Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2002, 04:29 PM

Default recording vocals?

Hi. Can anyone help me? I'm trying to record vocals for incubus/audiovent style sound and i'm lacking the air, and closeness i need to make them sound great. I'm using a neumann 149 tube mic and i'm running it through my focusrite 430 producer pack straight into pro-tools. i'm trying to bring the vocal out front but nothing seems to work. i've tried recording in the middle of a bedroom or an isolated corner witch i have put foam tiles around the wall building a vocal booth. I've also tried cutting the bass on the EQ and pulling up the higher frequencys witch hepls a little but it's not the sound i'm after. Can anyone recomend anything. Thanks.
Old 10-07-2002, 08:54 AM

Default Re: recording vocals?

I record all vocals W/O EQ or anything between the mic & the digi Mic pre. When I git what I'm after I process it thru a digitech studio vocalist rack unit to get the ambiance I'm after and I've have'nt ben diappointed yet. GL! and keep on trackin. L8er, Axgrindr [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2002, 10:55 AM

My standard practice to give vocals a consistent presence amidst the other tracks is to use frequency-specific compression (via Waves C4 or C1 using the latter's filter section) to compress the area around 3kHz on the vocal and then bring that frequency band up somewhat. Just be careful not to overdo either the compression or the subsequent boost...it takes some fiddling to get it right. Obviously you still have to deal with getting the low and high-frequency components of the vocal sounding consistent, but that area around 3kHz is where a vocal's clarity and intelligibility are found.
Old 10-08-2002, 04:19 AM

You're probably after a simple condenser sound,not valve because valves tend to smooth things and position them a bit into the background.So maybe try using a non-valve mic.