Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2019, 03:07 PM

Default Printed Pops/Errors On Offline Bounce

Ok... my thread on this got closed because some crazy board member was having a personal feud in there. Gonna repost it if that's cool since I would love help figuring this out from normal adults. Mods, if you need to just mute the guy if he comes back please. Thanks!

FTR Sardi if you see this, you were 100% right and you read my posts accurately, ignore that guy. However the suggestions you made while good ones were things I had already tried! And I had given plenty of tail past the natural decay as was that other **ehem* "gentleman's" idea. His Commit idea may be valid but it's irrelevant because I need to print my verb (on returns) on these stems which Commit doesn't do (unless there's a way to do that I didn't know about?) Anyway here's the original post for anyone else.

Getting seriously jammed up bouncing stems out live right now...

For some reason when I bounce offline at the very end of the export I'm getting a pop at the end of the bounce that gets printed at the TOP of the audio file.

It sounds like the kind of pop you get from on a verb plugin when you stop playback in the middle of a clip(s).

-PT v. 2019.10.0
-Windows 10, 64-bit
-Saffire Pro 40
w/ a 1024 buffer size (I had raised it incrementally from 256 as an attempt to fix the issue)
-The verbs/delays (since I'm wondering if that's the culprit) are 3x Altiverb returns and 1x Echoboy
-And I have some waves stuff on my sub master (I've heard anecdotally waves can be finicky?)

not getting any crazy spikes on bounce. it also does go away sometimes, but want to know if this rings a bell with anyone here.
Old 12-25-2019, 04:59 PM

Default Re: Printed Pops/Errors On Offline Bounce

How about just re making the topic, without calling someone crazy and starting the topic off with personal attacks? Please kindly tell me precisely where the advice I gave you was wrong?.. I said to make sure there was *plenty* of blank space at the end to capture the entire reverb tail as I felt that may be giving a pop (and the same sometimes happens here also with reverb cut off). I also suggested trying commit instead of bounce, if you commit a track rather than clip, pro tools auto compensates the tail down to -144db.
So you start the topic like this and then expect "that member" not to come in to defend themselves. I am leaving it there but I will leave you with this last tidbit... I was genuinely trying to help you prior. Oh, my suggestion, just for this one casem to try disable altiverb in case it was having an issue with offline bounces was also good advice.. to try narrow it down. My advice was precisely *exactly* what you should be trying. Because if those three things do not work, then it's a bug and there's no way around it. What possible other remedies could there be? Anyway, you can easily see if there is still audio signal when the pop occurs (i.e the bounce time needs to be lengthened) by seeing if there is any meter activity on the mixer channel before the pop happens, indicating the presence of remaining reverb tail.

I actually apologised for over reacting and explained what was going on with Sardi.

I will say this though.. I had absolutely no right to play my part in turning your thread into that fuster cluck, and no matter what, I am sincerely sorry for that., truly. I was ashamed the next day and should have stayed away from any forum altogether when I was in a rage about something that happened elsewhere and I brought it here. That was 100 percent my fault and I am sorry and I will not do that again. Believe it or not, no matter what anyone else says, this is the only example in the entire DUC where I started with the first stack. No one will find any other example.

Good luck with your problem. I give you my word I will not reply again in this topic, but I WILL be reading it to see what fixes it, if anything.

Last edited by TNM; 02-03-2020 at 09:47 PM. Reason: terrible spelling
Old 12-25-2019, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateAlexander View Post
For some reason when I bounce offline at the very end of the export I'm getting a pop at the end of the bounce that gets printed at the TOP of the audio file.

It sounds like the kind of pop you get from on a verb plugin when you stop playback in the middle of a clip(s).
I have never experienced this before. Why would you get a pop from stopping playback? What is your session setup sync option set at (jam sync, freewheel, etc.)? The playback engine does not stop with the transport so the reverb tail should continue to play. I'm sensing you have a larger problem with your configuration if you experience this/think it is normal.

Troubleshooting tips:
Are there any tempo changes? And if so, do you have Echoboy clocked to the session tempo?

Are you on the very latest Soundtoys? (they've had issues with SoundToys 5 and have constantly needed bug fixes.)

Which exact Waves plugins are you using?

Have you tried disabling all plugins and then re-adding them back one by one or in groups to see when the problem returns?

Have you checked any of your bounces (with the pop printed) to see if they have DC offset? If so you may need to find the culprit stem and filter it.
Old 12-26-2019, 09:35 AM

Curious what happens if you turn off automation? BScout's DC offset idea is a good possibility too. You can try muting/de-activating most/all of your tracks and then adding them in one by one to see if it's a specific track.

There's not a lot of info to go on here - don't know what you've tried/checked already?

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 12-26-2019, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateAlexander View Post
Getting seriously jammed up bouncing stems out live right now...

It's a plugin. (It's always a plugin). Experienced the exact same issue with, I think it was Black Hole.

You'll have to disable the plugins and bounce 1 at a time to find which one. Then complain to the manufacturer.

Or just bounce in real time.
Old 12-27-2019, 04:02 PM

Or put a quick fadeout on the master track's volume. Or Import after bounce(if SRC or dither are NOT involved), add a fade at the end of the track and then export it

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave