Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2015, 04:13 PM

Default strange monitoring issue

i've been having a strange issue with monitoring in pt 11..

when i disarm a track, i can still hear it through the speakers. i can even delete the track and, as long as the microphone (or anything: instruments, etc) is plugged into the interface, you can still hear it. in fact, i can have a completely blank session and i'll still hear anything that's plugged into the interface.
to remedy this, i've just been doing all tracking in pt 10 (which does NOT have that issue) then switching to pt 11 for editing, mixing. this should not be happening though.
has anyone else had this issue? i'm lost as to how to fix it.

the interface i'm using is irrelevant as it's done it with 3 different interfaces including what i'm currently using which is an apollo twin duo.
at first, i was using the mbox 2 pro so i assumed that antiquated, unsupported hardware was the problem. i got the apollo to remedy the situation (and just as a cool upgrade) but the issue didn't go away.

any ideas i haven't tried are welcome BUT, more than anything, i'm looking for someone who has ACTUALLY EXPERIENCED THIS and REMEDIED IT!
thanks!!!
Old 04-13-2015, 04:16 PM

Default Re: strange monitoring issue

live monitoring is turned on, apparently. This is a function that each device can turn on and off in its control panel.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:21 PM

the apollo twin doesn't have live monitoring option (like the mboxes).. plus, when i was using the mbox, it was turned all the way down and it still did it in pt11 but not in pt10 with no changes to the hardware :-P

EDIT2: ok, i did find a live monitoring-esque option in the apollo's gui but the issue seems to be even more complex..
when i mute the input monitoring on the apollo's gui, it does, indeed cut the sound but it cuts all monitoring altogether including in pro tools. this, however happens ONLY when low-latency monitoring is turned on. if i turn it off, the problem goes away but you hear the awful latency (even when set to 32 samples).
THIS MAKES NO SENSE!! why does this not happen in pt10!!?? this is definitely a software issue!!! please!! has ANYONE been through this!!??
Old 04-15-2015, 03:56 PM

You don't really say anything about your set up? But it sounds very similar to an issue I had a few months ago with PT11 and an MBox 2 Pro on a Mac Pro -

If its the same issue, then the advice I was given was to first launch PT10 with your interface selected as the audio device, then quit and launch PT11, at which point the constant live monitoring of the inputs is disabled. It worked for me- but you do have to do this every time you boot your computer.

Hope this helps

Dan