Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2015, 12:23 AM

Default Avid S3 or Slate Raven MTX

Hey guys,

i've a question: I am building a new composing/tracking (no drms)/mixing studio and I want to replace or do an add-on to my existing HDX2 with C24 rig. My question is: should I replace the C24 with the S3 with the iPad thingy option or should I keep the C24 and add a Raven MTX?

Any thoughts?

Cheers. Tomaz
Old 11-21-2015, 01:24 AM

Default Re: Avid S3 or Slate Raven MTX

I wouldn't switch from C24 to S3 if you are used to the following things:

- quick access to VCA faders
- quick plugins editing (selecting a plugin on computer's screen and automatic "spilling" its parameters on knobs or faders)
- custom mapping plugin parameters
- ctrl+shift+click to bank to desired track (S3 offers automatic banking, which very often is confusing)
- mix and edit windows follow banking on C24
- stability (I have yet to experience trouble free EUCON PT rig)

On top of that S3's SEL button is completely useless, because pressing it without touching two adjacent faders is almost impossible. If you work a lot with touch / latch automation modes you will hate it.
Mac Mini i7 2018,
Reaper DAW,
Presonus Faderport,
Arturia Beastep for DAW control,
Former Pro Tools HD user (from V7 until V12.6).
Old 11-21-2015, 09:22 AM

I would keep the C24 but require an in-studio demo of the Raven MTX before buying one.

This is because Moore's Law is coming on like gangbusters in the area of touch screens. I can't imagine Avid isn't working on native touch screen support for Pro Tools since they've already shown it with Sibelius. Better touch screen performance is one of the very few "insanely great" new features available for the consumer technology industry to offrer.
Old 11-21-2015, 12:07 PM

in my 5 min demo of a Raven, my finger tips were hurting from friction burn
and were every other touch screen device you do the pinch/push to zoom in/out doesn't work on the Raven, so counter productive to using a touch screen

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 11-21-2015, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion777 View Post
Hey guys,

i've a question: I am building a new composing/tracking (no drms)/mixing studio and I want to replace or do an add-on to my existing HDX2 with C24 rig. My question is: should I replace the C24 with the S3 with the iPad thingy option or should I keep the C24 and add a Raven MTX?

Any thoughts?

Cheers. Tomaz
Raven multitouch faders will not work with an Avid or 3d party controller without a couple issues. So I can't recommend using both. But if you use Raven as just a touch screen that won't be a problem. Since Raven connects VIA HUI any other controller that uses HUI will cause issues with Meters/banking ETC..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
in my 5 min demo of a Raven, my finger tips were hurting from friction burn
and were every other touch screen device you do the pinch/push to zoom in/out doesn't work on the Raven, so counter productive to using a touch screen

If you press the "option" modifier Raven Can pinch zoom.. So sounds like you didn't get a great demo with someone who knew the software.

The Raven Nano-Glide spray makes the glass so smooth that it shouldn't burn at all..

I am going on 2 years with Dual Ravens and my fingers don't hurt, my arms don't hurt, my eyes don't hurt..

But when I had a mouse and PT, my wrist and fingers would get sore from the mouse and my neck and eyes would burn out from looking up at a screen for 12 hours a day.
Old 11-21-2015, 02:54 PM

the MTI-2 is so cheap, I may just get one and replace my current screen. I'm waiting for them to be in stock so I can grab one and demo.
Old 11-21-2015, 03:26 PM

Devil Technologies D-touch is another option, if you want a touchscreen interface with a macro command section. It can potentially be much cheaper than the Slate option, especially if you want to use a smaller screen with it.

If it were me, I could hold on to the C24 and never let go. Until it's no longer supported, that is. It could be a great setup to use the C24 with one or two non-touch main screens for edit/mix windows, an additional screen with D-Touch, and combining that touchscreen with Skootch's ability to auto-arrange plug-in windows on a dedicated screen i.e. full touchscreen control for all plug-ins, C24 for "traditional" mixing duties.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
in my 5 min demo of a Raven, my finger tips were hurting from friction burn and where every other touch screen device you do the pinch/push to zoom in/out doesn't work on the Raven, so counter productive to using a touch screen
Did you demo the MTX or the newer smaller MTi2? There's some kind of magic sauce that's supposed to be used to 'renew' the screen surface at least for the newer unit. Oh yeah - there's software issues/bugs with the MTi2 unit. Fellow over on the Motunation forum has one and is having problems with the s/w.

QAPLA!
Old 11-22-2015, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Did you demo the MTX or the newer smaller MTi2? There's some kind of magic sauce that's supposed to be used to 'renew' the screen surface at least for the newer unit. Oh yeah - there's software issues/bugs with the MTi2 unit. Fellow over on the Motunation forum has one and is having problems with the s/w.

This is interesting I've ordered a MTi2 and I'm waiting for it to turn up. I really hope it doesn't have issues !!

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 11-23-2015, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul23 View Post
This is interesting I've ordered a MTi2 and I'm waiting for it to turn up. I really hope it doesn't have issues !!
You will not be sorry, that is for sure.. I still feel like $2500 was a good deal when I bought my Raven in Dec 2013.

So for 1k its the best controller for the money by far.

People over at Motuforum are happy now BTW...

http://www.motunation.com/forum/view...art=15#p517982