Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2001, 02:15 AM

Default New Bug? Anyone think you know the answer to this????

A few days ago, I posted that I had recorded a dat session off of aFostex D5, and it sounded like the chipmunks when I listened to it. We figured that b/c our friend recorded in LP mode, it was speeding up on the transfer?? (this DAT only records 32k in lp mode)

So tonight I was going to hook it up via xlr to 1/4" adapters, but on a whim I plugged the optical out of the DAT into the opti in on my pci card. I left spdif mirroring on. Selected optical in my settings, left it on other (not da-30) and hit record. To my amazement this time it recorded like it sounded out of the DAT.
I recorded the entire DJ set, on a stereo audio track, and afterwards, added the dither plug in to it, and bounced to disk tweakhead style. I selected convert after bounce, stereo interleaved, 16/44.
The final product sounds good when opened in QT, and on CD.
Cool right?

Well now when I reopen the original session, and hit play, the original audio file sounds spead up, like alvin and the gang !!!!!!!!

Even when I was recording and monitoring it, It NEVER sounded fast. Only when you play it back. Out of the DAT it sounded normal

I rebooted tried again no luck. How can this be?
?

Thanks
Kris
g4/400
os 9.1
PTLE 5.1.1
Am I missing something here?????
[img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 09-27-2001, 07:17 AM
Avid

Default Re: New Bug? Anyone think you know the answer to this????

-Once you finish transferring the material into PT LE, you should always switch the Sync Mode setting of the session back to "Internal".

Brent
Old 09-28-2001, 12:19 AM

Digi,

Thanks for the reply. I opened the session set sync to internal., and still sounds like the chipmunks. Any other ideas????

TIA
Kris Whitten
Old 09-28-2001, 06:51 AM
Avid

Open the files in another application, such as SoundApp, and check out at what speed they play back.

Brent
Old 09-28-2001, 10:57 AM

Brent,

Now I open them with QT and they playback fast. The problem is when I first recorded them, they played normal. Now they all play fast. How can this happen? I actually burned a cd with the file, and it was normal. Now overnight the file has gotten faster? (the cd plays fine, the orig. file from my HD is now speedy)

Can you tell me what settings need to be what so I can record this? When I hit play on the dat/ and record on the PTLE, it plays normal speed. This is making NO SENSE

Thanks again,
Kris
Old 09-28-2001, 11:16 AM

Did you by any chance accidentally record in PT's half-speed mode? You do this by holding shift and hitting record. This would explain why your file sounded fine while recording, but sped up when played back.

However, if you burned your file (aiff, I assume) to a CD-R and played it back on a conventional CD player without incident, then I have no idea what the problem is.

encephalon
Old 09-28-2001, 11:23 AM

can someone tell me EXACTLY what settings to have, or which ones I need to double check before I try recording this again?

Thanks
Kris
P.S. I don't think I recorded in half speed, but then again who knows? I wouldn't have held shift while clicking on record.......
Old 09-28-2001, 02:11 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by kris whitten:
[/QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the problem is PT doesn't have a 32k clock setting. So it sounded fine when the DAT was clock master.

The solution is to sample rate convert the file to 44.1k instead, then open it in PT with clock set to internal, 44.1k.
Old 09-28-2001, 02:47 PM

Exactly what I was thinking Mark. You were clocking to 32k when you recorded, bounced etc. The next time you opened the session, you were probably no longer clocking to the DAT, so it played back clocking to internal 44.1, giving you a sped up version.

I don't quite follow how you would sample rate convert it once it's in Pro-Tools, because Pro-Tools thinks it's already a 44.1k file. The only solution I see is to bring it in analog through the digi's pre's, and next time, don't use 32k, although I'm sure you've learned your lesson [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-28-2001, 09:31 PM

Gotcha guys. My friend recorded in LP "Because I can get TWO sets on ONE tape !!!!!........)

oh Brother....

Kris [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]