Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2020, 05:20 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2019.12 Ultimate Crashes 2019 Mac Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmccam View Post
Well, here's the update for posterity more so than anything else.

Again, Pro Tools is crashing on the plugins launching but it's never the same plugins that cause it to crash. It's been Trim Ha Ha! VariFi and Izotope are culprits as well. I don't suspect that it's any one plugin though, it's some bigger.

I also think that everyone who has this up and running is on OS 10.15.2, right? It might be something with OS 10.15.3. Either way, it's been a very unproductive day.

Thanks again everyone.

Ryan
Hey Ryan:

Are you downloading the latest versions of your plugins? I annually clean mine up. I leave the old ones out and bring them in one at a time.

I hope you can get a steady system going. I plan to try that move some time this year.

Carl
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 02-28-2020, 03:59 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2019.12 Ultimate Crashes 2019 Mac Pro

I just wanted to update this in case anyone references it.

I ended up formatting the drive and starting over. It defaulted to OSX 10.5.3. I installed Pro Tools and it worked. I then installed the HD Drivers and the HDX card, ran Digitest and it recognized the card. My HDX card is probably 5 years old and, as I mentioned, it came with all the necessary cables so I didn't need the Belkin cable.

Pro Tools now runs okay natively and on HDX. I’m working on it every day, and it's been running fine, as far as I can tell. I'm still missing a few key plugins though and would love an officially supported version.

The only explanation that I have for my issue is potentially a security preference, because I did miss turning on a security permission in the original install. That’s the only thing I did differently, so it’s either that or a fussy software thing.

I will say that the computer is amazing. I’m mixing a short film, which has a decent amount of sound design, and the system usage shows it running around 5%. In fairness, many of the plugins are AAX DSP but it’s pretty amazing either way.

It’s also incredibly quiet, which unfortunately points out the noise of the HDX fan when it ramps up. That doesn’t happen a lot though. I may be end up using more native plugins going forward.

I should also mention that on my S3/Dock, EuControl 2019.12 was really buggy but the new release, 2020.1, seems stable.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Ryan