Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2003, 07:50 AM

Default Mbox is too big, give us iLok & Built-in Audio!

As a PowerBook User, I would get so much more work done if I could fire up PT with just my iLok and some headphones. Dragging around an Mbox is too cumbersome.

I would love the option of iLok Authorization for the PT App...and of course the option to use built-in audio.

Am I the only one???

Fellow Portable PT users chime in please.....
Old 10-05-2003, 09:56 AM

Default Re: Mbox is too big, give us iLok & Built-in Audio!

I have wanted this for a really long time. I am always on the road and I need to do editing anywhere. Sometimes I am working on finishing something while I am riding in a vehicle and its rather annoying just to have the Mbox plugged in for that. Headphones plugged into my Powerbook aren't always loud enough though so its nice having the Mbox for a headphone amp. Maybe we will see something a little smaller some day.
Old 10-05-2003, 11:15 AM

Default Re: Mbox is too big, give us iLok & Built-in Audio

as a workaround you could use protools free on small sessions.
Old 10-05-2003, 11:22 AM

I second that motion(!) But I'm not really sure if I qualify. I've just ordered my new 15" AlumBook and will be downgrading my Digi-001 to an MBox. I do a lot of DJ mixes with ProTools and with this type of work, I envision tracking all the music at home and being able to do the mixdowns elsewhere, like on my lunch hour at work, etc. Having to lug around the MBox is a bit cumbersome just to do some quick tweaking and fiddling with the mixes.

<long rambling>
I realize that MBox was designed for portability. And I believe Digidesign succeeded in this regard, I mean the Mbox (once you saw off those little ears) is easy enough to pack in to a backpack and head out. The issue that is overlooked, IMHO, is the fact that when someone is feeling 'creative', they usually move pretty FAST. This is why, as I've found, most people design their home studios to be efficient and "ready-to-go" at all times.

When you stop and think about it, this is why, for example, patchbays exists. Yeah, it saves you from having to physically climb behind your rack to swap out all the cables but more importantly its FAST. You can reconfigure your gear to get whatever creative idea you've got so that you can EXECUTE that idea quickly.

I think this same philosophy applies to something like the MBox. I realize it doesn't take much to plug in the MBox while travelling with your portable, but it is cumbersome because, as has been pointed out, one can simply plug a dongle in and be done with it.

My ultimate point is this, you CANNOT be spontanesously creative with an MBox. To do so would require you to carry the MBox around WHENEVER you carry your portable (PowerBook). Carrying a dongle is easy because most people already have their keys with them and can easily just carry the dongle on the keychain.

Don't get me wrong though, I realize how difficult this request is. Ted and the crew at Digidesign would prolly have a hellish time converting the PT codebase to work with Apples Built-in audio because I'm sure from day-one-on-the-drawing-board, PT was coded to work exclusively with Digi hardware. This takes a LOT of the question-work out of the code, because not only would they have to support Apple's built-in audio but Windows Built-in audio(!) Gasp! Windows does not have built-in audio! PC's might have some audio built onto the motherboard, but for Digi to support Built-in audio, it would mean coding for all the 1000 different soundcards available under Windows. This is just infeasible.

I could be spot wrong on that but to implement what we are asking is more than just a little code hack but would require more resources than Digi has prioritized for. I'd LOVE to see it happen, but realistically, I'm not holding my breath.

Speaking of the MBox, like I mentioned, I'll be downgrading my Digi-001 to an Mbox, does anyone know if Digi has plan to make an MBox 2 with Firewire? I'd hold off switching if that were the case?
</long rambling>
Old 10-05-2003, 11:29 AM

I second the motion. I sold my Mbox when I realized it was too much of a pain to carry around just to work on edits on the plane, bus, etc.

Pro Tools Free is a good option, but with OS 9 basically dead and Digi seemingly unconcerned with updating it for potential new customers (it worked on me), the next best thing would be the iLok solution.
Old 10-05-2003, 11:48 AM

Boy, I'd go for that option!!! I'm traveling all the time and it's a real pain to cram that box into my travel bag when I'm out on a four day trip! I just want to be able to open my session and get some work done--no tracking--just post stuff. I'm thinking of goin' MOTU. I just wish I liked their program better. . . does it really require so many windows to do what we do with like 3 in PT!?
Old 10-05-2003, 01:11 PM

I hope someone at Digi reads this stuff, or at least hears about it...

I would gladly PAY for an additional "iLok licence" of PTLe to run on my laptop
without my 002r attached.

my 2¢ rant:

With the general trend in the software industry leaning toward online "activation"
of software (REQUIRING you to phone or tap into the Mothership), I really
hope developers also clue in to the fact that more and more people are
using laptops in addition to desktop machines and change some things.
They could update their Software License / sales practices and get
with the times by offering a "laptop or remote" license or bundle it
with an original version for an extra fee.

The reality is that a lot of people need a way to access their "licenced"
software away from home, office, etc. Online activation is great, but it's
really lame that ALL developers aren't offering iLok solutions. Waves does
it, why can't everyone else? (By everyone I mean MS, Macromedia, Adobe,
Digi themselves, Quark, etc.)

For example, Digi could offer 2 pricing structures for iLok / LE Versions:
- FREE to exisiting Digi Owners (same serial as your existing LE soft/hardware)
- $950 (or priced like Final Cut or Avid DV Express) that includes both LE & iLok Key

I dunno, seems silly for Digi to worry about this crap... even Avid (Digis own Momma no less!)
offers Avid DV Express that works without hardware. What the hell is Digi so afraid of?
Tie it to a hardware key, or continue to bundle it with hardware sales. They're smart enough
to have jumped halfway on the iLok waggon. Time to jump on with both feet!

Sorry for the tangent. Flame away.

HL
Old 10-05-2003, 02:19 PM

The problem with this (and I would like it very much as well btw) is that it would open the doors for many HD users to think about ditching digidesign Hardware alltogether. They would still use the software, but users would have the choice to use Digi hardware or not. At present none of us have a choice

.In a nutshell Digi becomes a Native system. and I cant see them going down this route for a long time,

However, I could see them manufacturing a high quality interface along the lines of Apogees Mini Me and possibly allowing the doors to be opened for VST instruments.

Nevertheless, I would love to be able to carry my laptop around, work on a session and transfer it to my main rig. Dont you just envy all those native users!

Cheers

Old 10-05-2003, 04:49 PM

This will not happen because of piracy.. Ilok's are affective, but not as effective as actually having to buy a piece of digi's hardware.. And, Digi doesn't sell their software seperately, so in paying for hardware, you are also paying for software development..

eric
Old 10-05-2003, 05:44 PM

I think a small USB key sized device, that would have a stereo in/out jack would be excellent. This way, it would still be a piece of Digidesign Hardware and they could charge $100 or $200 for it.

Best regards,
Siegfried Meier