Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 08-27-2010, 05:51 AM

Angry Avid-what's going on with M-audio drivers support?

As the title says.....

It would seem that driver support for M-Audio products such as the Fast track Ultra and Profire range has stopped dead.The last release for the FTU for instance is almost a year ago,despite acknowledged "issues" from M-audio support staff that are apparently being "worked on."

Now it's got to the stage where even the "ongoing driver development" forum notifications have stopped..as if the support staff have simply given up on the products,washed their hands of it all and gone home!

There are some angry people on that M-Audio forum-and rightly so in my opinion.The FTU in particular has been problematic for many people from day one-from simple "loss of control panel" issues to the unit losing contact with the usb buss...and this total absence of driver updates and support for acknowledged problems is quite frankly,ludicrous.

Contrast the driver/update support for this range of products with that of RME for instance,and you get the point I'm making.

As someone who used to sell M-Audio products back in the day,I would say that they consistantly outsold everyone else by a ratio of 5 to 1...mainly becasue they were acknowledged as having great value for money and soild,relaible drivers and support.

I'm sorry to say that I feel that since Avid took over the company,this is no longer the case.

Many people,myself included-have invested in M-Audio/M powered systems and have stuck with the situation in the hope of a resoultion of the driver issues.....there are a lot of people on the M-Audio forum who will never buy a product from the company again becasue of their poor experiences with support for the current products.

I have posted this here simply in the hope that it comes to the attention of somone at Avid who can do something positive about the situation...or at least give a clear,definate indication as to the current schedule of development rather than the "er...we think it might be June or July" predictions that end users seem to be expected to put up with at the moment.

Sorry for the rant but-something needs to be done.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:56 AM

Default Re: Avid-what's going on with M-audio drivers support?

Okay-so I only posted this a day ago.But as I expected,it hasn't provoked a response from anyone at Avid.

As a footnote to this,my FTU stopped working for the umpteenth time again today after I was advised to experiment with the "high performance mode" in order to try and stop the annoying intremittent noises.
Re-installed it,no joy.Tried the quick on/off trick,no joy.
After putting up with this nonesense for 18 months or so,I've finally had enough.I'm getting rid of this piece of junk.

My work's Digi 003 works fine on my system....the Saffire Pro 40 I tried today works fine...the Firewire Solo works fine...it's just the damn FTU that doesn't!!!
I've persevered with it because I've invested good mone in PT8 and also need to use it on my laptop (which also has the same issues....again,only with this unit.)

Otherwise I'd just go back to the Audiophile 192 pci card and have done with it..

And before anyone at Avid asks for spec ists of my system,these are acknowledged driver issues with this unit-by none other than the "product manager" himself.
Nothing to do with chipsets or USB controllers.Hence every other device I've used working fine.

Ridiculous.

Even after all this,I'm considering a Profire 2626 but the last thing I want to do is throw good money after bad.I'm also aware of the infamous sample instability that apparently affects this model and the 610...I just don't know if I trust M-Audio gear (or more to the point the apparent total lack of ongoing support for the products.)

Either way,if anyone wants a very cheap FTU let me know.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:31 AM

I'm not from AVID...... so sorry about that! I'm hoping for a reply from them too about my new install getting stuck during launch..!?

Anyway re your post... an alternative to M-Audio (I think) are the iOnyx Mixers from Mackie - although they may not run with M-Powered? Just read about them this week so don't know for sure but if they do work, than that does start to open up some choice.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:02 AM

Hi fella...thanks for looking!Ha!

Regarding the Onyx stuff...I've looked into it and they seem pretty good and do work with PT8 by using a "Mackie qualified" driver.
I used to own a Mackie 400f which was great quality while it actually worked....same preamps as the new stuff,nice.
Similar probs to M-Audio though in that the driver support was "intermittent" at best.Have a look on the Mackie support forums,and there are similar gripes about ongoing product support to the FTU thread on the M-Audio site.
That's the only thing that's putting me off the Onyx stuff at the mo.

They have just released what looks like a killer new interface called the "Blackbird"...19 inch rack,8 Onyx pres,ADAT,word clock etc...retails at about £499 in the UK.
I emailed Mackie support last week to ask if they had plans to make it PT8 compatible in the way the Onyx desks are...
No reply from them as yet....perhaps they hang out with the M-Audio tech guys....

If they do,it looks like it has the spec to seriously dent both Profire and Digi 003 sales.To my ears,The Onyx pres are way superior to either of the others..(I have A Digi 003 at work.)
Just my opinion of course.

I would certainly consider buying one over an 003 or Profire.

Regarding your install issues..I had exactly the same problem a while ago when first installing PT8.What I found was that each time I tried to install it,it would hang on the next plug in in the RTAS list..after about ten attempts,it finally fully installed.
All I can suggest is that you keep trying.It eventually worked for me.
Interestingly,I recently re-installed everything from scratch due to an "issue" with my Liquid Mix 16.It didn't happen after this.Very odd.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:28 AM

Thanks for the tip re my install is give that a go. It's for 10 PC's in a college and up to now they have all worked fine - just this new install after some OS/system upgrades has messed it all up.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:52 AM

I agree about the drivers, but if it's any consolation I have had very limited problems with my profire 2626 in the last 8 months. I does work well. BUt I could see need for improvement.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:55 PM

Yeah, I've lost the control panel on my FTU. I've pissed off; only har this thing a matter of weeks and it's [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]ed up already. Posted several times on the subject, to the sound of deafening silence.. (Just looked, and I can't find a trace of my post!!) Do you have any clues on it? It may just be coincidence, but it seemed to go awol right after I updated my Pro Tools MP9 to 9.05, the new driver release. I deleted and reinstalled the FTU drivers, sought out and updated them also, but to no avail.. Any ideas?
Old 11-01-2012, 03:01 PM

And yes, the FTU seems to be obsolete so far as Avid are concerned. I can no longer find trace of it on the site, and it's not listed on the drop down menu for 'Support'. I heard good reports about Avid, which was one of the deciding reasons I invested in this product package, but alarm bells are clanging loud and clear now..
Old 11-05-2012, 04:19 PM

As a new M-Audio user (Fast Track C-400) I am extremely disappointed by the inability to get any support from Avid. Here's my (very bizarre) issue....at random times, usually every 2-3 days, the audio on my Windows 7 PC simply stops working. Only solution is to shut down, re-start, then de-install the M-Audio driver, and re-install. it. Worse yet...simply shutting down the PC, even when the audio is working, necessitates this smae process....de-install and re-install. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? By the way, I have done complete system scans to insure there are no viruses present. A couple of Google searches indicated I should make changes to my Power Management settings....to absolutely no avail. Help!
Old 11-12-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrdland49 View Post
As a new M-Audio user (Fast Track C-400) I am extremely disappointed by the inability to get any support from Avid. Here's my (very bizarre) issue....at random times, usually every 2-3 days, the audio on my Windows 7 PC simply stops working. Only solution is to shut down, re-start, then de-install the M-Audio driver, and re-install. it. Worse yet...simply shutting down the PC, even when the audio is working, necessitates this smae process....de-install and re-install. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? By the way, I have done complete system scans to insure there are no viruses present. A couple of Google searches indicated I should make changes to my Power Management settings....to absolutely no avail. Help!
Man i have the same issue with the fast track pro sound dies randomly once a week if not once a few days what i do and it seems to work for me is too turn off the monitors if you have studio monitors that is then wait untill you hear the first pops in the L & R speakers then switch of the power in the M-Audio soundcard and back on fast leave a few secs then turn back on the power of the montiors and you dont have to shut down the computer or reinstall the software for M-audio.
Hope this helps