Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2002, 05:33 PM

Default The boundaries are getting blurry

VST systems are crap... right?.... look whats happening with powercore from TC....
http://www.tcworks.de/home/content/e...ome/render_top

Sony Oxford for VST hosts.... things are shifting....
Old 01-26-2002, 06:21 PM

Default Re: The boundaries are getting blurry

They are still native systems.... things aren't shifting. I can tell you, TDM systems are more popular than ever, at least for the pro studio (not saying you aren't because I don't know). VST is a great application, but all SystemLink is doing is allowing you to hook up more computers for more plugins... big deal... it's still native. There will still be latency... and getting around the system will still take many clicks of a mouse, not to mention the time it takes to properly configure each computer and keep them running... pain in the butt.
Old 01-26-2002, 07:25 PM

It'll be interesting to see the price point for the native version of the Sony Oxford plug-in. If it's in the neighborhood of what the TDM version costs, native users will choke.

It's also going to be interesting to see how the new, upcoming Waves FIR EQ compares with the Oxford plug-in. Don't you just love it when the software manufacturers play leap-frog? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Lee Blaske
Old 01-27-2002, 03:32 AM

I wasn't referring to SystemLink... I was interested that a few TDM plugin developers were doing dev work on another platform... the Powercore uses the same DSPs as the Mix... Access Virus running from a DSP as a VST instrument would be fantastic... and the Oxford EQ of a DSP as a VST plugin would be great....

As for NATIVE vs. DSP based systems... I'll reiterate... the boundaries are getting blurry... DSP cards for VST plugins.... HTDM and RTAS for ProTools.... now which of those systems was native again...??

ProTools need better MIDI.....