Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2016, 09:36 AM

Default Mbox 2 compatible with Windows 8/8.1 USB 3.0?

Hi,
Do the newest drivers for the Mbox 2 support USB 3.0 for Windows 8/8.1? I'm looking to buy an Mbox but I only have a USB 3.0 slot. Also, I plan to use it for Pro Tools and Cubase.
If they don't support the USB 3.0 would it work through a USB 2.0 hub?

Thank you
Old 06-15-2016, 09:43 AM

Default Re: Mbox 2 compatible with Windows 8/8.1 USB 3.0?

Why would you buy an old past official end-of life MBox 2 vs any number of better sounding, better performing and better supported third party USB interfaces?
Old 06-15-2016, 10:00 AM

I've used Mbox2 for a couple of years before so I know what I'm doing with it more.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:06 AM

Its a basic, not great, interface. There is not much to learn about it. And it's no longer supported. I think you are making a bad mistake even bothering to think about it.

The world is your oyster... Presonus, Focusrite, UAD, MOTU, and others...
Old 06-15-2016, 10:12 AM

I just want to know of it works with USB 3.0 or by using a USB 2.0 Hub.
I might end up buying a Focusrite Scarlett Solo, but I just wanna know that of I chose the Mbox 2, I could get it to work.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:22 AM

How about this Focusrite? Would it work using USB 3.0 or through a USB 2.0 HUB?
I only need something small with a couple of inputs like this
Old 06-15-2016, 01:55 PM

Many USB 2 interfaces will work on a USB 3 port.

You might get better help with Focusrite by directly asking them. Or if you search around you'll likely find folks are using them on USB 3.

I've generally been a fan of Focusrite, but I mostly use Mac and mostly use higher end-interfaces. And folks have been pointing out on DUC issues Focusrite have had with ASIO drivers on Windows. (these lower-end drivers are class compliant so do not need a vendor supplied CoreAudio driver on Mac).

Start by making sure the any interface has the IO ports you need, mic inputs, DI (i.e. electric guitar/bass) inputs, line inputs, S/PDIF digital inputs, headphone, line outputs, S/PDIF outputs etc. The next thing is what hardware monitoring etc. features the interface has which may or may not matter at all for you. The interface you mentioned has a single Mic preamp, and no S/PDIF digital IO, make sure that will work for you.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 06-15-2016 at 02:11 PM.
Old 07-01-2016, 02:24 PM

Well, you were right. I searched the DUC for the interface topic and found your helpful advice here - and will duly unload the MBox2 and look at personus/scarlett (or Clarett?) for PT 12.x

Speaking of presonus, my Sweetwater guy is pushing me towards their 44VSL (and urging a switch from PT to Studio One!).

You wrote:

"Thunderbolt 2 is embarassingly slow compared to current low-cost PCIe/NVMe SSDs"

My MBPro has inputs for both USB3 and Thunderbolt 2. Given your experience with Mac, will an interface utilizing the full capacity of those inputs (e.g., Focusrite Clarett w/Thunderbolt v. Scarlett,Presonus with USB2) make a significant difference, all other aspects being equal?

you wrote:

"you are likely to get more useful help if you state very clearly hard specs you need, how many mic preamps, how many line-in (are the mic and line-in simultaneous or not), S/PDIF, ADAT, what hardware/no latency monitoring features you want etc."

My needs:

Mic pre's: 2
Line in: 2 (not simultaneous)
Midi I/O yes (I assume my Midiman Midisport has undesirable latency)

I don't know much else about latency but for its general undesirability.

S/PDIF, ADAT:I haven't used my ADAT or DAT for years, so I'm not looking for compatibility.

As far as extras (3rd-party plugins, etc.), I intend to stay with whatever PT 12 comes with, as well as my Melodyne 4 Editor which I'm getting up to speed on.

As far as throughput/capacity, I never got close to maxing out in PT 7 and 8, altho the old G5 was another story. I never expect to be recording more than 48 tracks, probably closer to 16-24.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate your guidance.

MacBook Pro i7, 1TB SSD OSX 10.9.5
Glyph 1tb External HD 7200
002, Mbox Mini (both still working on OSX 10.9.5)
(Mbox records well, static on playback. Output works through MBP headphone jack)
External Acer 23" Screen

Still waiting to choose and to install PT 10-11-12

Old system (still running):

Mac G5 Dual 2.0, 5.5 gig memory
160 (main) & 80 (audio) gig internal hd's
OSX 10.4.11
PTLE 7.1,CS10,
002 Console
Reason 3.0, Live 5.2.2
Old 07-02-2016, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge View Post
My MBPro has inputs for both USB3 and Thunderbolt 2. Given your experience with Mac, will an interface utilizing the full capacity of those inputs (e.g., Focusrite Clarett w/Thunderbolt v. Scarlett,Presonus with USB2) make a significant difference, all other aspects being equal?

you wrote:

"you are likely to get more useful help if you state very clearly hard specs you need, how many mic preamps, how many line-in (are the mic and line-in simultaneous or not), S/PDIF, ADAT, what hardware/no latency monitoring features you want etc."

My needs:

Mic pre's: 2
Line in: 2 (not simultaneous)
Midi I/O yes (I assume my Midiman Midisport has undesirable latency)

I don't know much else about latency but for its general undesirability.

S/PDIF, ADAT:I haven't used my ADAT or DAT for years, so I'm not looking for compatibility.
According to your list of needs and considering your nice, powerful MBP i7 with Thunderbolt ports the most affordable yet seriously professional and most suitable solution will be this one imo.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Clarett2Pre
This is an interface which offers the lowest latency on the market, studio grade converters and mic pres for $450.- only. You canīt go wrong with your MBP and this little box. No matter which
recording software you will be using at the end of the day. It will be fine with Pro Tools, Logic, with every DAW out there.

Forget the Presonus stuff as they are ok but canīt compete with the Focusrite interfaces as for audio quality. Well, Studio One DAW may be tempting but Pro Tools still is the better stuff for audio
recording and mixing finally.
As you are on Mac you rather may consider Logic Pro X if looking for a Pro Tools replacement. Itīs a really powerful, seriously good DAW as well. And you never will run into compatibility issues
with any versions of OSX anymore because Logic comes from Apple now and will be updated via the app store automatically like your OSX.
It will be $199.- only yet offering tons of great stuff, professionally useable stuff like the coolest and most flexible Drum software/app ever seen and much more.

Anyway if you are used to Pro Tools why not stay with it? I think Avid will get it all sorted out by the time and PT will become more stable, more reliable again. There have been so many changes
in the tech departement and with the business model etc. which have caused a lot of issues. As things will settle in a way they will get back to make great recording software for sure.
Me personally still have no probs at all. Canīt complain. Running PT12.5.2 HD on OSX 10.11.5 on a Mid 2014 MBP i7 Quad and an UA Apollo Thunderbolt without any problems.
I additionally run Logic Pro X on my system successfully using it for various production stuff therefor I can recommend this one from my own positive personal experience as well.

2 alternative interfaces (below 1k) suiting your i7 Macbook Pro will be an
UA Apollo Twin Solo/Duo Thunderbolt (if you can afford a bit more itīs a fantastic option below 1k as for quality and stability)
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ApolloTwinS
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ApolloTwinD

or the little yet very well sounding
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (if you are on a very tight budget itīs the best sounding and most easy to handle interface on the market...on Mac itīs just plug and play, no software, no driver needed)
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Scarlet2i2G2

These are all working well with your MBP and Pro Tools as well as with Logic Pro X and they are sounding exceptionally well for the price. A lot better than the Presonus boxes of the same price range.

As you have a pretty modern, powerful computer with Thunderbolt ports let me recommend to buy a Thunderbolt interface. Itīs so much faster and so much more stable than any USB interface so that
itīs definitely worth the price in the long run.

As for the Midi interface you better get a separate one and connect it to your USB port. Many of the affordable yet really good sounding interfaces donīt offer an onboard Midi anymore. Itīs no big deal
actually. Get this one for example. They say it offers great performance as for latency (which means no noticeable latency) yet being quite affordable.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/iRigMIDI2

Whatever you decide to do finally I wish you the best of success.
Cheers.
Old 07-02-2016, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElSturge View Post

How about this Focusrite? Would it work using USB 3.0 or through a USB 2.0 HUB?
I only need something small with a couple of inputs like this
Like mentioned by Darryl already Focusrite on Mac is perfectly fine unlike with Windows where there were some people having software/driver issues with the latest versions of OS and hardware.
In general Focusrite use to work hard to get their boxes to work as itīs supposed to. However if you want the best and most reliable drivers/software for Windows/PC you might look into RME interfaces.
Iīm aware of that those arenīt really cheap but you canīt get better working stuff for Windows/PC systems. They have been making interfaces and drivers for PC for decades and they are really good at it.

This is their newest product and their most affordable one. Nevertheless itīs offering outstanding audio quality as for converters and pre amps and itīs perfectly fine for on the go. Itīs very compact yet
sturdy. If I would work with Windows/PC I definitely would go for this one. You wonīt get anything better for PC below 1k.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BabyfacePro
http://babyface.rme-audio.de

Btw RME have been partners with Steinberg Cubase for years as well which means this configuration will be perfectly fine...Windows/PC, RME interface, Cubase DAW. However it will work with Pro Tools well
too of course. RME are simply the best working interfaces for Windows/PC systems.

If this will be too much money I still can recommend the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (new version) as well as I have seen such a one working well with a current Windows system of a friend lately.
I think he used Windows 10 (not W8) anyway he confirmed that this interface has been great on his system. He used it with Pro Tools 12 and Appleton Live.
So you may give it a try.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Scarlet2i2G2

https://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-i...s/scarlett-2i2

Just make sure to meet all the requirements for your version of Pro Tools on your system and do all the optimization stuff before installing PT.
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...oting/en367983

And, yes, both the RME Babyface Pro and the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 do work on USB 3 ports as well even if they are USB 2 interfaces basically.
And, do yourself a favor and forget the MBox 2 with any current system. Itīs a great little box with the adequate version of OSX (Leopard, Snow Leopard, Lion for example) and older versions of Pro Tools like
LE7, LE8 etc. In this configuration it did a really good job indeed (I used it a lot back in the days). However it has been outdated with newer, more current systems from a technical point of view as well as for
compatibility. You wonīt get happy with it probably.

Anyway the best of success to you.