Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 10-18-2004, 09:18 AM

Default Best way to normalize

I'm wondering what the best way is to normalize my audio. I work almost 100% with voice over kinds of stuff and I find that sometimes levels will be very different. I'm combining clips of kids, adults, and groups and i'm wondering the best way to take all these different audio clips and make sure that they're at about the same level so it doesn't sound bad when the whole product is played back. When I'm recording I try to get everything at about the same level but it doesn't all work out that way. Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 10-18-2004, 06:20 PM

Default Re: Best way to normalize

My suggestion would be to not normalize unless the waveforms are way out of proportion to one another. To accomplish what I think you're asking, try putting each different soundbite on a separate track (don't have any music beds or effects running at this point), then listen - adjust the volume of each track so that the levels you hear are all in proportion to one another, regardless of whether or not they all display the same readings on your meters - making sure, of course, that your meters aren't running in the red. Then you can go ahead and bring up the music and keep it as high or low as you have to to be able to hear every word each voice says - the on-air processing will take it from there. This doesn't seem to make sense to a lot of radio and TV audio people (I'm one, so I know), but the sound is more natural, and it doesn't get beaten up as badly by the processing, IMHO.