Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 04-23-2013, 12:04 PM

Default Daisy Chain Avid Thunderbolt

hi there !

I‘m trying too figure out how too have a dual monitor + LCD display trough my Mac Mini daisy-channig via Thunderbolt

ok my setup is

Mac Mini I7 (2011)
Avid Omni
Avid Thunderbolt
Apple Cinema Display (DVI)
Samsung Syncmaster
Samsung LCD

I was thinking in this setup , so i can output video not only to Pro Tools but also having a extended desktop to two monitors.

-For the extended desktop , example - Newer Technology has a USB 2.0 Video display Adapter which adds an additional monitor via USB ( Matrox has also the DualHead models but that way i would occupy my Thunderbolt Port)

-For Video out from Pro Tools to a LCD - Black Magic Intensity Pro ( PCIe )

-For hosting the Blackmagic PCIe card - OWC Mercury Helios Thunderbolt Expansion Chassis

Now the OWC Mercury Helios Thunderbolt Expansion Chassis has two Thunderbolt ports this way i could daisy-chain with the Avid Thunderbolt ?

My question is , do i have a compability problem daisy-channig the OWC to Avid Thunderbolt ?

Is OWC is compatible with Blackmagic Intensity Pro ?

Avid also tested and approved Blackmagic Intensity

I know that Avid has approved the Magma Chassis but what about other chassis like OWC ?

Please see the image below of the setup
Old 04-23-2013, 12:28 PM

Default Re: Daisy Chain Avid Thunderbolt

The OWC works fine. People are already using it.

For the Samsung monitor, couldn't you use the HDMI out of the Mac Mini? Even if you need an adapter for the Samsung, that would keep it out of the chain and on a separate buss.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:46 PM

Weel that´s exactly one of my points.

The mac mini as only one thunderbolt port and one HDMI out !

Even with the matrox dual head solution i can´t see a way of having two monitors via hdmi out of the mac mini in a separate buss , since display port to hdmi adapters are crap!

Thank you for your reply
Old 04-23-2013, 06:17 PM

I meant that you could at least take one monitor out of the chain, which should help. It sounded like you were trying to run everything off the Thunderbolt port.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:55 AM

What box are you using to get two DVI outputs out of one HDMI?

I'm trying to get dual monitors with a Mac Mini and HD Navitve Thunderbolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave2828 View Post
hi there !

I‘m trying too figure out how too have a dual monitor + LCD display trough my Mac Mini daisy-channig via Thunderbolt

ok my setup is

Mac Mini I7 (2011)
Avid Omni
Avid Thunderbolt
Apple Cinema Display (DVI)
Samsung Syncmaster
Samsung LCD

I was thinking in this setup , so i can output video not only to Pro Tools but also having a extended desktop to two monitors.

-For the extended desktop , example - Newer Technology has a USB 2.0 Video display Adapter which adds an additional monitor via USB ( Matrox has also the DualHead models but that way i would occupy my Thunderbolt Port)

-For Video out from Pro Tools to a LCD - Black Magic Intensity Pro ( PCIe )

-For hosting the Blackmagic PCIe card - OWC Mercury Helios Thunderbolt Expansion Chassis

Now the OWC Mercury Helios Thunderbolt Expansion Chassis has two Thunderbolt ports this way i could daisy-chain with the Avid Thunderbolt ?

My question is , do i have a compability problem daisy-channig the OWC to Avid Thunderbolt ?

Is OWC is compatible with Blackmagic Intensity Pro ?

Avid also tested and approved Blackmagic Intensity

I know that Avid has approved the Magma Chassis but what about other chassis like OWC ?

Please see the image below of the setup