Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 05-11-2017, 06:17 AM

Default Eleven Rack has very low output volume on studio monitors

I often use the Eleven Rack to practice, and run the sound through my studio monitors. My previous monitors were a pair of M-Audio BX8, but I just replaced them with new JBL LSR305 monitors. I have used these monitors to record, and they work just fine. However, yesterday I connected a guitar to the Eleven Rack as always, but when I went to play, the sound out of the monitors was VERY low. Just to get an audible sound out of the monitors, I had to have the Eleven Rack at volume 9, which I never play at. I usually have the volume at 5-6, and that is fine.

For some reason, the Eleven Rack is not powering these monitors. I have checked the User Settings, and everything is normal. I haven't changed anything since switching out the monitors. The monitors' volume is also set at a normal level (as I said, I have used them to record, and they worked normally).

Any feedback or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:21 AM

Default Re: Eleven Rack has very low output volume on studio monitors

hi..

I would not expect two monitors of different brands, sizes, and power ratings to sound the same volume level with the same input.. so i would check the sensitivity and volume controls on the back of your new monitors.. hopefully thats all it needs

cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Designer66 View Post
I often use the Eleven Rack to practice, and run the sound through my studio monitors. My previous monitors were a pair of M-Audio BX8, but I just replaced them with new JBL LSR305 monitors. I have used these monitors to record, and they work just fine. However, yesterday I connected a guitar to the Eleven Rack as always, but when I went to play, the sound out of the monitors was VERY low. Just to get an audible sound out of the monitors, I had to have the Eleven Rack at volume 9, which I never play at. I usually have the volume at 5-6, and that is fine.

For some reason, the Eleven Rack is not powering these monitors. I have checked the User Settings, and everything is normal. I haven't changed anything since switching out the monitors. The monitors' volume is also set at a normal level (as I said, I have used them to record, and they worked normally).

Any feedback or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:53 AM

That's definitely not the issue. The monitor's volume is set normal. It's some setting in the Eleven Rack. The monitors' volume is normal when mixing. I barely hear the Eleven Rack on 9-10 volume when playing guitar through it.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:17 AM

Have you checked your guitar cable?

Are you using Active Pickups? Did you check the battery?

Did you try adjusting the rig output volume?

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 05-12-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
Have you checked your guitar cable?

Are you using Active Pickups? Did you check the battery?

Did you try adjusting the rig output volume?
I tried a few different cables, all the same result.

I tried 3 different guitars, all the same result.

Changing the rig output volume had no effect.

Bottom line: The only way I can hear the Eleven Rack over my monitors at a very low volume is to put the thing on 10 - and that's not going to work.
Old 05-12-2017, 12:17 PM

If changing the Rig Output volume did not make the rig louder then there is a problem.

Start by resetting the Eleven Rack. Backup all rigs first!

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 05-20-2017, 06:46 AM

Ok - I have found what the problem is. I have a Focusrite Saffire Pro40 Interface that is connected to the JBL SR305 monitors via TRS cables. The Output-to-monitors on the Focusrite is TRS. Now I also have the Eleven Rack connected to the JBL SR305 monitors via XLR. The Output-to-monitors on the Eleven Rack is XLR. When I disconnected the TRS cables from the back of the monitors, suddenly, the volume from the Eleven Rack was normal. Very good volume at volume #5.

So - I guess that I cannot have both the XLR and TRS cables connected to the monitors at the same time. This is annoying because my previous M-Audio BX8 monitors were connected via XLR and TRS, and never had this issue. So anytime that I want to play the Eleven Rack solo just for practice, I will need to disconnect the TRS cables from the monitors. Had I known this, I would have never bought those monitors. They sound great, but what a pain in the *****.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:11 AM

ah, you got it, good ..will note tho that the manual covers exactly your scenario,

good news tho is that if you have unused inputs in your Pro40 then you can use your interface as a mixer..

run the mixcontrol software, setup your routings, and then neither the computer or the DAW is needed and the interface is a standalone mixer (fwiw i use 18i20 and do this with synths)

Audio Connections
Connect signal sources to either the XLR or 6 mm (¼") INPUT CONNECTORS. Connect only a single signal source to the speaker using either the XLR INPUT CONNECTOR, OR the 6 mm (¼") TRS INPUT CONNECTOR. Do not connect multiple signal sources to both input connectors simultaneously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Designer66 View Post
Ok - I have found what the problem is. I have a Focusrite Saffire Pro40 Interface that is connected to the JBL SR305 monitors via TRS cables. The Output-to-monitors on the Focusrite is TRS. Now I also have the Eleven Rack connected to the JBL SR305 monitors via XLR. The Output-to-monitors on the Eleven Rack is XLR. When I disconnected the TRS cables from the back of the monitors, suddenly, the volume from the Eleven Rack was normal. Very good volume at volume #5.

So - I guess that I cannot have both the XLR and TRS cables connected to the monitors at the same time. This is annoying because my previous M-Audio BX8 monitors were connected via XLR and TRS, and never had this issue. So anytime that I want to play the Eleven Rack solo just for practice, I will need to disconnect the TRS cables from the monitors. Had I known this, I would have never bought those monitors. They sound great, but what a pain in the *****.