Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2009, 09:42 AM

Default Spinning wheel in PT8 with screen redraws

Has anyone else experienced slow screen redraws in PT8 LE on the Mac.
Horizontal zooming and show/hide tracks (amongst other actions) brings up the Mac spinning wheel and takes ages if there are even a few tracks with a few regions.
My previous LE setup, 7.4, dealt with more complex edits/mixes really quickly and fluently.
Playing tracks is fine - no appreciable delay before play; its just the screen redraws that take ages.
Any ideas?
Old 03-16-2009, 11:06 AM
Avid

Default Re: Spinning wheel in PT8 with screen redraws

Many possible solutions for this. Have you tried trashing prefs yet?

Did you do a clean install of the OS and Pro Tools or did you upgrade over previous versions? If you upgraded - you likely will need to go back and do clean installs of both, as upgrading over old versions has been known to cause problems like this.

Can you give us your system specs?
Old 03-16-2009, 12:07 PM

Thanks for your advice. I have trashed preferences and repaired permissions but to no avail. I did not do a clean install of PT8. version 7.4 was already there. I will uninstall and do a clean install.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:29 PM

i have done a clean uninstll then a reinstall of PT but no improvement. obviously i am reluctant to do a clean install of the OS as this will wipe everything on my mac and all my network settings etc, etc.

what do you suggest?
Old 03-16-2009, 01:46 PM

i have an iMac 2GHz Intel core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
OSX 10.5.6
original MBOX
Old 03-17-2009, 02:46 AM

the imac came with OSX 10.5 pre-installed so a clean install of the OS is presumably unnecccesary.

I have reinstalled pT on a different admin account on the imac but still really slow screen redraws. about 8 seconds to show one more track from the track list.

any help anyone?
Old 03-17-2009, 10:08 AM
Avid

When you updated to 10.5.5, did you use the software update panel or did you download the combo update from the Apple website? If you used the software update panel, you should try the combo update as there have been issues we've seen using the software update panel (this because it uses a 'delta' installer - looking for and replacing/adding the necessary software to update, while the combo updater installs everything.).

Also keep in mind that you can do a clean install of the OS and then transfer your user data from another system or another partition or drive on the computer.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:02 AM

i updated straight from 10.5.4 to 10.5.6 using software update and them saw the digidesign advice about the combo updater and did this 2 days ago kind of on top of the previous update.