Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 01-18-2013, 02:11 PM

Default Audio through one Ear

This is a fairly common problem through protools, however I've been running a blog channel on youtube using my AT2020 attached to the mbox 2 mini to record my chatter. My system befell misfortune and I was forced to reformat and install windows 7 64 bit last evening. I'm using the mbox 2 mini as a basic interface just to use the AT2020 as a default recording device in windows.

A peculiar problem has arisen, however, that didn't exist before the reformat. Audio is only being recorded through the left channel. The whole thing worked straight out of the box before the reformat, so I'm puzzled as to why this would be occurring now. I've made sure all the settings are identical, reconnected every wire and cable, and checked several different sets of speakers and headphones.

Everything in Windows appears to be spotless, and so I've come to wonder if there's some issue with the mbox that I'm unaware of, or some setting that I'm overlooking. Any help with this issue would be tremendously appreciated as I am restricted to a recording schedule atm. Once again, it was working fantastically before the format plug and chug, now it isn't.

Cheers!

Last edited by SplatterCat; 01-18-2013 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 01-18-2013, 02:56 PM

Default Audio through one Ear

Are recording mono or stereo tracks. If you record a stereo track using only your mic, it will only record one side.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:09 PM

Default Re: Audio through one Ear

I'm not using the mbox with protools, only in windows. There are no tracks to enable because I'm using it for video blogging which captures straight from the mbox. This is not a protools issue, it's a windows making trouble with my mbox problem. Plugging into the headphone jack on the mbox sounds great, it's coming through both ears of the headphones, however the moment I try to take the signal from the mbox and run it through the speakers in my windows playback devices I get the one ear problem.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:57 PM

Maybe Windows is only accepting a stereo signal? Get an xlr "y" cable to feed you mic to both inPuts.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-20-2013, 01:59 PM

I had the same thought, however when I plug in through both inputs all I get is deafening feedback. Not sure how, but since everything through the mbox has been fuzzy and white noisy, I hope it didn't brick it. I started using a DAW to convert the single ear audio into a mono track, but it's still a bit cumbersome as now I have to sync the audio with the video in post. It's not a huge problem, it's just more work than I had to do previously.