Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 10-24-2012, 01:10 PM

Default Re: We need a Thunderbolt HDX system

I have a Thunderbolt HDX system and it's awesome!
Old 10-30-2012, 02:06 PM

Arrow Re: We need a Thunderbolt HDX system

Many were expecting much more then what was released,,,,,,,

Quote:
think walking into any studio with your lap with all your prefs pplugd and templates etc is VERY appealing. I love the idea of HDX in a thunderbolt chassis
Yep, right on target
Old 12-11-2012, 01:29 PM

I think the OP is right on and is probably what Avid is looking to implement in the not so distant future.

Basically an HD I/O with the HDX card inside and a TB port.

Simple, effective, elegant.

I'm not buying an HDX card, Magma Chassis, HD IO etc....but I would buy the All In One HD solution in a HEARTBEAT.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verve111 View Post

Simple, effective, elegant.

I'm not buying an HDX card, Magma Chassis, HD IO etc....but I would buy the All In One HD solution in a HEARTBEAT.
Yeah...that would be sweet!

iMac27 i9 3.6 (late 2019) / 64 GB Ram / OS 10.15.7
Apollo 8 / PT Ultimate 2020.9.1
Old 12-31-2012, 07:51 AM

If I could have something comparable to an HD3 system that's portable, that would be ULTIMATE for the way I work....I just got an HD system in my studio for mixdowns but I spend TONS of time in my home working on parts in my Macbook Pro/Venom setup....I can also take the MacBook Pro/Mbox Pro setup to my friends house to record his guitar parts or whatever parts really....Ultimately I'm going to dump all that stuff over to the HD system so I have enough power to mix it all down but if I had a system like your talking about, I could simply take it out to the studio, plug it directly into my listening environment and start the mixdown....You could even have a rough mix ready before you set down in your listening environment to make final adjustments.....I agree it would be the best of both worlds....moon
Old 05-07-2013, 07:21 PM

OK, so it's been a while since I last posted. It seems like Avid is now pointing itself towards laptop solutions, and maybe a few of you who were singing the praises 6 months ago about the power of the Towers aren't so sure anymore. I've said before - it's not like I do anything different than anyone else, I just sometimes get there first. So how about it? Give me a one-plug, one box Avid HDX Thunderbolt solution. Let the options come in several flavors based on DSP and I/O. Let it be in one box, one thunderbolt to the laptop. All of my audio connections to the one box, portable that I can use with just my retina display or my 3 display setup in my studio. Are we getting near ready yet?!
Old 05-07-2013, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
And these will be the solution for the foreseeable future.
I seriously doubt that, Avid understands the value of this, which is why they came out with HDN thunderbolt. Why in the world would they not want a piece of that pie, especially considering the fate of the MACPRO today? IF they do not address this, they are crazy, and I don't think they are.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 05-07-2013, 11:39 PM

You're quoting a statement I made 10 months ago. The foreseeable future has come and gone.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 05-14-2013, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verve111 View Post
That would be very limiting because you would not be able to have a different interface if you want.
Now you pick any interface you want Avid/Apogee/Lynx
Buy a rack and put it all in one rack.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:31 AM

i've been advocating an external DSP box to replace the TDM cards since early 2010. (long before the HDX cards were launched.)

there's a list of good reasons why giant PCI cards (which are going the way of the dodo bird soon), and antiquated DSP chips should have been abandoned before the HDX transition. neither of these two choices were logical from a technology perspective.

unfortunately, there's also a list of good reasons why HDX appeared in the format it did. and they all make perfect sense from a dollars and cents business perspective.

in avid's defence on the clunky "card" front, don't forget that still to this day, there is no replacement for the Mac Pro, and the latest available models don't have thunderbolt. avid's HD products are aimed at professional facilities, none of whom are running their systems on TB equipped laptops! (and very few running windows machines!) so at least avid has a good excuse on that point.

IMO there's no excuses for the dinosaur DSP chips though. to me it's akin to selling day-olds as freshly baked...

YMMV