Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2023, 01:21 PM

Default Pro Tools Installation via Avid Link or manually?

Hello,

I'm setting up a new Pro Tools Studio Installation on a fresh system, the question is, should I use Avid Link to download and install Pro Tools or the manual file download installation, which is more reliable?

Also, should I right click install as an administrator, the setup file?

Last edited by atticmike; 06-16-2023 at 01:43 PM.
Old 06-16-2023, 03:09 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Installation via Avid Link or manually?

It is not installing per-se that is an issue with Avid Link. It still invokes the standard installer, it's more all the stuff about downloading the installers, correctly working out if installed software needs to be updated, etc.

Like many users I have no time for buggy unreliable Avid Link, it's been demonstrated too many times to be buggy. It's sadly just badly done. Uninstall it, you are better off manually managing your system. And that's true for many plugin managers, ... Softube's one is broken on macOS for example, and then you get stuff like Toontrack Product Manager that just seems very well done.

No need to run the install as Admin. You should be an Administrator on the computer. Everything you need to know is documented: e.g. https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...s-Installation

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 06-16-2023 at 03:50 PM.
Old 06-20-2023, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
It is not installing per-se that is an issue with Avid Link. It still invokes the standard installer, it's more all the stuff about downloading the installers, correctly working out if installed software needs to be updated, etc.

Like many users I have no time for buggy unreliable Avid Link, it's been demonstrated too many times to be buggy. It's sadly just badly done. Uninstall it, you are better off manually managing your system. And that's true for many plugin managers, ... Softube's one is broken on macOS for example, and then you get stuff like Toontrack Product Manager that just seems very well done.

No need to run the install as Admin. You should be an Administrator on the computer. Everything you need to know is documented: e.g. https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...s-Installation
I gave Avid Link a try and it worked nicely except crashed during the installation of one plugin but it was still installed. I enjoyed that it did it all by itself and actually worked now flawlessly. I guess they improved it greatly.
Old 06-20-2023, 07:11 AM

I've been using Link to update PT and plugins for the last year or so without issue. I think the first few versions tarnished folks opinion of it.

The only problem I'm having is it says I have 2 products to update, but everything is updated.

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM