Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 10-22-2011, 08:25 PM

Default How to normalize?

Hey guys so when i had adobe audition 3.0 I was able to export my track and then normalize so the peak decibal doesnt distort when you hear the track at a high volume. So i was wondering what is the equivelent of that in PT9.
Thanks
Old 10-23-2011, 06:19 PM

Default Re: How to normalize?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabbar3 View Post
Hey guys so when i had adobe audition 3.0 I was able to export my track and then normalize so the peak decibal doesnt distort when you hear the track at a high volume. So i was wondering what is the equivelent of that in PT9.
Thanks
Normalize is a simple function that exists in most every DAW. It doesn't actually prevent distortion. It simply sets the volume of an audio file to a percentage of the available maximum level(with 100% being -0 DBfs). Personally, I rarely use it. If I need to raise the volume of a file, I prefer to analyze it(to see how high it peaks) and adjust the GAIN as I see fit(which I do in WaveLab). For music that will go to CD, adjusting volume is really one the many aspects of mastering, and I will leave that to the mastering engineer, if the project will budget for it(always my preference). If I am producing a low budget project and want it to sound "competitive" in the volume department, I will use mastering limiters, which can make for much louder than Normalizing can do(but can also destroy any dynamics if overdone). Google the term(or any of these terms) for much more, and likely better info.

Keep in mind that 100% in theory looks like a "no-brainer", but in reality, it can clip other things, like random CD players if you burn a CD with audio set to use all 100% of the available level(why I always set my output ceiling to -.02 when I set mastering limiters).

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-30-2011, 05:50 PM

thanks man I will def google the terms
Old 11-01-2011, 08:48 AM

Shabbar it's really simple. Don't EVER do it. While you're on google, search for 'loudness wars'. Normalizing is the worst feature if you have any dynamics whatsoever. If you don't or you're just trying to normalize one track like the kick I can understand that, but beware!!! Normalizing will destoy dynamics.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabbar3 View Post
Thanks
There's an audiosuite plugin called Normalize with every system
Old 11-01-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguyver View Post
Shabbar it's really simple. Don't EVER do it. While you're on google, search for 'loudness wars'. Normalizing is the worst feature if you have any dynamics whatsoever. If you don't or you're just trying to normalize one track like the kick I can understand that, but beware!!! Normalizing will destoy dynamics.
This isn't entirely accurate. The dynamics of a track will remain intact with normalization, it's just the overall level of them will be boosted. Dynamic range will change with compressors and limiters.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:39 PM

Wink Re: How to normalize?

Gotta love when someone tells you that you're wrong and at the same time demonstrate they have no clue what the hell they are talking about.

Normalizing takes an audio amplitude and raises it to the given decibel setting. So if your bass drum had a range of 24 db to 80 db, you'd have a range of 56 db. If you normalized the track to 50 db as the lowest level, guess what?!!!! You just lost 26 db of dynamic range!!! Anything played at 24 db sounds as loud as something played at 48 db.

So if you'd like to argue that I don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to normalizing destroying dynamics, you should probably be a bit more educated on the subject, 'sir'.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:19 PM

Gotta love when people create forum accounts just to create arguments and post condescending remarks. I never said you didn't know what you were talking about, but go ahead and keep putting words in people's mouths. .....glad I could get some education from a student All I'm going to say is that the dynamic range is proportionally the same as it was before normalization. IOW, the range between the quietest and loudest part of the track is going to be the same, just boosted whatever amount you normalized to. If someone who is actually a professional (not a student) and has more than 5 posts here would like to clarify this, I'd be happy to hear.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:15 PM

ouch .....I feel some tension in the forum.

That was awkward
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.