Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2011, 02:43 PM

Default More that 1 computer using PT 9?

I have PT8 LE (Mbox pro) on one computer now. I'd like to upgrade to PT9 as well at this point (crossgrade). BUT, I just bought a laptop and I'd like to be able to use PT on this as well. As of now if I add PT8 on my laptop I'd have to unplug my Mbox pro and use it on my laptop (hassle...). Now if I did the crossgrade on my original computer and added PT9 could I also add this to my laptop as well without using the Mbox? I see that PT9 doesn't need an audio interface anymore and I could just use the laptops' core audio from what I read at least. Any definite answer would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:47 PM

Default Re: More that 1 computer using PT 9?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJJ View Post
I have PT8 LE (Mbox pro) on one computer now. I'd like to upgrade to PT9 as well at this point (crossgrade). BUT, I just bought a laptop and I'd like to be able to use PT on this as well. As of now if I add PT8 on my laptop I'd have to unplug my Mbox pro and use it on my laptop (hassle...). Now if I did the crossgrade on my original computer and added PT9 could I also add this to my laptop as well without using the Mbox? I see that PT9 doesn't need an audio interface anymore and I could just use the laptops' core audio from what I read at least. Any definite answer would be greatly appreciated.
If you have a Macbook, PT9 will utilize coreaudio and be able to output through the onboard speakers without the mbox. You will, however need to have an iLok plugged in with a PT9 license.

A windows laptop may work with ASIO4all.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 03-28-2011, 03:04 PM

The laptop I have is a macbook pro. So basically would I have to install PT8 on my macbook pro 1st? Or would I just purchase the crossgrade for my original Imac running PT8 and then upgrade both to PT9? From there I'd just have to transfer my Ilok back and forth correct?
Old 03-28-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJJ View Post
The laptop I have is a macbook pro. So basically would I have to install PT8 on my macbook pro 1st? Or would I just purchase the crossgrade for my original Imac running PT8 and then upgrade both to PT9? From there I'd just have to transfer my Ilok back and forth correct?
Purchase the upgrade, then install the 9.0.1 full installer from your digi account, and sync you Ilok on your macbook. I just upgraded my Imac which only supports 4gigs according to Apple, but OWC has a purchase option where it can have 6gigs, which is working wonders for me, Thanks for the info DISM on the 6gigs.