Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 03-13-2007, 09:58 AM

Default working in PAL?

Hello all post peeple ~

I have never worked in PAL before, but since I have a USD, and my DA88 can be set to 25 fps, presumably it would work fine. I am using PT 6.4.1. Any caveats or hangups about working in PAL I should know about? If I was using a PAL 25x quicktime, obviously my NTSC gear wouldn't be able to handle it, but presumably the image would still show up on my mac screens. Any advice appreciated.

regards

c-post
Old 03-13-2007, 10:24 AM

Default Re: working in PAL?

Just display your Quicktime on an LCD computer monitor rather than your NTSC TV and run a syncheck over it, put the video offset into ProTools and you are sorted.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:38 AM

Default Re: working in PAL?

I work in both worlds of NTSC and PAL. Protools can certainly handle them both. Recently I have been using PT 7 and the mojo. Quicktimes do show up on the Mac monitor if that is what you want. They also play thru the Mojo. The relevant settings that need a look over are in the Sessin Setup dialog. The Video Format should switch automatically to match whatever type of video is in the timeline. The Timecode rate can be set to 25FPS.

I have not had any problems referencing NTSC black (via a SYNC I/O) while working with a PAL video, but I have sometimes switched to Internal clock so that things seem more intuitive, although then the DA88 needs to reference Word clock...

But through it all remember that a sample is a sample and will play back at whatever the sample rate is set to. And the sample rate gets its speed source from Black or internal or another reference.

Have Fun.

On another note, I can not remember how to switch the MOJO back to NTSC after a PAL protools session. The MOJO just outputs black and white. Ideas anyone?

It was actually the video monitor that would not switch back to NTSC after "auto sensing" a pal signal. But I changed it in the monitor setup and it now works.