Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2009, 07:58 AM

Default Lost Communication with device - increase hardware buffer - shouldn't need to.

Hi all,

I'm using what I'd consider a reasonably powerful home user setup.

I have a Macbook Pro 17'' dual core 2.6ghz cpu 4GB ram, 2 x 180GB firewire disk devices (one for recording one for software such as samples) connected to a Digidesign Rack 003

I am using the latest 10.5 Mac software and a fully patched Digi design ProTools 8 setup.

I have Toontrack superior 2 as a drumming engine and one direct input guitar no plugins at this time.

On some occasions I get the famous error "lost connection with digi device, try increasing your hardware buffer size".

To me this seems odd, I've limited my softrware plugins to %85 cpu as suggested by digi design, and the cpu / memory graph is hardly visable it's using that little resource,
my hardware playback buffer is set on "2 default", there is only one option above it that is hight which is "4 3000ms" I find it odd that with so little going on I'd need to use the higher buffer size.

I've added ampeg bass simulation plugins instead of superior 2 drum engine the the problem still appears, it seems to be when I use one plugin ????

I'm not sure how to debug it, but this doesn't seem right for the quality and power of the hardware I'm using
Old 01-27-2009, 08:16 AM

Default Re: Lost Communication with device - increase hardware buffer - shouldn't need to.

I've noticed this in certain situations when the channel get's overloaded

or doesn't have enough gain and cancels out...it's very odd when settings seem to be optimal....

I would make sure you have your gain set to a good, hot level, but not to hot

Say -6 to -8 and keep your hardware buffer at 128 or 256 for recording...

Also crank your cpu usage to 99% you want your cpu to take control of pt as much as possible!
Old 01-27-2009, 08:20 AM

Default Re: Lost Communication with device - increase hardware buffer - shouldn't need to.

Matt,
I have a similar setup and had the same error problems. After weeks of tweaking settings and rereading ALL of the DIGI docs about all things LE, I finally realized that my problems were all heat related. I keep my MBP well ventilated and the temp down and I haven't had any problems since. Hard to believe it was that simple but it worked for me. My 2 cents.
--Fletch
Old 01-27-2009, 08:23 AM

it seems to be in a well "aired" spot, but I'm more than happy to look into this in more detail.

I'll double check my gain setting as that's also worth checking,

cranking the cpu up to %99 doesn't seem to be an issue here as digi advise you to limit your cpu for certain plugins to stop it over running, which is why it's set at %85, but seeing as it's currently not touching %2 I can't see any benifit to running this to %99 at this time.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:58 AM

If the sample drive has USB, I would at least try that to see if it relieves stress on the firewire buss(I admit its a stretch but what the hey). Also, are you running 10.5.5 or 10.5.6? It looks like .5 might be a little more stable(but its open for debate).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-27-2009, 09:18 AM

You might want to connect your firwire drives directly to computer as well as your 003 rack....

It sounds to me like you might be daisychaining from your 003 to your drives back to your computer....

If so, I heard from somwhere not to do this....

Try connecting the 003 directly to your computer as well as all other external
devices....
Old 01-27-2009, 09:37 AM

the macbook pro only has one firewire connector, so it is not possible to connect the disks to the mac book and the rack 003 to the macbook on seperate connectors, hence the need to daisy chain, I have them connected in the digi recommended manner though.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:50 AM

Then you might want to try connecting the 003 directlly....

Then, using your second firewire connection on the back
of your 003, and daisy chain your drives that way...

In my guess, it would help you to have your 003 rack going straight into your computer, from what i've read...I'm not sure where you got that info, if from digi then I would keep it the way they told you based on the fact that you only have one firewire port on your computer....
Old 01-27-2009, 10:03 AM

I've used usb connections and they haven't worked out for me performance wise...

You can try connecting that way but you'll notice a decrease in data transfer speed

I'd definetly keep with your firewire connections
Old 01-27-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Darcy View Post
(one for recording one for software such as samples) connected to a Digidesign Rack 003
Maybe I'm reading this wrong. I think the recommended way to connect the daisy chained firewire devices is as follows:

Computer <--> Firewire Hard Drive <--> Digi003

From the way it is stated in the quote above, it sounds like you are connecting:

Computer <--> Digi003 <--> Firewire Hard Drive

I don't know if this will solve your problem but that is what Digidesign recommends. If I am misinterpreting your setup, please forgive me. In that case, you might try swapping out the firewire cables as they are know to go bad without any physical damage.

Good luck

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1