Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2013, 04:41 PM

Default I/O Please..

I have 3rd Gen Avid MBox Pro. It has four (4) tangable Instrument inputs. To get a studio Stereo Bounce is it Necesary to have Both My Keyboards RIght/mono Output & Left going via 1/4" to the 1 & 2 of my Protools Avid MBox Pro usinf PT 11.02 ? Will I get the same stereo content from just using The Left (mono input directly into the #1 Input in my MBox via 1 1/4" cable? I am also really confused. I was under the impression the 3rd gen avid Mbox pro has 5 Speaker outputs. If Protools 11 can't do surround sound what is the sense of having all those monitors. Even if i had PT HDX my interface would not cut it. I was kind of misled to beleiving the mbox could do 5.1 surround sound (ss 5.1)
Avid used to sell a bundle that added a ss 5.1 feature but i heard not any more. is ther another plugin that would alow me to do a ss 5.1 mix down & actually direct sounds where i want them to go. in real time. im just dreaming. Thanks in advance for any help
Old 11-17-2013, 05:16 PM

Default Re: I/O Please..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcirrone View Post
I have 3rd Gen Avid MBox Pro. It has four (4) tangable Instrument inputs. To get a studio Stereo Bounce is it Necesary to have Both My Keyboards RIght/mono Output & Left going via 1/4" to the 1 & 2 of my Protools Avid MBox Pro usinf PT 11.02 ? Will I get the same stereo content from just using The Left (mono input directly into the #1 Input in my MBox via 1 1/4" cable? I am also really confused. I was under the impression the 3rd gen avid Mbox pro has 5 Speaker outputs. If Protools 11 can't do surround sound what is the sense of having all those monitors. Even if i had PT HDX my interface would not cut it. I was kind of misled to beleiving the mbox could do 5.1 surround sound (ss 5.1)
Avid used to sell a bundle that added a ss 5.1 feature but i heard not any more. is ther another plugin that would alow me to do a ss 5.1 mix down & actually direct sounds where i want them to go. in real time. im just dreaming. Thanks in advance for any help
Let me attempt to offer some insight here as your post is confusing at best. How do you expect to get stereo anything, by using a single output of the keyboard to a single input of any interface? Stereo requires left AND right. Are you wanting to work in surround or is stereo fine? Having extra outputs means that you can route, let's say, a custom headphone mix for a performer, or maybe route audio from a session to an external piece if hardware, process it and return it into the session.

If you had HDX, you would also have HD IO connections, which DO support surround. If you had/have HD software, then you COULD do surround with ANY interface that has the required 6 outputs.

You are correct that the CPTK(which brought surround capability to non-HD users) is no longer available. But you can purchase HD software on the second-hand market if surround is something you need(or do what some folks do by purchasing an HD package, keeping the software, and selling the hardware). Or you could consider another DAW that includes it(Pro Tools is only 1 of many options for this).

Not sure if any of this is helping, but maybe it will guide you to realizing what you CAN do, and how to ask for what you HOPE to do.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-17-2013, 07:42 PM

The Mbox Pro does accomodate surround output. But the Protools software does not anymore. The Mbox Pro came out a few years ago, and you could use the Complete Toolkit in Protools 8, 9, and 10 to do surround. But now with PT11, that feature has been taken away from the software and can only be had by getting HD software, which is only sold with HD hardware systems.

You could still use the Mbox Pro to do surround with other software such as Nuendo.
Old 11-17-2014, 02:03 PM

Thank you guys, sorry sometimes I confuse myself. yes I just wanted the surround sound capability not something that's so important. as for Daves reply Thank you. I thought that pt could take one external sound source in put & make it stereo. I am new to all this so I thank you for taking the time & not ripping me a new one I am learning. Have a good day gentleman
kind regards
john
Old 11-17-2014, 03:36 PM

Learning here too...STILL Never stop!

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave