Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 08-13-2009, 03:28 PM

Default ///free mastering plugs

///looking for free mastering plugs
just tried stereo tool from flux thats pretty cool at the beginning of the chain so whats next two eqs followed by two compressors and a limiter with a dither and why not a linear phase eq in the chains two eqs!!!

:::so looking for free plugs like does above but not the massey stuff it did not pass the test of time!!! thanks duc
Old 08-13-2009, 03:48 PM

Default Re: ///free mastering plugs

I don't think your going to find much decent mastering stuff out there for free but there are a few bargains to be had.

The 6 for 1 offer from IK will give you a half way decent mastering suite for $99 plus a few other goodies. Admittedly it's not multi-band but it would get you off the ground.

Ozone is great plugin, comprehensive set of tools for a good price and multiband, if you have ozone lite as part of your digi software then there's a lower upgrade price.

Put flux at the end of the chain but before dither, you need to see what effect your tweaking and plugins is having on phase and levels, not much use st the start unless you constantly want to see the phase and levels of the dry signal?
Old 08-13-2009, 04:12 PM

i just tried one strereo tool up front plus at the end of the chain also before dither!!! yeah thats good

ozone 3 lite is weak but i tried 4 as a demo nice!!!
but i prefer it more like and old board
check out the listing below must take like 20 inserts for this chain he masters arcade fire.

Crane Song HEDD 192 A/D & D/A & enhancer///RME AES-32 I/O///Weiss EQ1-MK2DYN+LP equalizer///Weiss DS1-MK3 compressor/de-esser///Requisite Audio L2M mk2 optical tube limiterCustom built Barry Porter design BPNEQ-v1B EQ Sontec customized MEP-250EX parametric EQ Millennia NSEQ-F modified equalizer///Pendulum Audio OCL-2Optical Tube Compressor///Pendulum Audio PL-2 Analog Limiter///Crane Song STC-8 compressor ///Manley Labs Vari-Mu compressor/// Empirical Labs DerrEssers (stereo pair) ///Waves L2 Digital Limiter/// Magix Sequoia 10.1 DAW software

http://www.greymarketmastering.com/gear.html
Old 08-14-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onepercentfree View Post
i just tried one strereo tool up front plus at the end of the chain also before dither!!! yeah thats good

ozone 3 lite is weak but i tried 4 as a demo nice!!!
but i prefer it more like and old board
check out the listing below must take like 20 inserts for this chain he masters arcade fire.

Crane Song HEDD 192 A/D & D/A & enhancer///RME AES-32 I/O///Weiss EQ1-MK2DYN+LP equalizer///Weiss DS1-MK3 compressor/de-esser///Requisite Audio L2M mk2 optical tube limiterCustom built Barry Porter design BPNEQ-v1B EQ Sontec customized MEP-250EX parametric EQ Millennia NSEQ-F modified equalizer///Pendulum Audio OCL-2Optical Tube Compressor///Pendulum Audio PL-2 Analog Limiter///Crane Song STC-8 compressor ///Manley Labs Vari-Mu compressor/// Empirical Labs DerrEssers (stereo pair) ///Waves L2 Digital Limiter/// Magix Sequoia 10.1 DAW software

http://www.greymarketmastering.com/gear.html
the only plugin i see in that list is an L2, which certainly isn't free. in fact, that's somewhere around a $50k list. are you expecting to find something equivalent for free? you can get a very reasonable set of plugs for less than $500 - Ozone is the best bang for the buck, i believe.

Mac Pro 2.8Ghz Octo, 4GB, 10.5.5, Digi002, LE 8.0
G5 1.8Ghz Dual, 2GB, 10.4.11, Digi003, LE 7.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by daeron80 View Post
i used to think that mac was more stable but i've come to think that really it's just that, even when it crashes, mac is more fun.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:34 PM

I've got the Waves stuff but there are times when the Massey stuff is just right. I'm very fond of the 3 channel preset EQ.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:58 AM

I agree that the Massey L2007 is a great value(plus, if you buy it for $89, you can download the DTM plugin for free). Russ over on the AIR blog showed a nice video on using the Maxim and AIR plugins to master and those are all included in PT8. That sounds free to me.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-15-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I agree that the Massey L2007 is a great value(plus, if you buy it for $89, you can download the DTM plugin for free). Russ over on the AIR blog showed a nice video on using the Maxim and AIR plugins to master and those are all included in PT8. That sounds free to me.
Can you direct me to the video please?
Old 08-15-2009, 11:09 AM

http://airvirtualinstruments.blogspo...beginners.html

That may be the one he's talking about... Haven't seen it yet myself..
Old 08-15-2009, 05:11 PM

///I lost Ross last week with is dr dre demo the brit dude is to much on the early demo stage not really good info and i would not recommend what he is doing.
Plus it sounds like almost all the other digi demos!! actually their stuff is more for elevator jingle music lovers not really interesting for modern engineers!!!
Gearslutz as better testing by pros who really want to help us inspiring and hard working beta engineers and why doesn't digi and air step up there game like digi did with charles dye a few years back that was very very useful info for us non elevator digi sounding engineers!!

ps:I tried ross's kill eq - 3 stereo aux example and it just gives way to much color and sucks the whole sound to a complete lower level saturation just takes to much out of the mix and i would never use air stuff on my master buss and maxim was always useless!! kill eq is really really great on the console just add another eq to go with it and your set!!! can do pretty much anything with that eq combo !!! and please ross no more dr dre demos cause he makes the cleanest mixes with the fullest beats and that's not part of any of your tutorials so far so step your game up!! peaca
Old 08-15-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onepercentfree View Post
///I lost Ross last week with is dr dre demo the brit dude is to much on the early demo stage not really good info and i would not recommend what he is doing.
Plus it sounds like almost all the other digi demos!! actually their stuff is more for elevator music jingle music lovers not really interesting for modern engineers!!!
Gearslutz as better testing by pros who really want to help us inspiring and hard working beta engineers and why doesn't digi and air step up there game like digi did with charles dye a few years back that was very very useful info for us non elevator digi sounding engineers!!

ps:I tried ross's kill eq - 3 stereo aux example and it just gives way to much color and sucks the whole sound to a complete lower level saturation just takes to much out of the mix and i would never use air stuff on my master buss and maxim was always useless!! kill eq is really great on the console just add another eq to go with it and your set!!! can do pretty much anything with that eq combo !!! and please ross no more dr dre demos cause he makes the cleanest mixes with the fullest beats and that's not part of any of your tutorials so step your game up!! peaca
That's pretty rude, guy...

I guess you're an OG so you don't need any of that kind of advice, huh?