Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 01-24-2015, 06:54 PM

Default Alternatives to Pro Tools - Pro and Cons

As we all know the new Cons with Pro Tools ..., it seems many will be Jumping Ship to other DAWs ( or considering it )

There are also many Pro Tools users who already use other Daws alongside Pro Tools (for varied reasons ?) ,

Perhaps they can share their experiences of "Why" they chose that specific DAW , and what they find makes it so good compared to Pro Tools ?

- Also what is about that Alternative DAW that you dont like - that has you going back to Pro Tools ?

...., Also anyone who is considering Jumping Ship and already have another DAW selected ......, what is it that attracts you to that particular ALTERNATIVE DAW and not others ?

What "workflow / production gains " do you expect to gain from jumping ship away from pro Tools , ie ; after going through the learning curve involved with the new DAW

..., and is there anything from pro Tools that you are going to miss ?
- other than the pro tools workflow you have become accustomed to ? ...., (EG; Pro Tools features perhaps) ....,

Lets please keep it informative - and not turn the thread into a whine-fest against pro tools , as there are enough threads already to allow anyone to VENT (should they wish)
Old 01-24-2015, 07:10 PM

Default Re: Alternatives to Pro Tools - Pro and Cons

I'm interested in hearing this also.

I don't use anything other than Protools. I only do audio recording and even though I have a Reaper license haven't been able to really learn it that well. I have too many projects on my plate this spring to sit down and learn the alternatives. That will probably be my summer project--demoing what other DAWs are suitable to replace Protools, if need be.

Home/mobile: Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Focusrite Red 8Pre / Protools HD Native 2018.10 Ultimate
Old 01-24-2015, 07:31 PM

I'm using Logic and Pro Tools 11, but am starting to like using Logic more. Apple has released Logic 10.1 and fixed many issues I had.

For example, you used to not be able to name markers while recording and now you can. I have also had issues with Logic lagging when hitting the record button. That's all fixed.

Logic just is a much more solid program and it's really more flexible on a budget.

For live sound work, I need the option for more than 32 tracks of recording. The whole Pro Tools HD set up is a little convoluted an unneeded with today's modern computers.

With Logic, I feel like I'm worrying about things like making music, improving my mixes, and checking out new gear.

With Avid, I've seem to be more focused (and worried) on what they are doing lately than anything else.

Lastly, About 50-60 percent of posts on DUC are related to things not working or issues with Avid or recently the licensing. I haven't seen many of those posts on the Logic forum.

This is just spilled out there like thought vomit, just I just thought I would share. Hope this helps.

Oh...and one more thing. Compatibility. Trying to get PTHD to interface with other systems seems like a lot of work just to get features you get with pretty much every other DAW.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:05 PM

I've already jumped...

If all goes according to plan, I will start my first recording in Cubase tomorrow.

This has nothing to do with anything Avid has done or not done...I will simply be working on more MIDI-based music than I have done in the past...and it's no secret to anyone that Cubase is a better platform for that type of work.

I will still have my PT 9 rig unless the lottery gods come up with the $200 I would need to pay for an upgrade to PT 11.

But I thought it would be fun to hang around the DUC until NAMM was over just to watch the fireworks. And I must say it has been a far better show than I expected!

But, tomorrow, Cubase will become my main DAW...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 01-24-2015, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
I've already jumped...

If all goes according to plan, I will start my first recording in Cubase tomorrow.

This has nothing to do with anything Avid has done or not done...I will simply be working on more MIDI-based music than I have done in the past...and it's no secret to anyone that Cubase is a better platform for that type of work.

But, tomorrow, Cubase will become my main DAW...

Interesting Bill , In what ways is your midi workflow improved from using cubase ?

(I am only familiar with pro tools and have only heard that other DAW's are regarded as better suited for midi work , but I have not heard the specifics why ? )

Also Bill , you mention a desire to also upgrade to Pro Tools 11 (ie; if your cash flow permits)
- So obviously You still want to stay with pro Tools to an extent - Why is that Bill ?
- Is it because ; Pro Tools does things that Cubase doesnt ?, or is it because Pro tools does some things a lot better than Cubase can manage ? ..., if so what would these be .

and ..., Thanks also for your comments and contributions Bill (and the others)

it will also be interesting to hear how you settle in to cubase after a while , and to hear how /or if cubase it has shaped the way your work for the better (or not)
Old 01-24-2015, 10:05 PM

Default Alternatives to Pro Tools - Pro and Cons

I'm just waiting on harrison before I start using Mixbus more and more. I have a lot of work in pro tools. So I will keep it around. And was able to upgrade an old mp license to one with support. But unless they add something I really need, I'll probably stick with 11. Well I'll probably update to the newest version before the plan lapses and simply not renew.

Reasons for picking mixbus. The sound and workflow. It really is like using an analog console with compressor and EQ on every channel. Then another on the mixbusses. And again on the master. Plus analog tape saturation. Also their line of plug-ins are really nice. Their character series especially.

Why am I not already using it? It's currently doesn't support multiple threads/cores. So I can run out of DSP. And it doesn't support midi. It's an audio only daw right now. Both of those will be fixed in version 3. Which should be out soon.

Fwiw they mentioned in their forums they almost put the beta of v3 on the new iz radar box shown at NAMM. But decided it wasn't quite ready for prime time. And while pro tools has gotten most of the attention as being installed on the box, mixbus is also included. So even iZ must think something of its potential.
2009 Mac Pro - Dual X5650 Xeon 6-core 2.66Ghz procs, 48GB of Ram, SATA 3 and USB 3.0 PCIe cards. R9 280X video card. macOS Sierra. Harrison Mixbus 32C, Studio One 3, Reaper, and pro tools 12 when I have to.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:44 PM

I tried to jump to Logic about 4 months ago and just find it very convoluted and cluttered compared to PT simple clean layout.

- Logic editing has so many nuance of what tool and what area I clicked in the timeline. PT with the triple tool in the edit window is 90% of what i do. Then the precision editor would open and I found it near impossible to do simple things like measure how many samples wide a selection was

- Logic mixer with non arrangeable tracks was just confusing.

- Loved the Drummer track but then could not figure out how to make edits or make it change for different sections

- Loved flex pitch...

I am sure I would have gotten better - but just recording and editing an 8 track song was so hard - after a week or two I just gave up.
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 01-25-2015, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Logic just is a much more solid program and it's really more flexible on a budget.
does that include Apple Hardware tax?

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

PT11 System Requirements link http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/C...m-Requirements

Thank you,

Craig
Old 01-25-2015, 06:37 AM

For the last 15 years, I've been using both Digital Performer and Pro Tools. In fact I "learned" on DP and started to use Pro Tools a bit later. DP has extraordinary MIDI capabilities and for a while I always considered it a better DAW, "the best" so to speak. Working in film music/post production, I have always had to deal with sessions/projects coming from other studios as well and that's where problems appear with DP. Over the years, the old saying that Pro Tools isn't very good for composing has become less and less true imo. Nowadays I use DP sporadically thanks to its awful, awful UI and workflow compared to Pro Tools' - Pro Tools is fast, effective, stable, intuitive and gets my work done quickly. It's so good to have a DAW that doesn't get in your way when you have to be creative. Pro Tools has always gave me that feeling. Of course I've experienced bugs (and a major one a few days ago with the video engine actually), I've had problems at times like any other application. I've tried Logic as well but Ive never been able to get used to the "logic" behind it. At the end of the day, the only DAW that makes me truly productive has always been Pro Tools. So far, I don't like what I've seen with the annoucement of Pro Tools 12, and the non-HD version has a few pretty annoying, and unnecessary, limitations - yet I've been able to live with them.

I've always wanted to get into Logic, and its attractive price continues to attract me. DP is truly great and powerful, but it's also a mess. Pro Tools remains my favorite DAW to date, despite the disappointing "new" features of PT12.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:46 AM

While Pro Tools has its shortcomings, I've always found everything else to be even worse. If you think about it, the DAW is the cheapest thing we use. Most of us have way more invested just in plug-ins. If something was really better overall, I can assure you we'd have all switched to it.
Artists are the gatekeepers of truth! - Paul Robeson