Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2011, 05:57 AM

Thumbs down R E A L L Y - P I S S E D - O F - A B O U T - T H E - L A C K - O F - 64bit - PT 9

Sorry Guys but I have counted to 10 many times today!!!

- First by attempting to download an update to PT9

- Then by finding out that this updated costs around 250 euro
- 3rd the Firefox 4 Ilok issue, which I solved by using Safari instead, but that's off topic

- 4rd finally purchased and downloaded to update my PT8 to PT9.3

- 5th Fired it up and read in the activity monitor that it still runned in the default Intel mode instead of 64 bit!!! (now that is a bloody shame and just such a lame way of deceiving people. This is ordinairy theft!!!)

- OK, so that was my 3rd moment of counting to 10. I thought: OK, maybe I missed something? So I rechecked, redownloaded all the stuff and still no luck!!!

Where is the promissed 64 bits PT9 Version for **** sake!!!

I mean, 250 euro's for a 32 bits version that just appears to be the very same as PT8? Come one, you guys can't be serious about that?

I guess that there are more people unsatisfied about this and of course there is NO WAY to get a refund?

You better come up with a VERY good reason for this stupidity. What a laughing stock...

I feel it coming; with the lamest voice ever:

"Uhm, It wouldn't work on a 002"

or whatever kinds of ****storms you try to get away with...

Sorry, but I am just very dissappointed and wanted to express it right here

http://www.arnoldveeman.com

Mac 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon | 12gb DDR3 | Protools 8 | Solid State Logic Xlogic Alpha | 002 LE Rack | KRK Rokit 8

Neumann | Brauner | Sennheiser | Shure
Old 05-28-2011, 06:14 AM

Default Re: R E A L L Y - P I S S E D - O F - A B O U T - T H E - L A C K - O F - 64bit - PT

Here is a thought. Maybe you should have checked before you paid and downloaded PT 9. It was never promised to be 64 bit. You just kind of come off looking like a jackass.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:26 AM

Default Re: R E A L L Y - P I S S E D - O F - A B O U T - T H E - L A C K - O F - 64bit - PT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldencd View Post
Here is a thought. Maybe you should have checked before you paid and downloaded PT 9. It was never promised to be 64 bit. You just kind of come off looking like a jackass.
You're completely right about me looking like a Jackass .

But, when I wasn't able to properly run some updated Protools on my "old" computer, and I had to upgrade it to my current computer; then I had to upgrade PT7 to PT8 in order to get it working there was (and I can't recall it precisely) a promise of a 64 bit support. That is why I/we had to upgrade our computers.

PLUS!!! It is very strange for I never had any memory issues before (I mean I have 12GB memory on my machine, and only 2 or 3 can be used) Since one week I have memory issues when using PT8. Silent updates? Trust me, I constantly monitor my computer and fix errors, delete prefs and databases when necessary. I've been through all of that kind of stuff.

BTW, if I don't state it like this they will not come up with a proper answer. And I am really pissed of, but I agree that there is a more respectful way to show that

Mac 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon | 12gb DDR3 | Protools 8 | Solid State Logic Xlogic Alpha | 002 LE Rack | KRK Rokit 8

Old 05-28-2011, 06:33 AM

This is not breaking news. Unfortunately, for the time being Protools is still a 32 bit application. That means for running VI's you'll hit the RAM ceiling pretty quickly. In my experience, that's usually about 2.57 GB in the Activity monitor. The good news is that there is a solution, and it's called VE Pro. It will allow you to host your instruments outside of Protools and get to work quickly by accessing the full potential of the RAM inside your machine. A quick search of the forum will reveal numerous success stories. If you are a composer, it is absolutely essential. I hope this helps.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:13 AM

The promise (which was delivered) was for Pro Tools to run on 64 bit operating systems.
At no time was there an announcement that PT itself was 64 bit, but they are working on it.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:18 AM

Pro Tools 9 uses iLok. How long has iLok been 64bit on OSX? About a week.

D
Windows 7 (x64)Pro
RME Multiface II
Intensity
ATI HD5400 series graphics card
Old 05-28-2011, 07:44 AM

Another option is to run 64 bit REAPER as a rewire slave. It is extremely efficient and native will run VST, VSTis.

AVID gets compliments on this DUC. They must be prepared for a tee'd off composer who spent 5K on RAM alone on a PowerMac... sitting idle.

iLok is a separate company. But thanks for the tip. So HTML 5 -- Safari 5 it is. Not Firefox. If anyone is attempting to delete Safari 4, it won't work. Use the software updater to 5. All remnants (we hope) of Safari 4 and its hackable compiler (iPhoto, iLife) should be gone.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumster View Post
This is not breaking news. Unfortunately, for the time being Protools is still a 32 bit application. That means for running VI's you'll hit the RAM ceiling pretty quickly. In my experience, that's usually about 2.57 GB in the Activity monitor. The good news is that there is a solution, and it's called VE Pro. It will allow you to host your instruments outside of Protools and get to work quickly by accessing the full potential of the RAM inside your machine. A quick search of the forum will reveal numerous success stories. If you are a composer, it is absolutely essential. I hope this helps.
Yes, that is why I mentioned it in the first place. I rewire Sibelius (for scoring) and Reason (for sequencer/synthesiser availability, and my custom percussion and other samples)

Sibelius is then packed with 3 VE instances with 16 VI Pro slots each.

So I really have have to configure my set-up with great caution in order to keep my memory happy.

Since Reason and Sibelius 4 aren't 64 bits too it is "slightly" frustrating that Avid comes up with version 9 without this too. I mean all the machines are ready. We've all committed to pay and put efforts in the development of the Pro Tools Flag ship and now they come with this?

I still say booo

Oh and by the way. It's off topic, but you don't really need VE Pro. The standard edition is 64 bits as well.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarylG View Post
Pro Tools 9 uses iLok. How long has iLok been 64bit on OSX? About a week.

D
LOL so, they'll (Avid) come up with a 64 bits update right afterwards, I assume?

I don't know... And I didn't realise the iLok thing. Bright!!

Old 05-28-2011, 09:27 AM

The same thing happened when Apple moved from 24 bit to 32 bit. It requires rewriting the code in such a manner that everything still works reliably with old session files. This is not trivial to do.

I can't imagine they haven't already been working on this for years and want to release it ASAP. Some developers just throw their users past projects under the bus. The fact that digi/Avid have never done this to us is a lot of why they are so dominant in the pro world.