Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2019, 02:20 PM

Default Printed Pops/Errors On Offline Bounce

Getting seriously jammed up bouncing stems out live right now...

For some reason when I bounce offline at the very end of the export I'm getting a pop at the end of the bounce that gets printed at the TOP of the audio file.

It sounds like the kind of pop you get from on a verb plugin when you stop playback in the middle of a clip(s).

-PT v. 2019.10.0
-Windows 10, 64-bit
-Saffire Pro 40
w/ a 1024 buffer size (I had raised it incrementally from 256 as an attempt to fix the issue)
-The verbs/delays (since I'm wondering if that's the culprit) are 3x Altiverb returns and 1x Echoboy
-And I have some waves stuff on my sub master (I've heard anecdotally waves can be finicky?)

not getting any crazy spikes on bounce. it also does go away sometimes, but want to know if this rings a bell with anyone here.
Old 12-21-2019, 04:52 PM

Default Re: Printed Pops/Errors On Offline Bounce

What happens if you add some blank space to the start and end of the timeline and bounce?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-21-2019, 05:10 PM

Is this only related to offline bounce? I mean is the old-fashioned realtime bounce still okay?
Old 12-22-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
What happens if you add some blank space to the start and end of the timeline and bounce?

well that is actually how i bounce always! the problem is that it prints the error/pop at the top of the new file, so while I could then chop it off, consolidate, and rename disk file with all the data, it kind of kills the time-saving element of bouncing offline
Old 12-22-2019, 03:07 PM

@JFreak

Yes!
Old 12-22-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateAlexander View Post
well that is actually how i bounce always! the problem is that it prints the error/pop at the top of the new file, so while I could then chop it off, consolidate, and rename disk file with all the data, it kind of kills the time-saving element of bouncing offline

Understood.

The reason I asked was to rule out any rogue automation or reverb tail decay etc.

If you have a master fader on the session, perhaps try drawing in a fade at the end of the track and bounce past that point.

Is this the only session it happens in?

Old 12-22-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateAlexander View Post
Getting seriously jammed up bouncing stems out live right now...

For some reason when I bounce offline at the very end of the export I'm getting a pop at the end of the bounce that gets printed at the TOP of the audio file.

It sounds like the kind of pop you get from on a verb plugin when you stop playback in the middle of a clip(s).

-PT v. 2019.10.0
-Windows 10, 64-bit
-Saffire Pro 40
w/ a 1024 buffer size (I had raised it incrementally from 256 as an attempt to fix the issue)
-The verbs/delays (since I'm wondering if that's the culprit) are 3x Altiverb returns and 1x Echoboy
-And I have some waves stuff on my sub master (I've heard anecdotally waves can be finicky?)

not getting any crazy spikes on bounce. it also does go away sometimes, but want to know if this rings a bell with anyone here.
why not just turn the verbs off, obviously this won't work for the mix, but just to see if it's an issue with altiverb? Also have you made sure you tick include extended clip or whatever the option is called, which makes sure it accounts for long release times of VI's as well as delay based plugins on audio tracks? The clip will this way print with the entire length of the effect in tact..
if you don't use this option, it will cut it off abruptly and put a pop exactly like you are saying.
Old 12-22-2019, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
Also have you made sure you tick include extended clip or whatever the option is called, which makes sure it accounts for long release times of VI's as well as delay based plugins on audio tracks? The clip will this way print with the entire length of the effect in tact..
if you don't use this option, it will cut it off abruptly and put a pop exactly like you are saying.

Unless the OP is committing his tracks, that shouldn’t affect him. If they are, then it’s another avenue to pursue for sure.

The thread title says offline bounce, so I would assume they are bouncing out the timeline offline, which would mean he needs to select a section. They mentioned they are extending their selection as well when I queried that.

I also only just caught that they mentioned it doesn’t happen with a real-time bounce which throws another spanner in the works.

Old 12-22-2019, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
Unless the OP is committing his tracks, that shouldn’t affect him. If they are, then it’s another avenue to pursue for sure.

The thread title says offline bounce, so I would assume they are bouncing out the timeline offline, which would mean he needs to select a section. They mentioned they are extending their selection as well when I queried that.

I also only just caught that they mentioned it doesn’t happen with a real-time bounce which throws another spanner in the works.

I saw "bouncing stems" sunshine and presumed we were talking about inline bounce/commit. He said absolutely NOTHING of the sort about manually extending the clip after. He talked about adding a fade to eliminate the pop then re commit. I don't know about you, but i always say bounce when I commit.. it could be that the OP is doing this as well and it was a fair question oh mighty one.
Where did he say it doesn't happen with a real time bounce? Not once.
Try to help someone, the forum cop jumps in.

He also said it goes away sometimes, which tells me it could be ending the bounce right at a zero crossing sometimes by fluke with the reverb tail and doesn't cause the pop.

Until the OP comes back and clarifies, my post stands. I actually READ what he wrote.
Old 12-22-2019, 05:13 PM

Just tested 3 offline bounces using BOUNCE rather than commit, and it will not continue to bounce after the clip has finished..only the selection.. so he said he extended a bit but did he extend enough to cover the *entire* revert tail?
So, if not using commit, my advice is use that instead and then you can extend clip after or PT will just do it automatically and get ALL the info.. so much faster and will avoid exactly what you are saying..

I just tested Pro R with 8 second decay using that method on piano track and zero clicks or pops.. perfect offline bounce :)
But it was there with the actual one called "bounce" cause of the reverb tail. I think this might be a simple problem that is easily solved and just a reverb issue.

it could even be altiverb having a brain fart on offline bounce for all we know but the first thing I would try is the method I suggested, commit with auto extend. Unless you absolutely need the file changing and MP3 features of bounce..
sadly PT can not properly calculate the length in this case of actual audio, it will bounce until the section ends, so add a LOT at the end and make sure there's zero reverb tail or any delay based effect still going, and I think the problem will be gone.