Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)

Old 12-24-2008, 02:49 AM

Default Re: anyway to avoid the creation of folders by digi on all my drives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logic Pro View Post
Its very generic and rude, why not invisible folders¿
all these "Digidesign Databases" folders on all my drives is annoying, anyway to prevent this from happening?
How about THIS for a simple answer: No. There's no way to prevent it from happening, and no amount of whining and sniping is going to make the answer any different.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:41 AM

jeez, wheres the love? Its christmas! Were talking about a few lousy folders here and there, just delete them. It really isnt that big a deal is it? You guys are ready to kill each other over FREEGIN FILE FOLDERS!!! There are kids dying of cancer with REAL problems, put this in perspective.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:10 PM
Avid

Just wanted to let everyone know that, yes, we're aware of the problem with Pro Tools creating database folders on other media that wouldn't be used for Pro Tools purposes and we're looking at ways to work around that.

As mentioned above - we could make these invisible, but it would make trashing them, in the case of problems, difficult.

FWIW - other applications (Logic, for instance) create database folders as well - they just use a master database, rather than one on a drive by drive basis. We thought our method would be better since many people take their drives from system to system and, with large drives, creating a new database every time could take time. With them on the drive, it's pretty much plug and play.

We do value your feedback on this and are always looking for ways to improve things.
Old 12-26-2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingustoo View Post
Hey Logic Pro...switch to decaf ! One can only wonder what type of logic 'PRO' goes around insulting people on forums. That's no way to get help. Get a life already!
Peace and happy holidays,

THANKS FOR YOUR POST DIGI :) shows you guys do not compromise quality support to users.

As for the Pro digi users who argued over opinions to this, some of you guys, some, are very helpful to others here, this is always appreciated, but are you debating or arguing about a topic you "don't" have or can answer to?

Insulting me and anyone else for there opinions only proves your intolerant and behaving like the TALIBANS of Pro Tools, let it go already, it is TROLLING to intervene and argue with your opinion about a matter beyond you, we respect all the knowledge and love you put into supporting others who need help here but the fact with this one is when these folders are on none digi drives they intervene with our work flow and this is something many users notice and something only digi can address., whether you accept it as it is or not that others who use removable media are annoyed by it is your own opinion and not a valid solution, example: walking over to a computer while in session with a USB stick to copy soemthing (mp3 mixdown, audio files etc) and discovering that that USB stick can not be ejected because of some Database folders Pro Tools created is really not cool., some times it can even cause kernal panics to pull a drives out like that.

i am very sorry you feel the way you do but all i can say is try to enjoy your holidays, for the rest of us who can not stand these folders, i feel good that some digi admin responded and cares!
Old 12-26-2008, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Peace and happy holidays,

THANKS FOR YOUR POST DIGI :) shows you guys do not compromise quality support to users.

As for the Pro digi users who argued over opinions to this, some of you guys, some, are very helpful to others here, this is always appreciated, but are you debating or arguing about a topic you "don't" have or can answer to?

Insulting me and anyone else for there opinions only proves your intolerant and behaving like the TALIBANS of Pro Tools, let it go already, it is TROLLING to intervene and argue with your opinion about a matter beyond you, the fact that the database concept which creates folders on none digi drives intervenes with our work flow is something all users notice and only digi can address.

i am very sorry you feel the way you do but all i can say is try to enjoy your holidays, for the rest of us who can not stand these folders, i feel good that some digi admin responded and cares!
Figured I'd better quote this one too before you find the edit button again.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:21 PM

taliban of PT?
Old 12-27-2008, 04:13 PM

We're not the Taliban, we're just the Alsihadin.

Dude, I was arguing ON YOUR SIDE and you insulted me for using a three syllable word. It might be time to switch to half-decaf.

Cheers,
Angelo Quaglia
Old 12-27-2008, 04:57 PM

perhaps I missed the bus on this one
Old 12-27-2008, 06:15 PM

Quote:
walking over to a computer while in session with a USB stick to copy soemthing (mp3 mixdown, audio files etc) and discovering that that USB stick can not be ejected because of some Database folders Pro Tools created is really not cool., some times it can even cause kernal panics to pull a drives out like that.
Save session
Quit ProTools
Eject disk

Simple. Pulling the plug on a mounted volume with files that are in use is not a good idea if you care about the integrity of your data. This is computing 101. It goes for more than just PT. I'm sorry you find this inconvenient, but this is how it works.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:41 AM

Talking Re: anyway to avoid the creation of folders by digi on all my drives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris110000100101001 View Post
Even easier, got to the Workspaces window. Right-click on the drive and select "unmount".

Sheesh, it's just a folder. On a disc drive. It's not a particularly major drama in my life right now.
why not let digi do there job and handle this guys, stop acting like a bunch if bigots when people suggest things that are new, and don't tell me you where arguing on my side, once a digi sessions starts there is not way to eject the drives, even after quitting pro tools (on certain computers in fact) so ranting n as if your defending digi for a bug or flaw like this is not a answer but more less proof that no matter how much you help others here or know your still geeks and need to get out for some air !

haha lol

hope u did not hurt your feelings now., sometimes the truth is enough, drop it and go help some one stuck with something more complicated make yourselves USEFUL!