Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2007, 01:15 PM

Default Keyboard Focus with Plug Ins Open

This problem has been annoying me for a long time, and maybe somebody knows of a solution:

When my Commands Keyboard Focus is on, and I have a plug-in window open, my single-key shortcuts don't work anymore. Not only that, but I inadvertently enter characters into fields in my plug-in window, and screw up my plug-in settings when trying to use the shortcuts.

Does anybody know of a way to use the keyboard focus shortcuts with the plug-in windows open?

Thanks
Old 03-21-2007, 01:25 PM

Default Re: Keyboard Focus with Plug Ins Open

welcome to DUC

pick one:

Solution 1.
Get rid of Waves.

Solution 2.
Realize Waves has it's own kbd focus when open.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:27 PM

Quote:
This problem has been annoying me for a long time, and maybe somebody knows of a solution:

When my Commands Keyboard Focus is on, and I have a plug-in window open, my single-key shortcuts don't work anymore. Not only that, but I inadvertently enter characters into fields in my plug-in window, and screw up my plug-in settings when trying to use the shortcuts.

Does anybody know of a way to use the keyboard focus shortcuts with the plug-in windows open?

Thanks
On mac hit "ESC" that should change your keyboard focus back to the time line...
Old 03-21-2007, 06:02 PM

Quote:

On mac hit "ESC" that should change your keyboard focus back to the time line...
Yea, or you can close the plugin, but by that time it's after I realize I have already tried to 'Track View Toggle' and I have "-" in the value window.
So I'm stickin' with my two solutions, mainly the first one
Old 03-25-2007, 09:28 AM

Keyboard focus isn't managed very well in the plugin's world, a lot of the Native Instruments stuff starts sucking keystrokes up, irritatingly the F1 to F4 keys I use a lot when editing MIDI.

There's definitely room for a few global options in Protools to settle how this works. A tick box on the plugin window for 'Focus' would be handy too.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Using "ESC" definitely helps. It keeps me from having to use the mouse, which is great.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:05 PM

New shortcut in 7.3 to hide/show floating windows: ctrl-opt-cmd-w (ctrl-start-alt-w on a PC)... Gets your plugins out of the way and returns keyboard focus to edit/mix window. Repeat the command to get your plugins/faders back. Very useful...even beyond the scope of this thread.