 003 that is your answer. The 003 has a single client driver so you can get audio on PT or audio on other app's, but not both at the same time.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:40 AM

I'm not sure why your MBP's internal speakers would not allow you to monitor the DVD ..

What I would try to do is send DVD player's output to the line out connector, then use the appropriate cable to go from the line out, to the 003's Aux inputs. You should then be able to monitor DVD player's output at the same time as ProTools..
Old 05-09-2009, 06:40 AM

Docbop is right. As long as the Digi CoreAudio Manager app is open it will not allow audio to pass thru anything but the 003 which is stupid. I have used other DAW's in the past and never had this problem. Digidesign should fix this. I think sometimes they go to far to control their hardware/software.
thanks again for everyone's input.
It would be nice if one of the admin's would at least chime in and acknowledge this thread with their explanation and maybe let the rest of us know if Digi is going to do something about this or not.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:47 AM

The 003 does not use the core audio driver while using ProTools and that is the problem. It uses DAE which does not accept any other system audio. When ProTools is not running, the 003 uses the core audio driver to play system sounds.

On my system, my Mac can playback any program's audio output through it's line out while at the same time playing ProTools audio through the 002. Yours should be able to do the same thing. That's why I suggested that you could connect the Mac's line out to the Aux inputs on the 003... That is what the Aux inputs are for... To accept audio from some other source (CD player, Mac output, whatever) and monitor them through the 003's monitor outs..'

And Digi will not "fix" this problem because it is part of what limits the ins and out to 18ch and part of the "hardware dongle" copy protection scheme... If they used core audio for ProTools, then things would open up quite a bit, and I don't think they are willing to do so..
Old 05-10-2009, 07:43 AM

flommer you are right. 3 count them 3 bad 1/8" to 1/4" cables later and i have audio at the aux input now. i am going to eat some humble pie now...