Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2015, 05:37 PM

Default Adjusting Volume Midi Notes when Editiing

Is there any way to adjust the output of the midi notes when selected when editing them? I will be working on a delicate string track, and go to select them all to adjust the velocity, and they audition at full 127 volume... it's a shock to the system and my computer and my monitors. Anyone know if there is a way to adjust this? I don't want to turn off the midi audition, just turn that sucker down a bit.

thnx
Old 10-28-2015, 06:58 PM

Default Re: Adjusting Volume Midi Notes when Editiing

I try to remember to select one note for starts then Control-click (Windows) & drag the mouse/pointer up or down over the selected note to find the velocity I want for the whole group.
Although, I still like to lower the master/monitor volume or instrument fader for starts.
I do not know of a way to adjust the "play MIDI notes when editing" level except for the default velocity for note entry.

Check out the section about adjusting MIDI Real Time Properties during playback in the PT Ref manual starting second half of page 659.
Hope that helps.

Last edited by take77; 10-29-2015 at 03:31 PM.
Old 10-29-2015, 03:34 PM

Hello again.
Just letting you know I made my post a bit more concise and hopefully more useful.
Old 10-30-2015, 04:05 AM

Hi
it seems that since PT12 the link to VIs realtime MIDI volume and panning (track fader) is broken. It works only in automated playback………
This used to work since the beginning of MIDI implementation, and of course is standard in any other DAW with MIDI.

I hope AVID is listening and fixing soon!
Old 11-13-2017, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallwatson View Post
Is there any way to adjust the output of the midi notes when selected when editing them? I will be working on a delicate string track, and go to select them all to adjust the velocity, and they audition at full 127 volume... it's a shock to the system and my computer and my monitors. Anyone know if there is a way to adjust this? I don't want to turn off the midi audition, just turn that sucker down a bit.

thnx
Was trying to Google a solution and found this thread. The exact type of situation you describe has been driving me crazy lately.

Is there still no way to change the default volume of the "Play MIDI Notes When Editing" feature?

I checked the latest 12.8.2 manual and I don't see any options other than to toggle it on/off.

I'm surprised there aren't more complaints about it. Any software with a "preview" feature generally allows you to change the volume of the preview.

I really hope this is addressed eventually. Would be interested to hear if anyone has found any good workarounds.
Old 04-15-2020, 07:56 AM

Coming back to PT after a 18 yr break in DP. Yes, my midi audition is extremely loud. Wow, this could be a problem or even endanger speakers/ears. Maybe Ill ask customer support, a fix is sorrel needed.