Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2014, 07:31 PM

Default Pitch Envelope (ADSR)

Is there anyway in Pro Tools (I also have the Air IE Pack) to tweak the pitch envelope of a sample?

I dont mean to adjust the pitch as a whole. I'm talking about setting your pitch to +48 Semi tones(for example) then adjusting the attack, decay, sus, release.. of that pitch envelope so when the pitch comes in it will start higher off the attack then decay down.
Specifically for drum processing.

Ex.) When an acoustic kick drum beater hits the kick drum the skin tightens and the pitch is somewhat higher, until it gradually goes down after the skin loosens back up. I want to emulate this on an electronic drum sample so I can process my own drums rather than relying on a good sample starting point.

Watching "Designing Electronic Drums" on groove 3 right now and its hosted in Ableton where a pitch envelope is easily accessible. But I dont ever remember seeing one in Pro Tools. Its amazing how much he changed the sound of the weak kick he had to a better one simply by starting off with the pitch envelope.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:10 AM

Default Re: Pitch Envelope (ADSR)

Most samplers should do it providing they allow you to import a sample.

What will be more difficult is if you need your pitch envelope to be in sync with the track. I don't know of a sampler that allows you to do that. So it will take a bit of fiddling to get your timing right. That assuming it's something you need to do.

Have you thought of using a plug in like Waves Tune or Soundshifter in conjunction with some automation to achieve the effect you want??

Or do you need something playable??