Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 05-21-2020, 06:51 AM

Default MBox 2 Pro and Pro Tools LE 8

I am attempting to use my MBox again due to some requirements for a recording project I'm collaborating on. I installed Pro Tools LE 8.0 for Windows and hooked up my MBox 2 Pro to my Windows 10 laptop. No luck so far:

1. The green power light on the MBox is blinking vs. a steady on. Does this indicate some kind of hardware problem? Or is this normal?

2. Pro Tools starts, looks for plug-ins then abruptly quits. I assume it's because it cannot communicate with the MBox, but...

3. I'm connecting the MBox using a Firewire cable and a Firewire to USB converter. Maybe the converter is not working? Are there any people out there using an MBox with Windows? What converter do you use for Firewire?

Anyone have experience getting this configuration to work on Windows 10?
Old 05-21-2020, 08:02 AM

Default Re: MBox 2 Pro and Pro Tools LE 8

PT8 and Win10 is very much not compatible. I don't think you'll ever get that to work. I think you must have at least PT11 for Win10.
Also Mbox 2nd gen is very old now.
I think your best bet is to get yourself an older PC with Win7 and firewire.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:29 AM

You need 8.05 for Windows 7. Firewire to USB, very, very doubtful that will work.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 05-21-2020, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
Firewire to USB, very, very doubtful that will work.
Even more doubtful if you don't have the wall wart power supply. With a traditional(and compatible) Firewire port, the Mbox also gets power from that. To date, I have never heard of anybody actually getting firewire>USB adpaters to work with any audio interface. FWIW, I did have the Mbox 2 Pro working on a Windows 10 machine(over a year ago) with PT12.4

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-21-2020, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Even more doubtful if you don't have the wall wart power supply. With a traditional(and compatible) Firewire port, the Mbox also gets power from that. To date, I have never heard of anybody actually getting firewire>USB adpaters to work with any audio interface. FWIW, I did have the Mbox 2 Pro working on a Windows 10 machine(over a year ago) with PT12.4
Thanks for this. You've confirmed my route: I'm going to just downgrade the OS on my Mac and do this there. Doesn't matter cause the machine isn't being used for anything else. Let's see...
Old 05-21-2020, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdvalve View Post
Thanks for this. You've confirmed my route: I'm going to just downgrade the OS on my Mac and do this there. Doesn't matter cause the machine isn't being used for anything else. Let's see...
So, you have a mac!
Then, you'll have to be careful to have matching versions of PT & OS there also. I'm not shure, but I think we're talking OSX 10.4 for PT 8.0 LE, or thereabouts.