Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2012, 01:31 PM

Default Monitoring input and track during playback

Hi,
I record vo very often and always faced to a problem: the talent record a track and then wants to listen what he just did, but when I playback, very often, he says things that I cannot monitor as the track is playing and therefore the input is not available.
Is there s a way to achieve this : monitor both the input and the content of a track when playing back?
Thxs in advance
Simon
Old 09-24-2012, 01:45 PM

Default Re: Monitoring input and track during playback

Create an auxiliary input that is also being fed by the mic. Mute that when you record, unmute on playback.

Living the dream.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonyeah View Post
Hi,
I record vo very often and always faced to a problem: the talent record a track and then wants to listen what he just did, but when I playback, very often, he says things that I cannot monitor as the track is playing and therefore the input is not available.
Is there s a way to achieve this : monitor both the input and the content of a track when playing back?
Thxs in advance
Simon
I always habe two tracks when I record vo. First track named "first name.01", the second track right underneath named "sur name.01". Before the vo comes I make sure I have plenty of playlists for the surname track and maybe about 8 for the firstname track.

I record the vo to the surname track, each take a playlist. This track stays Input only throughout the recording time. Whenever the vo or client want to hear a take I pull it up to the first name track. For the next recording I change the first name playlist to .02. This way, I can keep track which takes have been listened to. And I can edit vocal takes straight away during recording, without having to change the input monitoring mode. Punching in is easy as well, as the playback take doesn't sit on the record-armed track. So I don't have to change the recording mode.
Hope this helps,
Timothy
Old 09-24-2012, 01:50 PM

Lots of ways to do this. Here is one. Instead of using his mic as the input to the recording audio track, bring it into Pro Tools on an Aux Input. Then send it to the recording audio track pre-fade. I'll usually keep the Aux muted until I need to playback and hear like (like in the scenario you are describing) Hope this helps. Good Luck
Old 09-24-2012, 02:06 PM

Great thanks for your tips.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:07 PM

http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home...ng-issues.html

and a pulg for doing automatically

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig