Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2018, 08:36 AM

Default Re: Sonnox VoxDoubler, the first Plug-In of new Toolbox range

this sounds great.. and i have waves doubler, waves ADT, sountoys microshift, nectar 2 (has a pretty extensive doubler), avox duo and a couple others. None of them give the instantly natural results on *vocals* that this does. It just works.

Hey, it's not 100% realistic, but it's the best of the bunch.

The very best artificial auto doubling i have ever heard bar none is in revoice pro, but that's an offline process and a $499 (retail, sales around 330) app..so.. this plugin is a very inexpensive second place :)
Old 01-27-2018, 07:52 AM

Its not bad, but IMO it is very similar to AVOX Duo.

maybe the Sonnox is a little bit better.

AVOX was the only plug in (in the past) that simulates a "real" doubled recorded Voice. And it makes a good job.

Waves doubler is only a pitch-detune and delay for conventional stereo "widening".

ADT is one of my favorites, with its "random" modulations value it is also near to a doubled voice but a little more artificial. you can get very cool settings with it.

P.S.: And Yes Revoice Pro is much better than all of them. But its not working in realtime as a Plug in.
Old 01-27-2018, 01:51 PM

That was my impression too, that it was like Duo with an improved featureset. Sometimes I've gotten the Sonnox to give me a better result than Duo or Fix. Revoice is really the only thing that creates something resembling a real backup vocal.
Old 01-28-2018, 03:08 AM

Revoice does double-tracking pretty well imho, but the cost is about 8 times VoxDoubler. I use ADT all the time, but still feel this one is a good addition to the toolpack especially with the introductory price..
Old 01-28-2018, 04:58 AM

ADT doesn't have any pitch variation which makes it unrealistic for vocals IMO.. there is just no way that any two vocal takes can have identical pitch to that degree...

I don't understand why anyone thinks waves doubler is doing a different thing to avox duo.. duo is doing the same thing.. adding a second voice delayed, and slightly pitch shifted, and the pitch and timing knobs simply control the amount of variation or "modulation" on the delay and pitch.. ie timing and pitch,.

Waves doubler is the exact same thing except you can have more voices and more control over the modulation.

Nectar doubler is the same thing.

Revoice pro is using the same basic idea, check out the edit options.. they are like any other doubler..

The difference is the *quality* of the actual second vocal being produced, especially pitch shift quality, and the automatic algorithms that make easy work of it.

The nectar doubler is one of the better ones too btw.

other nice ones are schwah micro CMX
Old 01-31-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerF View Post
Agreed, after listening to the demos I've also come to the conclusion too that it doesn't sound like an actual doubled vocal. Too bad. The audio world could use a plugin that actually accomplishes this.
Most plugin doublers don't sound real. Revoice Pro comes quite close, though. The tuning is also super! and you can get good vibratos with some work, but I find the tuning interface counter-intuitive and difficult to use. Not at all like melodyne, even though I sometimes prefer the results from Revoice.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
The very best artificial auto doubling i have ever heard bar none is in revoice pro, but that's an offline process and a $499 (retail, sales around 330) app..so.. this plugin is a very inexpensive second place :)
It used to be entirely offline, but is now tethered to PT. You can monitor it in a PT track, and runs in sync with PT. It takes just seconds to transfer tracks to and fro.
Old 02-01-2018, 05:27 AM

I've seen it, haven't heard it. Hoping it lives up to its hype
Old 02-01-2018, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesbrunn View Post
It used to be entirely offline, but is now tethered to PT. You can monitor it in a PT track, and runs in sync with PT. It takes just seconds to transfer tracks to and fro.
Yeah, that was a bit odd. If memory serves, even the original versions of Revoice used a Rewire like process. Its been so fast and seamless the last 5+ years, its not even an issue. I do a lot of tuning in it as well. Once you get used to shortcuts to change tools for tuning, you can move quite fast for a manual tuning process.

As for Sonnox VoxDoubler, I think it sounds great if you approach it as a micro pitch shift tool. Its actually one of the better sound micro pitch shifting plugins. I did a video on our website when it was released for this reason, I was quite surprised how good it sounded. I still have my Eventide H3k (hardware) for when I want the "real" thing and the SoundToys Micro PitchShift is my normal "goto". But VoxDoubler (especially Widen) is a bit more pronounced. I really like it.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 02-02-2018, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesbrunn View Post
Most plugin doublers don't sound real. Revoice Pro comes quite close, though. The tuning is also super! and you can get good vibratos with some work, but I find the tuning interface counter-intuitive and difficult to use. Not at all like melodyne, even though I sometimes prefer the results from Revoice.
Had to smile when I read this. I have Melodyne as well, but for myself, I find Revoice much easier, more intuitive to use. Diff strokes for different folks....