Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2019, 04:09 PM

Default Midi Editor Question

How does one either 1. not show the little attack dot with the attack info in midi editor, or 2. edit such that the dot moves with everything else ie slides right left, up down with the rest of the midi. Right now there are three pieces of info showing on each midi note. Is there a way to combine them all into one, easily editable line? I'm talking about the attack dot on the actual editor, not the velocity lane.

Last edited by eph221; 01-05-2019 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:44 PM

Default Re: Midi Editor Question

Can someone please help me with this. I realize it must be something really simple, but it's driving me crazy. Each midi note in midi editor has an extra dot at the beginning which I assume is attack data. How in the world can I get it to move with the sustain info when I'm using grabber or pencil tool. It's annoying as hell.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:55 PM

Can you post a pic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-05-2019, 10:26 PM

As you see there are little dots that remain after edits
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (49.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-06-2019, 02:07 AM

Aren’t they just midi notes? Short ones.

Have you played this midi in or drawn it in?

Either way, if you select them, they can be deleted or moved in conjunction wth the other stuff.

Unless I’m missing something, I’m not sure I follow the problem.

Old 01-06-2019, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
Aren’t they just midi notes? Short ones.

Have you played this midi in or drawn it in?

Either way, if you select them, they can be deleted or moved in conjunction with the other stuff.

Unless I’m missing something, I’m not sure I follow the problem.

MIDI notes are the only things that will show in that part of the editor screen. They could be notes the op accidently hit on the keyboard (like maybe resting his hands lightly on it) or even key bounce from a piano-action keyboard. Or even MIDI echo.

QAPLA!
Old 01-06-2019, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eph221 View Post
As you see there are little dots that remain after edits
I am only midi functional, and by no means any kind of expert, that said:
If by "attack data " you mean attack velocity data, as someone said that does not show in the edit field, it is shown just below the edit field on its own separate lane and is little pointed dot and post, arrow shaped icons ,

BUT If I am understanding what you mean by "remain after edit" And what you mean you are deleting or moving a midi note and the little dot remains ..... THEN I am guessing that possibly you are inadvertently triggering double midi notes (or they might be called ghost notes), on the original note input (I believe there are several past threads about ) But I do not remember the specific cause or fix, but you might search using those terms as search criteria

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 01-06-2019 at 07:41 AM.
Old 01-06-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
I am only midi functional, and by no means any kind of expert, that said:
If by "attack data " you mean attack velocity data, as someone said that does not show in the edit field, it is shown just below the edit field on its own separate lane and is little pointed dot and post, arrow shaped icons ,

BUT If I am understanding what you mean by "remain after edit" And what you mean you are deleting or moving a midi note and the little dot remains ..... THEN I am guessing that possibly you are inadvertently triggering double midi notes (or they might be called ghost notes), on the original note input (I believe there are several past threads about ) But I do not remember the specific cause or fix, but you might search using those terms as search criteria
What you talk about in the last paragraph is sometimes called MIDI echo where a keyboard has both the MIDI out and in connected to the computer AND local on is enabled in the keyboard. More easily understood as a feedback loop. The usual remedy is to disable local on on the keyboard. The other remedy is if the keyboard is JUST a keyboard and makes no sound on it's own is to remove the MIDI out cable from the computer back to the keyboard. That way there's no return path to retrigger notes.

QAPLA!
Old 01-06-2019, 09:19 AM

jack's remedy is the closest to the real problem. If no one else is experiencing this then what's happening is my keyboard is producing two notes for every time I play, one really short one at the beginning of each note and one long one. So I'm glad that this is uncommon. I'll try jack's remedy first.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eph221 View Post
jack's remedy is the closest to the real problem. If no one else is experiencing this then what's happening is my keyboard is producing two notes for every time I play, one really short one at the beginning of each note and one long one. So I'm glad that this is uncommon. I'll try jack's remedy first.
Hope it works out for you.

MIDI can be a bit weird at times where it's not straightforward. Somewheres around here I have an old book that deals with nothing but MIDI. Couple hundred pages as I remember. It can be that complex especially when one gets into the finer points of the operation.

QAPLA!