Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces

Old 07-21-2013, 08:44 PM

Default Saffire Pro 40 + Monitor issue

I'm getting a lot of distortion from my monitors (digital distortion I believe?) when I play back anything out of Pro Tools or even iTunes, it seems to be present anytime the kick drum or more heavier low frequencies are being punched through, everything else sounds fine. I've been listening to an already recorded & produced album, so it's not because I've just turned up the kick drum to high in one of my mixes or something.

Do I need a subwoofer to host the more low end frequencies? or is it potentially an interface driver issue?

Not sure which is the source of the problem, I have the Saffire pro 40 interface and Event PS8 bi-amplified monitors. I'd appreciate the help!

Thanks.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:54 PM

Default Re: Saffire Pro 40 + Monitor issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvrphy View Post
I'm getting a lot of distortion from my monitors (digital distortion I believe?) when I play back anything out of Pro Tools or even iTunes, it seems to be present anytime the kick drum or more heavier low frequencies are being punched through, everything else sounds fine. I've been listening to an already recorded & produced album, so it's not because I've just turned up the kick drum to high in one of my mixes or something.
Does it happen over headphones as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvrphy View Post
Do I need a subwoofer to host the more low end frequencies? or is it potentially an interface driver issue?
Not necessarily - and if you do, you'll need a crossover system of some kind. Would be best to use a good stereo pair of monitors that can handle the bass, but if the low end on your speakers is distorting, adding a sub could help.

Chris

Chris
Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P / i7 6700K 4.1 GHz / 32GB Crucial DDR4
macOS High Sierra Version 10.13.6
Pro Tools HD 2019.6
Old 07-31-2013, 11:32 AM
Focusrite

Default Re: Saffire Pro 40 + Monitor issue

I would recommend checking that your DAW 1 and DAW 2 inputs to the Mix 1 are not turned up in Saffire MixControl.

The best way to ensure your Saffire MixControl is not the source of a problem is to set it back to File > Restore Factory Defaults.

If you have any specialized routing I recommend saving this as a snapshot first so you can recall it.

If you are still having trouble please feel free to contact us directly via our Customer Support Page.

Best regards

http://www.focusrite.com/answerbase/en/